The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As another season approaches, the 4th for me with a recurve i sit and think why do I love the recurve so much. If my goal was to put more deer on the ground, I think I would go with a wheelie bow that with the same amount of practice I put into shooting 20 yards with the trad, I could be proficient out to 40 with a compound. So that cant be it.

I would have to say for me, it is the simplicity and added challenge. I love going out there with a stick, string and arrow. (plus the way I am,that is less that I can forget) I have nothing against compound bow hunters and even the crosbows, provided they hunt ethically, but that can be said about any form of hunting.

Just wanted to see what are your reasons for picking up a trad bow this season?

Also what are your maximum ranges for shooting.

Mine is about 15 to 18 yards, I wish it was 20 to 25 but I cant seem to taking my shooting to that next level.

These arent real unique topics, but atleast it will get some chatter on the Trad page.

Thanks for reading and good luck this season.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll agree the simplicity is a big part of it, also helps me get away from our high tech world even though I'm shooting carbon arrows this year and I think it challeges our inner selves more, something that reconnects us with a long buried past in the fast moving society we now find ourselves in. Your self imposed distance limit is right there with mine I feel I owe that to the animal and think that getting them that close means I've done something right as far as woodsmanship.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Why do we do it? I've been asked that question many times. Traditional Archery is complex in its simplicity. I don't think there is any one answer that could nail this down. Its been said repeatedly by many different people, with Traditional Archery, the journey is more important than the destination. I think what drew me to it in the first place was basically necessity. At 16, I wanted to bow hunt but couldn't afford a bow. All that was available to my was my dad's 1964 Ben Pearson recurve. Later in life when I got back into the sport, I joined a traditional archery club. Best $10 I ever spent to become a life member. I have said this before and will argue the fact with anyone who disagrees; You will find no finer, more genuine, more helpful and just down right friendly people than traditional archers. So many people went out of their way to help me when I got started again and I try to pass that along. I've lent out bows, made arrows, and imparted my limited knowledge because I love the sport so much, I want to share it with others. (Next thing you know I'll be going door to door asking people "Hello. Have you heard the word of Fred Bear today?") While I've heard some people say that stick bow shooters tend to think of themselves as "elitist" I have to disagree. No one I've met passes judgement on anyone based on what they use. Sure, we like to rib some of the compound guys we meet on 3D courses with those 2-3 foot stabilizers on their bows, "Hey fella. How many stations does that thing pick up?", "I don't believe I've ever seen a bow with a kick stand before." But, it is never done with malice or contempt, although we are saddened by some recent developements. The feeling when that arrow hits right where you were looking and you know it was all done just by your abilty and not with the aid of anything man made is about the most satisfying feeling you'll ever get as it relates to archery. We tend to place the importance of the hunt over the kill (there's that whole journey/destination thing again!) and I personally would not take a shot at anything over 15 yards. I feel comfortable shooting out to that distance and I have set it as a limit. Why do I do it? I guess just because it feels natural and right.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would agree with Buckethead, when you are looking at that spot and you let that string go and watch the arrow hit that spot it is such a great feeling! I also like the simplicty of the bow if some thing breaks, well you get my point. As far as my range 25 max but if it is walking to me I would let it get closer,is that not what archery is all about,getting the animal in up close to make the killing shot,I you want to shoot 60,70,80,ect yards use a rifle it is not bow huntin.

·
Registered
707 Posts
This will be my first year afield with the stick and string. What drew me to it was a mix of the challenge and it seeming more natural. I look forward to harvesting a deer with it and hope I make a clean kill. Buckethead hit it on the head when he mentioned it being a journey. That it has been.
My range this year is up to 15 yrds. I'm confident to that. i can shoot 17-18 yrds pretty consistently but have limited myself to 15 yrds. Once I get to 20 yrds and out it seems to be a different game. I get one arrow to fly right where I want it and the next one is 6-8" to the right or 6" high, or 6" low. So I'll keep practicing - it's all I know to do.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Buckethead said:
(Next thing you know I'll be going door to door asking people "Hello. Have you heard the word of Fred Bear today?")

I have the yearning to hunt with a traditional bow deep inside and it' calling to me. I just don't have the time to practice consistently enough, or the extra dough to get a new rig yet. Sounds like lots of new stuff to get though

I like the responses I hear.. here, and think I'll fit right in with this crowd. I love outdoor challenges and this is one that has me yearnin for learnin.

Just got my first flinter last year and am having fun with it, but I love more so, being silent and up close with game... real close.

I do need to get meat for us each year and will still do so with the "wheelie" or guns, but the call of the trad bow will soon overcome, and I'll join the ranks. I am patient and it will be here in time. Then the practicing begins...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I hunted the first 23 years with a recurve only because I had too. Compounds weren't out yet.
By the way, I used a Bear bow the whole time. I still have it yet.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I like the simplicity, the flight of the feather fletched arrow, and hitting where your looking at any reasonable distance.

To me, hunting with the stick bow is more about the hunt than the kill. But when it all comes together and the animal is down by a well placed shot, it satisfies like no other.

Spare parts - pre stretched string, that's it.
In my compound days I tried to keep my set up simple but still had a small tackle box of stuff.

Shot distance this year will be 25 & under. I try for closer but if conditions are 100% right, I'll take a longer shot. My practice has been limited this year but I'm comfortable with my shooting at this distance.

To those who keep it close ,first I commend your discipline, do you practice farther? If your close groups are more open up/down than side to side, typically form is good. Shoot longer distance and learn the flight. My normal practice sessions always consist of 40+ yard shots at targets, golfballs, stumps. In my opinion, that helps engrain the flight in your brain.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Woodsnut said:
Buckethead said:
Just got my first flinter last year and am having fun with it, but I love more so, being silent and up close with game... real close.
That's what got me back into the sport. The early ML season came into effect, I bought a flintlock because they looked cool and I realized again how much I enjoyed hunting deer that time a year. I got the old recurve out again then had my longbow by Christmas. I started bow hunting the following year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had a good morning was a beautiful sunrise on top a ridge full of acorns around 730 heard a twig snap, real nice 8 coming in to scrape 15 yards from my stand, waited till he was slightly quartering whack and he tore out thought I might have been a little high, then heard the crash, woods was very quiet this am, hung the bow and dug my cope. out of pack short trail beautiful older gray faced monarch, as I knelt beside him I realized I do it for me not to compete with anyone but to be one with my ancestors and one with the woods, had that slightly sad feeling for taking a life this noble ,then looked over at my recurve and gave thanks to the red gods for smiling on me and also for the wonderful meals he will provide. All in all one of those days that fills those long months between seasons.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Scotchirish...
I can hear the pride and satisfaction in your post.I get that feeling when I shoot a Deer with my Flinter. I bought a used #45 Bear Bearcat this Spring. I can hit out to 15-20 yds. I just love this thing. So light and easy carrying. My Son has went to recurve which I thought He would never do! Again, good job....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks Ron, good luck with that bow and flinter I'm weighing the pros and cons of saving my anterless tag for flintlock or taking the recurve back out probably end up taking the bow for a walk just to be out cause there is something special about those snowy woods and lugging that charcoal burner that I love too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts