The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to camp on Sunday to find a bear destroyed about half of my 3 year old apple tree seedlings that are still in tubes. The bear was after the wasps nests inside of the tubes. In the midst of trying to fix a couple that weren't snapped in half, I got stung twice. My biggest regret when I started this project is using tree tubes and saplings. My camp is 30 a minute drive away and about every time I showed up in the past 3 years, I would have to fix one of the tubes either from the wind or something bumping it. This was the worst of it though. If I had to do it all over again, I'd spend the money for potted trees and cage them. Lesson learned...

Luckily only one of our trees in the main orchard was harmed. The plan is to remove most of tubes in the spring. I know some should stay on another year or two, but I've had enough...

·
Registered
303 Posts
The little mesh net covers "help" keep the wasps out. Bears are a pain. At one point, we tried the Blue-X tubes, and bears destroyed just about every one, one summer.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
drew I had the same problem so when I replaced some of t. he trees I cut off a piece of replacement screen and stapled them around the tree and then cut the tube down to under 2 feet. So far so good

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try maintaining 50+ acres of CREP and other planted tubed trees, you cannot win. Every year we think will get easier and it does a little because many trees are established and big, but there are still many the bear can wipe out. No bear is safe during bear season on our farm

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello,

I had about 2000 trees added to my property about 12 years ago.
Way more than half are gone now but I still had lots of the tubes.
Caring for them due to deer, wasps, moles, wind, fungus, etc. was troublesome.
I began cutting them open for removal and slashed my elbow open with the razor knife
(4 inches long and 1/2 inch deep, requiring stitches)
So that they did not blow around my property for the next 50 + years they were sent to the dump.
But, I have lots of Oaks, Cherry, Plum and Apple trees well on there way.
Yes, lots of trouble but I'm glade I did it and is over.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello,

I had about 2000 trees added to my property about 12 years ago.
Way more than half are gone now but I still had lots of the tubes.
Caring for them due to deer, wasps, moles, wind, fungus, etc. was troublesome.
I began cutting them open for removal and slashed my elbow open with the razor knife
(4 inches long and 1/2 inch deep, requiring stitches)
So that they did not blow around my property for the next 50 + years they were sent to the dump.
But, I have lots of Oaks, Cherry, Plum and Apple trees well on there way.
Yes, lots of trouble but I'm glade I did it and is over.
Should have sold them. People want them. Put them on Craiglist or list them here, if you still have them.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
never used tree tubes ,but I also feel your pain, my dad had planted some apple trees and after they grew up some the bear got into one and snapped off accouple of limbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts