The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard #2 mentioned in another thread on "face camo" and I needed to start this topic.

I say:
#1 helps with the cold. REALLY helps with wind

#2 break up face outline when not using a mask or paint<---never thought of this one

#3 in tradion of our forefathers...the pioneers, the frontiersmen, the mountain men and woodsmen

#4 Beards are cool

What are your thoughts...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just like the good luck playoff beards that sports teams grow...I do it every year from oct-jan. Good luck and the cold.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Don't like shaving... hate it. And they say not to shave because the shave cream will stay on your skin as scent for 1-2 days.

It breaks up the bottom half of my face, even if the face paint in archery comes off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: ~~Why do "hunters" grow Beards?~~

Yeah... I start working on mine in July in preparation of the upcoming season in the hardwoods...

(Pic taken with my phone when my dad was calling wondering why I wasn't answering...Haha! He shoulda known better.)

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
Don't like shaving... hate it.
That is my reason!

My Dad and all my Brothers have had Beards thru out thier lives... I didn't grow 1 till around 1989 (due to my Girlfreind at the time did not like beards)and really have not been without it since... though I do go to a Goatee in the summer but sometimes I hate having to shave the areas around that and just let it grow!

It sure helps when you are out and about in the winter...not just hunting but cutting wood or doing other kind of work outside.....keeps the face a little warm!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Donthewater said:
Yeah... I start working on mine in July in preparation of the upcoming season in the hardwoods...

(Pic taken with my phone when my dad was calling wondering why I wasn't answering...Haha! He shoulda known better.)

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Donthewater said:
Sorry to say this Devin....Gonna take longer than a few month for you to grow a beard!

It's always been a tradition for me. I've been growing one every season since I got out of the Marine Corps. My last shave is the Friday before Archery opener, and does'nt come off until around Mother's Day. My daughter (now 12) was born in December and had always seen "daddy" with a beard, Until I shaved it off...it freaked her out the first time she did'nt really know who I was without it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tradition, warmth, for the ruggedness, and since i have red hair i grow it up till my birthday (march 18th) and for the St. Patty's day parade in scranton cause for some reason women like leprechauns. gets a bit annoying when you're trying to make it to and from the bathroom and you have to stop and have 50 pictures taken of ya. but i aint complaining.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Easy to spot in Molly Brannigans

·
Registered
465 Posts
i grow one every fall just because i hate shaving, helps keep the face a little warmer, looks good on an outdoorsman, and gives me an excuse to change things up for a few months.

·
Registered
369 Posts
bot ill tell ya if you want to feel like Hef' thats the way to go. i had enough pics taken to be in 10 calenders atleast. but i am a month behind so hopefully i can still pull it off as it will only be 7 months of growth this year but i may carry it over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
PADingo said:
Donthewater said:
Sorry to say this Devin....Gonna take longer than a few month for you to grow a beard!

It's always been a tradition for me. I've been growing one every season since I got out of the Marine Corps. My last shave is the Friday before Archery opener, and does'nt come off until around Mother's Day. My daughter (now 12) was born in December and had always seen "daddy" with a beard, Until I shaved it off...it freaked her out the first time she did'nt really know who I was without it.
I'm working on it...

Glad to give you a chuckle...

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Well, the scotch and cigars may help it a little tiny bit.......

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
The 15 yr, will keep that from happening.

·
Registered
369 Posts
you may have to go with Johnny Walker Blue but at $185 a bottle or so and $25 a shot in a bar i think you could go to bosley medical and get something cheaper

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Re: ~~Why do "hunters" grow Beards?~~

I grow one most winters, cause I don't have to impress anyone. It sure is warm on a cold winter day. We have a couple of months of winter, usually. I think we're in for more this year. The gray squirrels have savaged the pine cones on the loblolly pines this fall.

I'll start today, since I voted today in the advanced voting and need not now be identified on my driver's license.

Getting older does have its better priorities.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I developed a ritual, stop shaving the first day of autumn, and shave all but a goatee the first day of spring.

It's cheaper and more comfortable than a face mask

1 - 20 of 88 Posts