The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Sunday hunting just needing the governors signature why couldn’t it be implemented this season. An older guy at work told me they use to extend doe season if they felt the need so I don’t feel that time would be an issue. Just found it strange that it won’t be used this year after years and years of fighting for it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It was part of the deal, it was never intended for 2019, and chances are we may not see it for 2020, till surveys are sent out, crying takes place and the PFB yells louder...

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Now that I'm working again, the Saturday opener works for me and Sunday hunting would work even better.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Knowing PA hunters like I do, this season could be a bit chaotic for some folks. Lots of guys won't know about the new opener, going to wonder on Monday why the PGC mountain lions kilt all the deers. Donny down the bar heard we can hunt Sundays and now, there will for sure be guys out hunting. It's always a little Western here in rifle season, all this change it's going to be even more so.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Because laws don't take effect for 90 days after they've been passed, signed, finalized, etc. and the 90 days will be after the end of 2019. I suppose they could use it then to add a sunday to spring turkey in 2020 if that's what they decide.
Hey it's all part of the government bureaucracy, what do you expect? Efficiency?

·
Registered
126 Posts
With Sunday hunting just needing the governors signature why couldn’t it be implemented this season. An older guy at work told me they use to extend doe season if they felt the need so I don’t feel that time would be an issue. Just found it strange that it won’t be used this year after years and years of fighting for it.
Actually, those doe season extensions we're illegal and that is why they were no longer used

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Actually, those doe season extensions we're illegal and that is why they were no longer used

I had no idea this was the case. If so, a perfect example of why legiscritters need to quit meddling in wildlife management.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had no idea this was the case. If so, a perfect example of why legiscritters need to quit meddling in wildlife management.
IIRC, regulation changes need to be posted in the PA Record for 60 days before they become effective. This is why a quick change in a season is illegal

·
Registered
386 Posts
IIRC, regulation changes need to be posted in the PA Record for 60 days before they become effective. This is why a quick change in a season is illegal
But adding a day on to a season, like adding a Saturday to Doe season, due to low harvest, is not a law change. It is simply a change to the season.

Now, adding Sunday is probably a law change, but once it is made legal to hunt on Sundays, don't see why you need anything special to add an additional day later in the year.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
But adding a day on to a season, like adding a Saturday to Doe season, due to low harvest, is not a law change. It is simply a change to the season.

Now, adding Sunday is probably a law change, but once it is made legal to hunt on Sundays, don't see why you need anything special to add an additional day later in the year.
I would think that the extension of season due to low harvest numbers was provided for when the seasons were approved. So this was addressed when the season was approved.

I don't recall of the addition of an extra day ever being found to be illegal. I think it just stopped with the establishment of concurrent antler/antlerless season. But I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Seasons and bag limits need to be advertised

1 - 12 of 12 Posts