The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a deer of either sex in the flintlock season but an archery stamp doesnt do the same in the late archery season?

is it easier to shoot deer with a gun or a bow? why the favoritism?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No favoritism. Just control. When the law was made bowhunters had the choice of either a buck or doe with the back tag. One deer a year only. When the system changed we outnumbered the flintlock by 5 to 1 and still do, not as many flintlock hunters across the state as license that are sold. Special reg areas not included in the count because they can use inlines and rifles during the xmas season.

·
Registered
742 Posts
davyg said:
No favoritism. Just control. When the law was made bowhunters had the choice of either a buck or doe with the back tag. One deer a year only. When the system changed we outnumbered the flintlock by 5 to 1 and still do, not as many flintlock hunters across the state as license that are sold. Special reg areas not included in the count because they can use inlines and rifles during the xmas season.
That had to be 20 years ago when archers could shoot a buck or doe with their back tag. I didn't know that the muzzy rule has been around that long. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
jlh42581 said:
a deer of either sex in the flintlock season but an archery stamp doesnt do the same in the late archery season?

Why don't you ask the question of why do archers need soo much time to harvest a deer and the flintlockers only get the worst possible season of the year? I would rather have the smoke pole out in the prime hunting times but the archers would whine and cry worse than they already do when the inlines come out for a week.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You can use a flintlock during the early muzzleloader season, rifle season, AND the traditonal late season. IMO the difference is, I can shoot a deer at 70 yards comfortably with my flintlock, but can only feel comfortable at 30 yards with my bow. That's just me. I know other guys who are a better shot and shoot further, but that's my comfort zone. I think that's why. It's harder to harvest with a bow, because of the limited distance you can shoot. I'm not bashing your post, I'm just giving my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
duckman76 said:
jlh42581 said:

Why don't you ask the question of why do archers need soo much time to harvest a deer and the flintlockers only get the worst possible season of the year? I would rather have the smoke pole out in the prime hunting times but the archers would whine and cry worse than they already do when the inlines come out for a week.
Or you could ask the question as to why we are one of the few states in the union that still support the antiquated flintlock with it's own season. How about we do away with the rock smashers and allow in-lines in the late season.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I believe the late season is flintlock only to attempt to hold onto a tradition. yeah, I know with the modern open sights, synthetic stocks, etc. its not a true primitive season, but a flintlock vs. an in-line, you know as well as anyone an in-line is a single shot high power rifle. If in-lines were allowed in the late season, it would just become an extended rifle season.

"rock smashers" - I like that one. I like my "rock smasher" and hopw they never change the season!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
For one thing there is good portion of the bucks have started to loose their antlers by that time of the year.

·
Registered
742 Posts
gave20 said:
duckman76 said:
jlh42581 said:

Or you could ask the question as to why we are one of the few states in the union that still support the antiquated flintlock with it's own season. How about we do away with the rock smashers and allow in-lines in the late season.
I think inlines will be allowed eventually but the season for them will be much shorter than the current late season. Time will tell.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Since they allowed crossbows in archery season they might as well just let people use an inline in the late season.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
May as well just use ALL WEAPONS from Sept 1st to Mar 1st for ANY GAME and be done with it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
not that i expect to be this lucky, but if i still have a doe tag and my buck tag and i shoot a doe with my flintlock do i have to use the buck/doe tag first? or can i use the doe tag and still be able to hunt for a buck or doe? i assumed i could use the doe tag first but wanted to be sure that was correct.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Bowhunter1976 said:
not that i expect to be this lucky, but if i still have a doe tag and my buck tag and i shoot a doe with my flintlock do i have to use the buck/doe tag first? or can i use the doe tag and still be able to hunt for a buck or doe? i assumed i could use the doe tag first but wanted to be sure that was correct.
You can use what ever tag you desire first. Logically, I would use the anterless tag.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
No. The season after Christmas, when its cold, rainy, snowy and miserable is primairly for flinlocks. Ever try loading one of them things for a follow-up shot when your fingers don't work because it's so cold and the snot is running down you face and freezing into shotcicles as it runs over you chin? Man, now that's huntin'!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
How about we leave it as it is!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Probably because archery hunters have 6 more weeks to hunt. It used to be either or, before the archery season was extended into the rut, then it changed.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
gave20 said:
Because we have class.

BTW, (not to gave, just in general) I told you so

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Re: Why does a muzzleloader stamp allow you to har

JesseJamesJim said:
You can use a flintlock during the early muzzleloader season, rifle season, AND the traditonal late season. IMO the difference is, I can shoot a deer at 70 yards comfortably with my flintlock, but can only feel comfortable at 30 yards with my bow. That's just me. I know other guys who are a better shot and shoot further, but that's my comfort zone. I think that's why. It's harder to harvest with a bow, because of the limited distance you can shoot. I'm not bashing your post, I'm just giving my opinion.
That's an excellent point Jesse!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts