The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
dont worry, give it ten years and the whole state will prob follow suit with everyone else and be shotgun only. then youll probably get to use it.

i see no reason why but im guessing it just doesnt have the knockdown power.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
probably because it's too easy to try to extend the range and wound the deer, they are not very effective except at very short range, and even then your shot must be true.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I would surmise it is because 00 pellets will spread out about 1" for every yard of range - contingent on choke size. Past 10 yards puts many of the pellets out of the 8-10" kill zone.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id love to be able to use buck shot. It would be perfect for the close range action on drives through thick mountain laruel swamps.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Id love to be able to use buck shot. It would be perfect for the close range action on drives through thick mountain laruel swamps.
There just seems to be something basically wrong with that picture

I've always wondered why anyone would want to use it for deer.

Where I hunt in MI it is slug or mussel loader only. I can't say that I like hunting deer with a slug gun--but I have to confess it makes em dead

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Best use is in the middle of the night down the hallway on some felon who thinks he can do what he wants to you and your family. A rifle IS the best tool for deer hunting.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
One hole through a deer is enough damage why would you want multiple holes? Davey Crockett is correct it is best used for home defense.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Lucky Orange Hat said:
another post got me wondering. It never made sense to me. any ideas? illegal for deer I mean.
Isn't Illegal for deer in PA....

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/biggameregulations.pdf

Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated centerfire
rifles, handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet
designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any
type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or
larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with
broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is not
legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area
I've used Buckshot in South Carolina when I've hunted down there...Saw guys shoot deer down there with it...it doesn't make multipule holes in deer...I've seen deer with only 1 hole in them from the buck shot and they dropped in thier tracks when hit...I know a few properties in Central PA, that if Buckshot was legal in this area, those land owners would have not a problem letting guys use it, instead of just Bow Only!

G

·
0 Posts
It's an outdated load and should remain illegal, now if it had a mass following like flintlocks it would still be in use.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Outdated??????I've killed no less than 5 deer over the last several years with a full choked shotgun and 00 Buck. I limit all of my shots out to 25-30 yards and each deer killed has dropped in it's tracks, I'd say that effective. Like any other round or weapon it's more so the shooter than the round. For people to call it outdated, ineffective etc. is just misleading IMO and most of those people have probably never used it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My guess is for safety reasons. That is why they restricted shot size for turkey hunting to #4 or smaller.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hunted with it down south in NC on Camp Lejeune. It didn't make sense to me that we had to use buck shot on organized hunts with the club but we had to use slugs when hunting alone. 00 buck is, or darn close to a 30 caliber ball. You got 18 of then in a 3 1/2" 12 gauge and it was devastating what it would do to a deer. I saw one shot broadside at about 40 yards with 13 exit wounds out the other side and 2 were stuck in the far shoulder. It all depends on what choke you are using, pattermasters are great for buckshot. I also saw one shot at 80 yards that made it about 50 yards from where it was hit, like was already said above it had one whole through the lungs because that is all it really takes. I have not used a shotgun for deer since I came back to PA and don't miss it but it was very effective.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't agree with the statement about it being outdated. The law puzzles me, too, though. I hunted in NJ for years, and I always had my first shot a slug, and the next two 00 buck - figuring if a second shot is needed, the deer would probably be on the move. I only started hunting PA last year, and I was surprised that it's slug only here. Good thing I read the game laws book - because in NJ, a buck is defined as at least one antler 3" or longer.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
we can use it down here, but usually steer away from . i will occasionally put a 00 in backed up with slugs when we push our nasty thicket. never pullled the trigger on a deer with i though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts