The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing how there are so many more turkey now than years ago. Are there specific reasons it has become that way? Is it game commission strategy?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Habitat. It's the same as stocking a pond that has all the right "science"...and then proclaiming yourself to be genius..LOL..just kidding.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Because the PGC stocks Mountain Lions that only eat deer.

(I almost feel guilty for this post....almost)

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Its not only Pa. but almost every other state. I hunted turkeys in NC for about ten years and have friends in the state. They have been e-mailing pictures of birds they have killed over past couple weeks and telling me how the turkey population has exploded in countys that once had few birds.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
There are turkeys in many parts of Pennsylvania that did not have them or were rare 30 years ago. As for my area, I saw more turkeys 30 years ago than I do now. I can't believe the Game Commission extended the 2C fall season another week. I think it's a predator issue with turkeys here. Very few coyotes and no fishers here 30 years ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes it was the work of the PGC along with the NWTF. Once the PGC made the decision to stop raising turkeya to stock and go with strictlu traop and transfer of wild birds from areas that had a good population the birds took off like wild fire. Many other states got trap and transfer birds from the PGC on a swap for other species have had their turkey populations increase dramatically. So long as we do not over shoot the birds, particularly hens and the managers keep a finger on the pulse of the populations we should continue to have a good population of turkey in PA.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
POSTED,,POSTED..and more POSTED...those signs on every tree in western PA have certainly caused the explosion in population. Nothing else has really changed all that much except for the amount of land that never get touched in the fall and leaves flocks untouched. We will have the greatest second two weeks in the history of PA hunting by the looks of the amount of two years old running around together without hens whom are still flocked up with the big boys, the 3-5 year old toms...the late spring by two or three weeks and fireworks should be taking place shortly..

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Turkey population is way down here in Mercer county.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
John S said:
Yes it was the work of the PGC along with the NWTF. Once the PGC made the decision to stop raising turkeya to stock and go with strictlu traop and transfer of wild birds from areas that had a good population the birds took off like wild fire. Many other states got trap and transfer birds from the PGC on a swap for other species have had their turkey populations increase dramatically. So long as we do not over shoot the birds, particularly hens and the managers keep a finger on the pulse of the populations we should continue to have a good population of turkey in PA.
With the season we have, I don't think overshooting them is a worry if the rest of the state is the same as here. There arn't as many hunters that focus on fall turkey like there once was. There was time when along towards the end of the season, flocks had undergone a bit of busting up and the hunt was interesting...now, I don't think some flocks even realize there is a season...LOL.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
NWTF, hab improvement, PGC. I remember vividly as a kid growing up in Warren County seeing my first "live" wild turkey. It was Thanksgiving morning 1978 (?). We had a trace of snow. I came across tracks and scratching, and then there she was. I'd hunted 3 years before I ever saw a turkey.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
mallardsx2 said:
Turkey population is way down here in Mercer county.
Seriously??..I've been watching HUGE flocks here and this year has a bumper crop of gobblers...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Decreasing participation in fall turkey seasons has also made an impact . Very few serious fall turkey hunters anymore compared to twenty or more years ago. The majority are spring only hunters so hens are getting very light harvest by hunters. Good hatches in recent years and mild winters don't hurt either. Hope this trend continues. Turkey populations in the three diff WMUs I hunt are all looking great.

·
20,126 Posts
bootmud said:
Not that many birds in some areas.
Yep, its not all rosey. In my heavily rural and agricultural area of SE PA turkeys are few and far between. We have them but they are rare. Its been almost two years now since I've heard a gobble in the spring in my township in Northampton County. Haven't heard a bird in 5 predawn scouts this Spring either. If I don't hear one this week it will be over two years lol. I know they are here so I persist but there aren't many and the one that are here are dead quiet. All the while the habitat appears perfect for me. I blame the absence on amazing amounts of predators. I see for more hawks, owls, fox, and coyotes then I do game species around my house. It sure isn't hunting pressure to me. After the opener I rarely see another hunter.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thier numbers are down considerably here. Predators are suspect.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Blitz- You hit the nail squarely on the head! I can recall a couple of nasty winters here in the big woods of PA when dead deer and turkeys littered the stream banks in the spring. It's been a long time since that has happened.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts