The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year old was wondering why I buy my license online but keep mailing the pink envelope every year. I honestly couldn't give her a straight answer. On the surface this is the most ridiculous process I can think of. We buy DMAP tags online along with just about everything else. I can't believe the county treasurers offices are clamoring for this every year. They really don't make anything from this. Who exactly is fighting to keep this silly process in place? Why can't this all be done online?

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
It is State Law... passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor. To change to another system the Legislature and Governor have to change the law...

§ 2722. Authorized license-issuing agents.
(a) County treasurer and commission employees.--Each county
treasurer or, in home rule or optional plan counties, the person
whose duties encompass those of a county treasurer, whose agency
has not been recalled under this title, shall accept
applications and issue licenses in accordance with this title.
The director may also designate commission employees at
commission facilities to issue licenses.
(b) Agents for issuing antlerless deer licenses.--Antlerless
deer licenses shall be issued by the county treasurer or, in
home rule or optional plan counties, the person whose duties
encompass those of a county treasurer within the county in which
the licenses are valid.

so it takes an act of congress to change....

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Why can't we hunt deer on Sunday? Same reason... Old, antiquated slow to change laws that have no bearing on today's world.

Pa.... The land that time forgot.

If you are not digging it now, wail till (as some posters want) it goes across the counter. You will wishing it was the old way then.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i don't get the whining about this all the time. How hard is it REALLY to fill it out and mail it? It gives someone a job (some treasurers hire extra staff), you get the excitement of watching your account to see when and if you are awarded a tag (still better than lotteries in many western states for elk or whatever).
If the state of Pa could figure a way to do this online or some other way and still benefit the state of Pa it would be great, but as it stands the online liscensing company is outside the commonwealth (tennesee???).

I say we make it like black friday shopping in a walmart. Stand in line til they start selling at 8 pm on a friday night and let the strongest get to the front of the line and get their tags. Doe tag anarchy!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
inthebubble said:
i don't get the whining about this all the time. How hard is it REALLY to fill it out and mail it? It gives someone a job (some treasurers hire extra staff), you get the excitement of watching your account to see when and if you are awarded a tag (still better than lotteries in many western states for elk or whatever).
If the state of Pa could figure a way to do this online or some other way and still benefit the state of Pa it would be great, but as it stands the online liscensing company is outside the commonwealth (tennesee???).

I say we make it like black friday shopping in a walmart. Stand in line til they start selling at 8 pm on a friday night and let the strongest get to the front of the line and get their tags. Doe tag anarchy!!!!!!

Dude, do you really want to go there? Their would be no way that the black Friday thing would be anything but ugly. And if the system crashes which does happen, then what? Or they crash just in areas and you get beat out of a doe tag in another county that is operational?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Been applying for a doe tag now for over 50 years & NEVER experienced a single problem. Been applying electronically online for my hunting license for 6 years now & experienced 2 problems in its processing. Per reading here & elsewheres this year there were MAJOR online processing delays experienced by thousands of hunters with many not having their license in time for a doe license application.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Shaddartman said:
Been applying for a doe tag now for over 50 years & NEVER experienced a single problem. Been applying electronically online for my hunting license for 6 years now & experienced 2 problems in its processing. Per reading here & elsewheres this year there were MAJOR online processing delays experienced by thousands of hunters with many not having their license in time for a doe license application.

Nuff said.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner.

How freakin hard is is to follow instructions and mail in a timely fashion?????
I wish the truth were really known about why some seem to not get an antlerless license. I would be willing to bet it's NOT because of the treasurers. But some people just need something to complain about. And they will be on here complaining no matter what system is used.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Shaddartman said:

Nuff said.
Well said and true. My gosh...how hard is the doe license process in PA? It's not...it's painfully simple and effective.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not advocating for change...simply stating my experience this year. I mailed mine out on time. As many of you mentioned, I did not fret or consider not being issued a tag. With that said, I spoke to my treasurer's office today (I work in the Courthouse) and they still have not processed applications that they received early last week, including mine. While I realize there are lots of tags left in the WMU I applied for, I do not think it is fair that if some counties process quickly, that (starting today) non-resident tags can be awarded for the WMU that I applied for before my resident application that was sent in on time is awarded.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
kudu58 said:
Shaddartman said:

Nuff said.

We have a winner.

I wish the truth were really known about why some seem to not get an antlerless license. I would be willing to bet it's NOT because of the treasurers. But some people just need something to complain about. And they will be on here complaining no matter what system is used.
They need to place an asterisk on the applications next to..."results may vary".

The current system can't even follow through with residents applying the first week being issued a tag before a non resident is issued one in the second week.....

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
This is a test of the mail system. Seems no one's "Doe" license application or Doe tag ever gets lost in the mail but just about everyone's report card keeps getting lost.

Maybe the report cards should be pink
Waugh!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Curly Maple said:
kudu58 said:
Shaddartman said:

Nuff said.

We have a winner.

They need to place an asterisk on the applications next to..."results may vary".

The current system can't even follow through with residents applying the first week being issued a tag before a non resident is issued one in the second week.....
First, you don't need the physical tag to mail in a doe tag. You have your CID number, you have an application, either online from PGC, or in your book. All you lack is the pink envelope, which can be obtained easily.
Second, the system does need "tweaking", IMO. Perhaps a cutoff for first round tags to be mailed in by. And no treasurer should then be permitted to fill another application until those in hand have been processed. They should not have gone to a shortened issuing schedule. Five days to get your tag in (verified by postmarks), 5 days for treasurer's to process. Who needs a doe tag in July anyway? Those who favor online purchasing of doe tags need only look at how DMAP's are awarded, some units sold out in days. Magnify that by every hunter applying for tags.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Curly Maple said:
That is not the system's fault. Speak to the BOC about that issue. They were the ones who caved in to all the NR's complaining about what a disadvantage they were at and shortened the wait period from 3 weeks to 1 week.

As soon as they did that, I was just waiting to see how long it took for someone to complain about it.
I've said it before and will again....

NO MATTER WHAT SYSTEM IS USED, THERE WILL BE PEOPLE ON HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BEING UNFAIR IN SOME WAY.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.