The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
JGR said:
I already had a percussion cap that I had taken several deer with and loved. During January the local fire department always has a gun raffle and a few years back I had won a Browning xbolt in 7mm 08. Not wanting that gun I took the cash prize and got my Knight. Shot my first deer the next October and have split the time of carrying the two ever since. I used my Knight to take a doe at 15 yds on Pa's opening day of firearms season this year and hope to get another one with each after Christmas.

I don't think they need a special season just an inclusion into the late season like every other state. The last week is not to much to ask to be allowed to carry either of my smokepoles. That gives the flinters 5+ weeks to do their thing, and 4 weeks for the rest of us front stuffers to do ours. But from the participation I saw in the woods this season in a few years the GC will be begging anyone to carry any weapon out and kill a deer.
we'll give up a week, you can have the October season!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've always had a Flintlock but 2 years ago when I moved back to PA I started hunting Letterkenny AD and the only firearms they allow are Muzzleloaders of any kind or Slug guns so I bought an inline this year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got mine as a gift,But I hunt 2B(Allegheny county) most of the time. I carry it on mostly rainy days, it give me more range then the slug gun. But my main to go to gun is my flintlock. Just some thing about its click, fizzel, boom.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have an Omega. I bought it because its way easier than a flintlock which allows me to easily get some venison in the freezer during the early season. That it turn lets me focus on bucks only during archery season. It shoots good enough that I killed a coyote at 218 yards with it. I have a firestorm too, but only carry it in the late season. You guys need to quit beating around the bush and admit why you really have one.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
007hunter said:
Because I love to hunt deer! And it allows me more oppourtunity to do what I love! I'll either buy a flintlock next or maybe a crossbow....decisions decisions...

Edit. The inline does NOT belong in the late flintlock season.
A flintlock would have gave you an extra 2-3 weeks more opportunity, unless you're in an SRA. Just sayin...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The 1st year they had the Oct season my flinter wouldn't go off in the pouring rain.Had 6 deer go past at 3 corn rows and wet pan powder.
Bought a H&R Huntsman.Killed 3 deer.It was too easy and felt,for myself,it wasn't a challange.
Sold it and went with percussion/sidelocks for early season.
My muzzleloaders now number 19.Its an adiction!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I bought mine to hunt late season Iowa and then I prefer it so much more here in 5C than a slug gun. I have long been a fan of single shot rifles such as the Encores and Ruger #1's so I actually enjoy the one shot opportunity.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Bought mine for Ohio rifle and muzzleloader, but usually end up using my bow. I carried both my inline and bow in Ohio one day this year and probably won't do that anymore its to much work.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I haven't bought one yet, but will for next year. my son, who is 29 now, has been around flintlocks his whole life and I have been trying to get him to hunt with one. I'm thinking if I get an inline for him to use in the early season, it will "spark" his interest and I can get him to the next step, a flintlock. someday his life will slow down and i'll get him interested.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
BlackBruin said:
Because I wanted to be just like Jim Shockey and Michael Waddell!
I wish I had an extra 20 grand, I would book a Yukon moose hunt with mr. shockey and show up with my flintlock! someday!

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
I enjoy the early antlerless season and I also prefer the inline to a slug gun in the special regs area. It's very practical for me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
mossie said:
What prompted you to buy an inline rifle and why do you like it so much? Do you feel you should have a special season for the inline rifle and why?
Inlines already have a season in October. I take the whole week off and hunt with my flintlock. I also take the whole first week of rifle season off and other than the first day I carry a muzzleloader. (except last year I did carry a flinter on day 1). I also have a Kodiak Pro inline. (just couldnt bring myself to carry a plastic gun). The kodiak goes with me when its real wet. When I have time off I hunt. I do not sit home because it's raining.

But no. I don't see how they need a special season. Inlines already have one in October. If you want to shoot a buck with one do it during rifle season. I do not feel at a disadvantage at all. An inline might as well be a single shot CF rifle as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I never bought on I use my flintlock. After seeing the buck that walked right up to me in inline, I would rather invest in a crossbow than an inline.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought one because I live and hunt in 2b. I've killed more than a dozen deer with it over the years, and love it for special regs hunts. It's nearly as good as a single shot rifle. I usually wack one in the early doe season with it too. If they ever allow it in the late flintlock season, I'll be disgusted. Killing deer is not what that season is about.

·
Registered
575 Posts
First of all I am not a purist. I hunt Kansas and PA and bought an inline for two reasons. 1 I can mount a scope on the inline and the shots possible in Kansas can be longer and with a scope I can do those shots better. I am still young but my eyes are 71 yrs old. I do own a hand full of flinters that I use too.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I got mine for elk hunting in Colo. I just didn't feel like toting the flinter around in that weather for a week wondering if it was going to fire when the time came? I have killed one doe here in Pa. during the early season

21 - 40 of 54 Posts