The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
39,021 Posts
Some of the "newer" folks may not know about the assorted goodwill missions that have transpired on here over the past 17 years.

Like the family that lost almost everything in a fire not long before Christmas and the terrific response from HPA members, in offering them a bit of cheer. It even included "Santa" and a sleigh, drawn by a pair of goats, or "something"? Just kidding 'bout the goats.

0:)

The "Looking For Someone" thread is in a class all by itself and should soften the hardest heart.

Plenty of other nifty things have happened, when folks pitched in to bring someone else a bit of comfort and happiness, during hard times and tragedy.
Have not seen, or spoken to Rob in years. Hope he, and his family are doing well.

·
Administrator
39,021 Posts
Hard to believe I've been around for over 17 years at this place. Not a TON of faces still here from those days. Ford Ranger, Beenthere, Livetohunt, Dr Trout just to name a very very few. All characters that kept the place lively to say the least lol. I think the fact that I never really got into social media like instagram and FB until very recently has kept me interested in the site for so long. Also the ability to avoid huge arguments that boil over has helped although I am the not so proud author of one of the most legendary argument posts this site has ever and probably will ever see years back haha. Not my finest hour........ Pretty much everyone I hunt with today has come from this site in one way or another. It's too bad the site purges cause I would LOVE to go back to Feb 2001 and see some of the conversations had back when Gerald owned the place. Things were a LOT different and a lot more free flowing back them. Everyone knew pretty much every member and it was a funny time. It was more like a small town compared to the big city we live in here now. I occasionally wonder if Gerald every comes to this site to see what it has become and wonder if he's proud of it or not. I still miss the old format and stuff and am not as active as I was back then but it's a cool place still. Finding traction in this day and age with some many options if tough. HPA and stood the test of time thus far.
I believe this site was at it's best when RB-HPA (John) owned it!

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
RB? Pah! Some of us don't miss him at all.

Probably because we still get to heckle him now and then?

:wink2:

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Have not seen, or spoken to Rob in years. Hope he, and his family are doing well.

I remember when his house burned up on GL 51, right before Xmas time. I was kinda new to the board here if I remember right, and felt very sorry for him, as he had a young family, and lost all. I asked my wife for a check, and sent him $50 I believe, from an address (a relative of theirs) listed on here. She questioned my sanity when I told her I never met him, and didn't really know him.

The next year, after having some conversation about wild edibles we both enjoyed to hunt, ramps and morels, I met him at his house, and gave him a fishing pole I no longer used. He was still scrambling to recover from the fire, and couldn't buy the non-essentials yet. He told me where I could find some ramps on the mountain. ....... never mentioned a morel spot. haha

Anyhow, he went back to school, got a degree environmental related if I remember right. Last I heard from him in PM, about 5 years ago or better, he moved from the Uniontown area, and was living in Jefferson Hills. AND, of all things, he was working for the Pittsburgh Steelers in their office, doing what, I don't know.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Best when RB had it, most definitely, he's not on here much anymore, still follow him on FB, his dad is undergoing chemo right now and RB has found himself a great gal since his divorce and enjoying his kids....

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ive had a lot of help and inspiration from HPA members. Since we got our slice of heaven in Bradford co. in 2010 the habitat forum has been a go to for advice. when I wanted to try making a wingbone call ,fall gobbler was nice enough to literally send me a step by step tutorial. Call came out nice, made a few more.
When we were planting seedlings ,HomeInTheWoods who lived an hour from camp gave us dozens of tubes and stakes ,most of which are still used. He spent several hours showing us all the work he's done at his place habitat wise. Would take us years to do whats he's done.
Blacksmith let me know I had won one of his knives as a longest turkey beard prize. Knife fits me like a glove and almost afraid to use it much but that's what he said it was for. A true craftsman Randy is.
Randy Kuntz , a sponser here and a great young taxidermist did a fine job on my biggest buck.
If you cant find somebody here to help you out then you may have a bigger problem than you think.
So, thank you all for contributing to a fine site and RB should be proud of what he's started.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I had breakfast with RonM and Timberdoodle, 2 great guys ! I still see Timber occasionally, and I have had the pleasure of watching his dogs run the bunny's.

Have shared several PM's over the years and gotten to know several others "via internet". Lots of good people.

I also agree this site was at it's best back n RB's day's.

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
R.S.B. thru PM's helped me pick a spot for bear on SGL 44, took my son, he was 15. My son got a 200lb bear opening day..THANK YOU

got together with Tntelkhunter for a bobcat, i tagged out 2 hours after the start of the season...THANK YOU

i bought an awesome taurus 44 mag revolver from a member whose name i cant recall...THANK YOU

and a ton of information exchanged with a lot of members on this site, a big THANK YOU to all

all of us have differences of opinions, we all bicker like families during the holidays and we all stick together, thats what makes this a "Family" site :)

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Finally got to meet RSB a year or two before he retired, after pestering him on here for years. Long before that, joked with two of his fellow game wardens who work at HQ, that the boss should order him to come to Harrisburg to a BOC meeting, so's I could meet him without having to drive to Elk County.

Both of 'em laughed, said Dick would probably resign, before leaving home to come to Harrisburg. The one day at a meeting, one of 'em called me over to meet RSB in the lobby.

:smile2:

Know people that went on his habitat tours and bugged me to come along. Said even if my feet were sore at the end of the day, the food would be worth the agony.

Sent Rob a new pair of insulated camo bibs that weren't quite big enough for me, back when they had their troubles and lost their home. Pretty sure they don't still fit him now either, judging by what I see of him on FB?

>:)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Figured I'd add another post to my thread. I have an awesome slate call made for me by RatherBeHunting. I have been on a turkey rampage since I've had it. To my dismay, I chipped the tip off the striker this spring. I contacted RBH to see about him fixing it for me. I sent it off to him and he got it back to me in no time. I sent him a message asking how much I owed him and he PM'ed me back saying no charge.
That call is so awesome that I had him make one for my dad as a retirement gift and I'm having him make one for my son right now for a birthday gift.

Thanks a ton Kevin!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have also had a lot of great interactions on here. And some not great, but as RSB said, it all is good.

I've had a few members help with hunting info via PM. I wish I could give them credit, but they'd prefer I don't, so I'll respect that.

Met a few at places like Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair and the 18th Century Artisan Show.....all good folks.

Would be great to meet more HPA folks, find some opportunities to share hunts, fishing trips, etc. I like to think I'm easy to get along with... :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I’ve been a member here since 2002. I don’t post all that often, but really enjoy reading everyone’s posts. I’ve seen a lot of members come and go and often wonder what happened to them. Reading some of the names brought up in this thread has been a bit of a blast from the past, lol.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Great Thread Kudu!!

I've been a member here 15 years plus served as a Moderator on numerous forums during this time. Have made many fine friends here including spending time with quite a few members on hunting & fishing trips which memories I so cherish. They ranged from TN wild boar hunts, Chincoteague Sika Deer hunts, striped bass fishing, flounder fishing plus several Late Season Flintlock Hunts!! Also have had a few site spats over the years which are now in my rear view mirror and are a fading dim in light viewing my positive HPA tenure.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have been a member since 2012 and I enjoy reading the posts and seeing pictures from other members. Pa has such a large diverse habitat and HPA is a great forum to keep updated on other regions of the state.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I've been away from the site for a while, but still come back and read threads every once in a while. Not nearly as much as I have in the past, but with Archery season coming up, I've been logging in a lot more lately. I've met so many great people on here over the years. Love talking trash with all the Pittsburgh sports fans (all for fun really although some were always a little over the top.... maybe I was too?!?!? LOL...), but I found my best friend on here, from a Pittsburgh fan none the less.... my yellow Lab, Finn!

When I was training him, I received a ton of help from other members on here , and even met up with a few for some pheasant and grouse hunts. Also met up with some other guys on here for Archery hunts, and had quite a few offers to go fishing on people's boats. Just a great community to be a part of. I look forward to getting back into the boards again, and devoting more time to hunting and fishing. I kind of strayed away for a little while while my kids were getting bigger and I put more time into other hobbies. I'm really feeling the itch lately, and cant wait until hunting season starts up again this year!

Great idea for a thread!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ive been here ten years after my grandfather told me about the sight because his pharmacist was telling him about the buck contest hpa used to have. I dont post much anymore other than in the classifieds but i still read some of the posts for amusement. Ive bought and sold a good bit of stuff on here and all was positive. I actually met one of my beat friends off here three years ago! He’s hunted at my camp, ive hunted at his, hopefully we get into some bears this year!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts