The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like ML hunting is the redheaded stepchild of hunting methods in PA. Archery has evolved from long/recurve bows to include compound & X bows, why do we have a problem including caplocks/inlines in a season of its own when we can look for a buck? I already understand nothing prohibits the use during the regular firearms season, but the same argument could be made for archery, the compound bows is a lot easier to use than a recurve & will accurately shoot further with far less practice so maybe it needs a more restricted season & taking X bows out of archery & throwing into the regular rifle season now that some x bow manufacturers are advertising the 100 yard accuracy.
So what is the concern about inlines and caplocks?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
The answer more than likely is that the Bow hunters have had more of a voice in the legislature, both in numbers and length of time.

ML hunters would certainly be able to organize and petition for additional opportunities, but it would not happen overnight, and nobody wants to wait on something to happen, they want it now.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
There is a Muzzleloader Season in October and you can use what ever you want, inline,caplock,flintlock.

There is a Flintlock Season in December/January where you can only use a Flintlock.

Archery season includes about anything with a string on it
Rifle season is any rifle, with caliber restriction.(including Muzzleloader)

So tell me what is it that you have a problem with?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would like to see the first week of October set aside for primitive weapons either sex deer. You could use flintlock ,recurve ,longbow, and crossbow with no cams or wheels and no telescope sights on any weapon.In pa you can only harvest one antler deer per year so this shouldn't change the harvest at all. You could call it a Heritage Hunt.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
My guess as to why MLs are "restricted" is...they were the last to have a established season...most of the days we have to hunt were already filled... the PGC didn't want to reduce already established seasons to make room for another...harvest goals were already being met...achems razor...:smile2:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
The true answer is there hasn't been a unified effort. If you want to have a productive discussion and not alienate many supporters, sell merits of the season. No need to tear down archery. Most guys are multi weapon hunters anyway.

I agree open sighted flintlocks and maybe cap sidelocks should have a chance before modern rifles. Week of Thanksgiving seems reasonable to me. No drives allowed in that season ideally. Keep scoped inlines where they belong, in rifle season.

I also think longbows and recurves deserve a separate season, maybe give that 2 or 3 weeks prior to current archery opener.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow semi autos for big game.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow Sunday hunting.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow inclines in the late season after Christmas. This is a valid argument just like the first two.
You really want to see the fur fly. Wait until the proponents of the air bow start their rant. Some on this board have already posted opinions and pictures of the ones they own.

·
Registered
628 Posts
for the first time in my hunting history I,m going to buy a good scoped crossbow and hunt when the rut is in full swing( more record bucks are killed then). last year in the fall turkey season over thanksgiving I saw several very large love sick bucks chaseing does and with a crossbow they would have been duck soup(25-40 yards).

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow semi autos for big game.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow Sunday hunting.
Pa is one of the few states that do not allow inclines in the late season after Christmas.
Aint it cool? Just a few of the things that make PA a great place to be a hunter. Don't change a thing. :smile_big:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not that it matters either way to me, I only inline hunt in MD to keep the population down on the farm, but you can limit the use of inlines. Look at the western states for example. The restrict the use of inlines by making it illegal to use a scope on a muzzleloader. MLs must be all open sights, fiber optic or iron sights. Just a thought

Most of the reason I would assume PA doesn't allow the use though is to maintain the heritage of the state and this particular season as it is very recognized throughout the country.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
The true answer is there hasn't been a unified effort. If you want to have a productive discussion and not alienate many supporters, sell merits of the season. No need to tear down archery. Most guys are multi weapon hunters anyway.

I agree open sighted flintlocks and maybe cap sidelocks should have a chance before modern rifles. Week of Thanksgiving seems reasonable to me. No drives allowed in that season ideally. Keep scoped inlines where they belong, in rifle season.

I also think longbows and recurves deserve a separate season, maybe give that 2 or 3 weeks prior to current archery opener.
there really isnt enough time in the year to separate hunting into more "weapon" specific seasons. PA would have to be like some southern states, start in August for velvet bucks and then move into buck and doe, use any legal weapon of your choice. since a limited number of doe tags are issued it wouldnt affect that harvest at all. the bigger question is the buck harvest if they did this. basically a 4 month buck season with your choice of weapon.

it doesnt harm their population why would it harm us ? OH...this PA things are different here !!

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
The ML season here in pa has not “evolved” to include more modern weapons because from the beginning it was intended to be a flintlock season. It was asked for by traditional shooters who wanted a season to use traditional weapons and wear period clothing, not fluorescent orange. I have not looked this up but I believe pa has the only flintlock only season in the country and I personally feel it should remain unchanged at least in terms of arms. I suppose an argument could be made for sidekick percussion guns but where the fun in that?! Lol

Inlines do not belong in a traditional season but if they could find a spot a any black powder season would be fine with me. There is only so much year though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Move the ML season to a week in the rut for buck or doe

Include pistols
exclude scopes

This would sell a lot more licenses and would take out more of the older bucks that spread the most CWD.

Bowhunters should share the wealth. They can also hunt this week.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Move the ML season to a week in the rut for buck or doe

Include pistols
exclude scopes

This would sell a lot more licenses and would take out more of the older bucks that spread the most CWD.

Bowhunters should share the wealth. They can also hunt this week.
dont move, add and I’m all for it but many archers won’t be.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It would not sell more licenses! It is just another wish list that makes no sense other than this is what I want. People want a change, if the change is made they want another change, then people who feel they were somehow slighted want another change and on and on it goes in the whine cellar of PA. In the last decade and longer we have had many changes to seasons and sporting arms and bag limits. How about we try have consistency for a change. Change if necessary is one thing, change for the sake of change and to satisfy wish lists is quite another.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ah, yes to be able to hunt in heavy rut. makes sense to me. but the stringers would be pissed, what about making stringers use only recurves? waiting for the moans and groans.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Kind reminds me of the little kid in Dickens's Oliver Twist who held out his plate and asked for :more please". It is always more please, one day there will be no more to give.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts