The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me, but why do a lot of the post on here seem to give the impression that some archery hunters think of them selves as an elite group ?
Is it the TV shows, the merchandiser that constantly bombard them with new items to buy that they need to be successful, the extra time they put into practicing to become proficient, or the fact that the different wildlife agency's seems to promote the archery more than the firearm season?
Can someone please explain to me this concept I have, so that I can some how understand it. Hopefully I will then not get so POed when I read a remark that seems to promote the the feeling of seniority.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I think it is because they need the animal to be close. That does require a bit of additional skill and commitment when you are pursuing white tailed deer.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I believe the PGC pushes archery so much because it works in the urban areas where the deer problems are.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree they make it seem if you don't hunt with a bow you shouldn't be even a aloud to be in the woods i would like to see it go back to shooting fingers with pin sights then you would see them drop[ like flies because half of them couldn't shoot with out a release

·
Registered
94 Posts
Personally i believe many watch to much tv and in there own mind they become one of there favorite tv personalities and feel they are above all others.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
I don't beleave archers think of themselves as an elite group, WHERE do you get that impression???

If you want to learn what they do in archery season and see how it goes...START archery and then you might answer your question.

·
Registered
20,408 Posts
Keep it civil folks and pertaining to the OP's question.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Is anyone else as happy as me knowing the two week gun season, where anyone can practically aim and shoot is over?? too many crazy people running around in the woods during those weeks just shooting anything that moves.

C'mon guy, this is the post you made in the archery forum. Some people seem to give the impression? That comment makes a great impression itself. Wouldn't you say?

I am foremost a bow hunter, I love it, live it, breath it, but I would never make that comment. A little harsh to say the least.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Alright here's my $0.02. I'm a huge bow hunter, If I bag my buck prior to or in gun season you'll be sure to find me in the woods with my bow during gun season. Yeah some bow hunters are egotistical and are posted up on their high horses because yeah archery takes a lot of devotion and skill, theres a lot of planning and all spring and summer scouting, pulling trail cam cards hanging stands moving standa and also practicing shooting. HOWEVER with that said, by no means does that make us better than gun hunters. Hunt how you wanna hunt and don't complain about gun hunters coming in and shooting the buck you were after all fall, you chose to hunt with a bow and so be it.

I also enjoy gun hunting, I still get extremely excited shooting a deer and it gave me an opportunity to kill my biggest buck this year which was awesome. I had an opportunity at him during archery but it didn't work out, and I was extremely thankful to have that opportunity again to kill him.

I am a die hard bow hunter, but I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against gun hunting. Minus the fact that you may run into some real jerks that aren't respectful, but that happens in archery too.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I don't believe that there are 2 dozen threads about not seeing any deer int eh archery forum.

While I do not see anything elitist about archery hunters, it does take a bit more skill to be successful at archery hunting. Instead of shooting that buck 100 yards out you have to bring him in to you, or move your stand the next day to get closer to him. Sometimes it works sometiems it doesn't. With a rifle its a dead deer.

Archery takes a lot more work for setups and scouting because you have to get close. Going into the woods in the morning with a hangover and stink on will usually mean you will not be successful that day.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I've done both for over twenty years and there is a difference. With archery it really does require more practice. And I'd have a bow even if there was no bow hunting.
Many hunter do both, to get in more hunting days, not for anything elitist.

But you'd have to give them a break since they share Penn's Woods with cross bowers. Hard to think elitists with that situation.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It is a whole different ball game hunting deer that have had virtually no pressure from anyone let alone have been through a full archery season, early muzzy, jr and senior rifle, Turkey, all manner of small game hunters and 2 bear seasons....I agree you must get them closer but I have killed more bucks and more deer period in archery season. I am not complaining but have noticed what the OP speaks about and I throw up a little in my mouth when I read that garbage.
After this season having to sit in one place with a broken leg, it has become more noticeable to me how the herd I know is there has disappeared due to all that pressure and I can see why people don't think they are around if they don't go get them in rifle season and post in one spot waiting for them to come by.

·
Registered
16,547 Posts
we are a special group. if we weren't we wouldn't need a special liscense would we?

wow, sure doesn't take much to offend some folks. i can't understand how anyone could let a stranger on an internet message board affect their attitude.

even a spike shootin' doe killen' gun hunter who ain't good enough to shoot only big bucks with a bow.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I love hunting. It's just that in order to hunt in my area of 5c which is all suburban or small wooded lots you got to use a bow or crossbow. I don't have time several times a week to drive an hour each way during gun season. Yet i can hunt the lots in suburbia and the gardening housewives want the deer gone from her yard. Even with all that time in a stand the most Iv'e gotten were 3 in a season. So for me it's making the best of opportunities and I still put in time at camp during rifle and late season to slug hunt where I can around home. I don't know any other archers who think they are 'holier than tho',just a regular guy who works hard for his deer or 2

·
Registered
44 Posts
mus42tang said:

But you'd have to give them a break since they share Penn's Woods with cross bowers. Hard to think elitists with that situation.
Having hunted with gun, bow and crossbow I would say that each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I have encountered plenty of people over the years that shouldn't be hunting with anything due to no ethics, no practice, and no respect for the animal. I've had bow hunters on my ground, who after wounding a deer and looking for it for 1 1/2 - 2 hours would leave to go back downstate and never mention having hit one, only for me or friends to find it during trap checks. Not all bow hunters are that way, but so far my experience has been that too many are. Bowhunters account for the greatest portion of the trespassers I deal with, because too many think that because they are quiet, they don't need to bother asking permission. I've had gun hunters who would shoot and if the deer didn't fall they called it a miss, and later I'd have neighbors call to say they had heard shooting and saw wounded deer and killed them but no one ever came along tracking.. In each instance I had been assured of how good these 'hunters' were. Whether anyone will acknowledge it or not, the person who can consistently kill at 500+ yards with a rifle is skilled also. I think the prejudice against crossbows shows elitism in and of itself. There is more movement getting the crossbow into position while in the open with it's wider profile than there is drawing the compound bow with 80% let off while being able to hug the tree. Ethical hunters will not shoot anywhere near the distance with a crossbow that an ethical compound shooter will be able to shoot. It also happens that there are many of us who are using a crossbow that are disabled veterans and would rather still be able to use a bow. I have yet to have anyone pick up my crossbow and be able to hit the mark right away. ALL shooting and hunting requires practice and skill to be proficient. Instead of insisting that one way is better than another, maybe we can just be glad to be able to be out there.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Farmer Jim said:
mus42tang said:

Having hunted with gun, bow and crossbow I would say that each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I have encountered plenty of people over the years that shouldn't be hunting with anything due to no ethics, no practice, and no respect for the animal. I've had bow hunters on my ground, who after wounding a deer and looking for it for 1 1/2 - 2 hours would leave to go back downstate and never mention having hit one, only for me or friends to find it during trap checks. Not all bow hunters are that way, but so far my experience has been that too many are. Bowhunters account for the greatest portion of the trespassers I deal with, because too many think that because they are quiet, they don't need to bother asking permission. I've had gun hunters who would shoot and if the deer didn't fall they called it a miss, and later I'd have neighbors call to say they had heard shooting and saw wounded deer and killed them but no one ever came along tracking.. In each instance I had been assured of how good these 'hunters' were. Whether anyone will acknowledge it or not, the person who can consistently kill at 500+ yards with a rifle is skilled also. I think the prejudice against crossbows shows elitism in and of itself. There is more movement getting the crossbow into position while in the open with it's wider profile than there is drawing the compound bow with 80% let off while being able to hug the tree. Ethical hunters will not shoot anywhere near the distance with a crossbow that an ethical compound shooter will be able to shoot. It also happens that there are many of us who are using a crossbow that are disabled veterans and would rather still be able to use a bow. I have yet to have anyone pick up my crossbow and be able to hit the mark right away. ALL shooting and hunting requires practice and skill to be proficient. Instead of insisting that one way is better than another, maybe we can just be glad to be able to be out there.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
loon said:
I agree they make it seem if you don't hunt with a bow you shouldn't be even a aloud to be in the woods i would like to see it go back to shooting fingers with pin sights then you would see them drop[ like flies because half of them couldn't shoot with out a release
Fingers with Pin Sight! I wouldn't dare. Fingers and Instinctive myself. I rifle hunt as well and love it!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Well said, Farmer Jim.

We have some guys in this area who, IMO, watch way to many TV programs and get a little big for their britches about bow hunting, that being said we also have a lot more guys who love to bow hunt and are very ethicial how they go about it.

As for skill, if they are ethicial they take close, quick kill clean shots, again, same with rifle hunters, not all do.

Try taking a true primitive firearm, a flintlock, out after all the different season's, no rut and find out what it takes to kill a buck.

If you want to crank up a bowhunter tell them you want a week of the rut to muzzy hunt. Most will just laugh and jaw back at you but some will really get in an uproar.

Fella's, to each their own, let's just hunt!

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
It doesn't matter if you shoot a compound, crossbow, rifle, inline, flintlock, or use a spear. There are hunters in every group that badmouth other hunters and feel that they are superior. It's not limited to any one group.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts