The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3 years ago I purchased the Cabela's Brittany 10" boot. After 1 year they leaked like a sieve. 2 Years ago, I bought Danner Pronghorns with the same result. I returned them to Cabela's because they leaked and got a pair of Browning uplands. Now after simply walking through a frosted grass field, these leak. What the heck is it with boots not being able to last more than a year? I treated every boot with a waterproof treatment yet all have leaked. I'm not talking about standing in water with these things, but just walking through a field with dew or frost. I have a boot dryer and religiously dry them and dress the leather. The reason I choose each of the boot models was because all of them weighed less than 2.8 lbs / pair.

When I expect the hunt through wet areas, I use my rubber boots, but darn it why can't I walk through a frosty field without getting wet feet?

I am taking these boots back to Cabela's but now have no idea what to get in their stead.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I wear Red wings every single day, and I step in the nastiest things at work, they never leak, and I have had this pair for over a year, leather is still in awesome shape, but the tread is wearing thin. They were $200 boots lite, but I figured I have had one pair for over a year, when I was buying cheap ones every 4 5 months @ 50 60 dollars a pair I am ahead now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Because they are all made over seas. I have two pairs of Red wings that are 8 and 13 years old (work boots. Thay are still waterproof and have good leather. (resoled 3 times).RedWing is now all made over seas, you can still find some old ones made in USA.

I also have a pair USA made Danner Canadians, 5 years old great leather and do not leak. You can still find them online.

I don't use a drier for my boots, I read somewhere that it breaks down the leather and gore-tex. I wear a boot for one day then let it air dry for one day, while I wear another pair.

Go buy a pair of Muck boots. For the most part they arearound $100. They will not leak. Great boot.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
my dad has much boots and i tried them one day and they come on and off so easily you dont need 4 guys to pull your boot off like some boots haha but i like rubber boots a bit better because the rubber gives mt foot better support...thats just me though

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've got a pair of 600grm. thinsulate boots from Wolverine that I bought at Dicks about 10 years ago. They have the GoreTex in them. I waterproof the leather and nylon 1x a year (usually a month before hunting season) I have no problems with them leaking or anything.

I bought a pair of Rockys that were supposed to be waterproof, but the stitch down sole separated and I can't walk through wet grass without getting soggy socks.

I like Wolverines.

I also have Danner Acadia boots for work, 3 years old, 1 resole, no leaks, but they were $200+.

I'm not a big fan of glue on soles, I think they're cheaply made.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i have a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots with foam insulation and i have had them for 5 years never had a leak or anything from hunting use. (i had one hole from dropping a board with a nail into it but i patches it and never had a problem with them since)

i will never buy a different boot they are awesome and im not a guy who hunts 3 days a year i hunt every season and so far this year i only missed 4 days of archrey just to give you an idea how much use they get. and i wear them while snowmobiling and stuff too

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I always wear Rocky boots and have had pretty good luck with them. I spray them down with Camp Dry or some generic form of that before each season and they keep my feet warm and dry. I think I have about 8 pairs of them now, and I wear each and every pair throughout the season.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am stopping at cabelas on the way home tomorrow and returning them. Just hope there is something there that is lightweight yet waterproof.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Retired Donkey said:
Cabelas should change there name to IMPORTED, just abouit everything they carry is imported.
As is BPS, LL Bean, Gander Mtn , etc........

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think the Gore-Tex boots are OK if you step in a puddle once every 1/2 hour. But I have yet to find a Gore-tex boot that will keep your feet dry more than an few minutes in constant contact with wet grass fields. The Muck Wetlands are the best rubber boots I have had for walking. But they do get hot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You guys should realy try out Xtra-tuf boots, they're made in the U.S. and you can see them on show like deadliest catch. As for cabelas, their clothing is a joke. I've bought Carhart shirts from them that are 2 sizes bigger than they should be. The boots you're having trouble with are good boots, the only constant with the problems seems to be Cabelas.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I agree. Buy American. You will get 10 times the product for a few dollars more, and you will keep a family off the streets.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
i have older rockys 2 going on 3 yrs. 800 grms. my rocks before these were great they don't make them any more also have new this year danners got them home looking and putting on seen they were imports, that [censored]. thats why unemployment is over 10%%%...later

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
3shotjoe said:
I think the Gore-Tex boots are OK if you step in a puddle once every 1/2 hour. But I have yet to find a Gore-tex boot that will keep your feet dry more than an few minutes in constant contact with wet grass fields. The Muck Wetlands are the best rubber boots I have had for walking. But they do get hot.
I think that you may be on to something here.

I've noticed that my feet will get damp walking through wet grass in my goretex boots. But if I walk through a creek they are fine and my foot stays dry.

·
Registered
816 Posts
On my second pair of Danner's, 1st last 10+ years, this pair is way into 10 and I just had them resoled for 60.00.
Wont buy anything else...and look for the U.S. made label there more but they are worth it.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
had all kinds (exept danner might have to try them) and they all leak. i know guys at work that tell me they had the same boots for 10 year bla bla bla but if you only hunt 2 days a year i guess you could get away with it. but stompping through rose patches and berry swamps wears them out in a hurry. so far the list of dead soldiers includes, rocky, lacross, irish setter, gorgia, hermans, and about 5 other less know names. if it ain't rubber it don't hold back water and then only until a good briar patch or fence grabs them. i bought a pair of %100 water proof hermans last month. if the waether man even says rain they are wet. lol

·
Registered
816 Posts
I guess I should a clarified my use, Alaska, Colorado, Montana, 3 provinces in Canada.
Moose, Brown bear, elk, mule deer, black bear deer, antelope.. swamp desert mountains, rain snow etc..
Every weekend, almost every kinda critter in PA mud water, the whole deal...
Work, landscaping, plowing etc...
never let me down... they are in my mind the very best.and un like many of the bad boot experiences noted on this site with other kinds of boots, by other manufacturers I have no complaints..course I do take care of them dry em, snow seal and boot wax at seams.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts