The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i find it somewhat silly that you hear the 270 and 30-06 fans comparing them to the 7mm rem mag and 300 mags.. i continually hear statements like my 270 will do everything a 7mm mag will do ..and its just not true! i love thm all, and all are very good cal. but a 270 and 30-06 are no 7mm mag or 300 mag..i often use the example..when i was in 9th or 10th grade i used to lift weights in the gym with the bigger seniors..they would bench 220lbs which was all the weight there was..so i worked and worked until i could bench 220lbs..my boast was "i can lift as much as they could"...which just wasn't true for while we all were benching 220lbs, some of those older boy's could have benched much more. while you may be able to reach 3000fps with a 140 grain nosler in your 270 win (if your lucky)..YOU WILL NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS REACH 3300fps like the mags!!...a deer will never know the diffrence...true true..but your 270 or 30-06 is not a 7mm mag or a 300 mag the same as my pickup is not the same as a vet... all are very good cal in there place where they should be..no need to apologies for using a 270 or 30-06 very capable...but your only kidding yourself by comparing them...a little more weight..(very little)..and a little more recoil...but if you want a little extra performance it's the price you have to pay...and that my friends "is the rest of the story"

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
"Why keep comparing...." I guess 'cause it's fun to argue the merits of one's favorite cartridge. Truth is in real world hunting here in PA not many folk will ever shoot much past 100-200 yds (and that's stretching it) while hunting deer. Unless you're set up to do some "field shooting", under 100 yd. shots are more likely the norm in Penns Woods. All the cartridges you mentioned will fill the bill in that regard. For me, I guess having a 7 or 300 mag to shoot whitetail here in the mountains is a bit like having a Porsche with a speed limit of 55. Certainly nice to have but not necessary.
Heck I actually load down my 270 Win and '06's to hunt deer...I like venison.

Muab

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
took the words out of my mouth Muab Dib. My uncle carries a 300 win mag when we hunt....I always bust on him and ask him if he is expecting to see a buffalo or a 500yd opening in the middle of the woods! when he does shoot a deer with it, I refuse to butcher it for him because there is usually way too much damage to salvage a full quarter, where the shot hit. The super magnum calibers have their place, but I have to agree, it isn't in the PA woods. Not if you like the taste of deer meat! Never been into the "me shoot big gun, so me better hunter" caveman mentality.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
If you can't handle the recoil stay away, me I like my .300 even though I do shoot the little ones too.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Shade mt.
GREAT POST! I agree 100%

Magnums equal meat damage???? That is nothing but a bunch of BS. Poor bullet choice equals meat damage. I have yet to see any deer shot with any caliber that didnt have meat damage.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
If you hit a deer directly in front shoulder with a .300 you will get maximum damage, shoot them behind the shoulder and loss is minimal.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
rflktrman said:
If you hit a deer directly in front shoulder with a .300 you will get maximum damage, shoot them behind the shoulder and loss is minimal.
Very true.

If you shoot a deer on the shoulder with a .270 you will get virtually the same meat damage as with a magnum.

Shot placement.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
shade mt said:
but your only kidding yourself by comparing them...a little more weight..(very little)..and a little more recoil...but if you want a little extra performance it's the price you have to pay...and that my friends "is the rest of the story"
Here's what I got out of your post:

For the of hope getting folks to agree with you, you minimize the negative features of the magnums, and you maximize the positives of them...Your points would be a little more convincing if you were more open minded and not trying to sway everyone to your way of thinking.......The recoil of a magnum is not "just a little more", and in any two "same" rifles, the magnum will weigh more and after a day of carrying one around on a mountain it will seem like a LOT more.....The extra 200-300 fps is useful ONLY on super long shots and there you would still need to know precise distances of your quarry before it would be any use to you. Anyone feeling the need to use, say, a 300 Winchester for common woods shooting in Pa. suffers from a lack of confidence in their own shooting ability to cleanly kill an animal with a lesser cartridge...I call it a crutch.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
This past year in anticipation of going out west i purchased a model 700 300 win. mag. I took it out this past deer season in 2 states just to see what it was capable of. In the past i've used a 30-06 for the previous 20 years.

Saying that i will give my honest opinions. I absolutely fell in love with the accuracy of my mag. Heavy? Absolutely..not great for drives slung on your shoulder fighting brush!

MY next breath I know may be hard to believe and i wouldn't but i seen it firsthand with 5 deer this past year. My meat damage was very very minimal with the mag. To be honest i had WAY more damage with .06 shots and to be honest ive had more carnage with broadheads in the past! As said before i hunted 2 states and was 5 for 5 with only 2 complete passthroughs and 1 of those was a neck shot. I realize it may be the load i'm shooting. 3 deer dropped in tracks and 2 ran less than 30 yards. Distances were from 20 yds to 280 yds.

Shooting the lighter bullet at those kinds of speeds it just expands all its energy as soon as it hits and doesnt exit. I realize for out west i will need a heavier bullet but for PA it works great.

This coming season i will take the mag for hunts in the stands but will choose a lighter gun for drives and such,

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yo first let me say I've shot deer with many cal.s and after the shot damage to me can't tell what they were shot with most times. I've been shootin deer with my .270 since 1973 and not once has any went more then a few steps, most go right down and that's that. Your totally right about 06's .270's. I have my .300 rum and it's got everything below it covered and then some. Their's no question about it... How and why dose a .243, or 30.30 drop deer like a ton of bricks I don't know but they do as with 06,270. My .300 is set up that most all guys on HPA could shoot it the mag-na-port and R-3 pad makes it no more then 06. When huntin it's just bare barrel. I also get a kick out of some who go on and on about their super shot placement non mags. I say GOOD FOR YOU. The other guys say OH here in Pa. shots are under 50yds. Yes they can be and I agree but when I want I can sit on fields 1000 yds. and use my 300. Like you said don't try to make your S-10 an F250 never works. I just read a post about the .243 bear gun 1 shot kill. Ok I'ed never say it didn't happen but I'ed say why every time. My .300 RUM is no 416 Rigby and no 06, .270 will ever be my RUM 180gr. over 3000fps which converts to ft. lbs. of knock down power. Also I don't care much about damaged meat I go for backstraps and give the rest to non-hunters the damaged meat makes jerky anyways. You and me have the last laugh anyways....later

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
once again we seem to be missing the point..i never said the 270 or 30-06 are not great calibers..nor did i ever say you needed a magnum for deer..i actually use a 25-06 more often than not.and by the way..depending on where you hit a deer with the 25o6 it can be very messy. iv'e used everything from a 243 to a 300 mag love them all..but i accept each one for what they are..you guy's that keep comparing the 270 and 30-06 to the 7mm mag and 300 mag are just not accurate or truthful in your statements.and blind to the plain cold truth..BIGKEN i have no need to try to persuade others to the way i think truth is truth no matter who states or believes it and the truth is NO!!..270 or 30-06 CAN EVER BALLISTICALLY MATCH A 7MM MAG or a 300MAG!!!!..that's the plain hard truth..like it or not..and as far as weight of the mag vs the non mag..quit blowing smoke and post some accurate weight figures for each..trust me when comparing same brand and model rifles your looking at a pound difference..1POUND!!..go to your refrigerator cause thats about the equivelent to 4 sticks of margarine..lol..hardly enough to wear a guy out after a day of hunting..and if it is ,i'd say it's more of an out of shape issue rather than a mag rifle...to sum it all up..i love the 270 30-06 as noted one of my all time favorites is the 25-06...but i'm honest enough to keep them all in there rightful place ballistically..nothing more and nothing less..and that my friends is the plain hard truth

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
No a 06 will not equal a 300WM.

However, under 300 yards the extra boom is just for bragging points. The difference in a Max point blank range for a 06 and a std 165gr bullet (common) and a 300 with a 180gr bullet (common) is about 27 yards if I remember right. (MPBR is where when holding on a spot, the bullet will not travel more than 3 in high , and 3 in low from the line of sight anywhere in its path.)
Over 300, if a person knows his weapon, the 06 can hold its own for another 200 yards. You are going to be doping drops with both over 300. That is not where a magnum shines.

The speed advantage of the magnum keeps the bullet at a velocity where it will perform at longer ranges where the std calibers velocity will make the bullet performance questionable.
That is the magnum advantage.

They are no more or less accurate than any other chambering. They are also not lasers.

So, in a nutshell, if you are not hunting critters with bullets that need a lot of speed to function at 500+ yards, whats the point?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the point is a 30-06 is not a 300 mag and a 270 is not a 7mm mag...each have their respected place and followers..i just don't understand why some joes are bent on trying to make a magnum out of perfectly good rounds..or why guy's that choose to use the magnums are alway's flamed by the guy's that use 270's and 300's..i use and love them all..and for those of you that think all magnum shooters shoot magnums as a crutch....bring your comments to the rifle range....there is a 300 win mag in my gun case that i'll be willing to bet i can outshoot 95% of the naysayers with..very, very accurate...and that my friends is no crutch..

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I am taking my first trip out west in 2012 to Seven J Outfitters. They are on the outdoor channel a lot. The owners are Jeff and Deb Smith.

He told me, hands down, to bring a .300 Win Mag or bigger. He said they have had way more "adventures" with .270's and 30.06's than they like. The most powerful gun I own is a .270 and it is my "pet" gun and I wanted to take it, but I am going to follow his advice.

Just basically passing on info from someone who was a lot more experience with big game hunting than most of us.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Easy answer.

Advertising.

It used to be that one could buy a surplus 30-40 Krag using real basic 200 gr RN bullets or a 30-30 and whatever was on the shelf and expect to kill deer.
Now we have gun magazines that tout the need for everything faster/more powerful/expensive because the deer of today seem to be armored with ceramic plate.

Add that to the bragging rights that guys like to have (aka Home Improvement) and you will always get people who feel the need to hot rod everything. Some are hot loading the 06, others are buying the Mag-du-juor.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
TedC54 said:
I am taking my first trip out west in 2012 to Seven J Outfitters. They are on the outdoor channel a lot. The owners are Jeff and Deb Smith.

He told me, hands down, to bring a .300 Win Mag or bigger. He said they have had way more "adventures" with .270's and 30.06's than they like. The most powerful gun I own is a .270 and it is my "pet" gun and I wanted to take it, but I am going to follow his advice.

Just basically passing on info from someone who was a lot more experience with big game hunting than most of us.
On the other hand, I grew up next to a guy who was a travel agent for outfitters. He did all of the hunts up to and including Alaskan brown bear and his biggest rifle was a 06. http://www.thercoutfitters.com/ He took it with a 180 gr BarnesX
I heard the opposite from him. The outfitters would rather you brought what you were good with than what was on the cover of the last gun rag.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Shot placement is way more important than bullet energy, given a reasonable minimum. If you hit 'em in the right place, it doesn't matter what you use- you'll get your game. If you hit 'em in the wrong place, it still doesn't matter- you probably won't get your game.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am one of those bozo's who took a 300 lb bear with a 243. Went down in less then 30 yards and made a beautiful rug. At the time i wasn't hunting for bear but knew my rifle very well. He gave me a perfect broadside shot.It was in the concurrent deer/bear season in 3C. I am definately a 270 guy but have all the magnums too. 7mm's 300's they all have their place but you can't compare apples to oranges. My go to gun is a 270 then a 243. It's basically each his own. If an animal is hit well They go down. It doesn't matter what caliber it is.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts