The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was given one as a gift...and I love it. I don't really understand your question though. I should not have to give a reason why I hunt a season or time that I hunt when it is legal.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
Don't own one anymore, sold it for a flintlock. This should probably be in the muzzle loader forum, why would you post this here?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I haven't bought one yet, but plan to do so in the near future. I will use it in Ohio's muzzy season and also for stand hunting in Allegheny Co. during the regular firearm season.

I really don't care if inlines are ever included in PA's late flintlock season. Although I bet at some time in the future they will be permitted.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I already hunted with my flintlock for years.

I bought an inline because I get to hunt for a week with it in oct.
Also I hunt jersey, Maryland and Delaware with it and jerseys season runs til the end of January....
So mine gets used

There is no need for a "special season" in Pa for inlines

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Cause the PGC made the season. No more, no less. That's why I bought my first one, a CVA hunter bolt magnum. I've since switched to a savage ml 10 and have no plans to ever shoot black powder, pyrodex, or 777 again.

I have carried one in bear and general gun seasons over the years, and have harvested a buck, a pa bear and about a dozen doe.

The newness has worn off and now rarely do I carry the ml unless mandated by the government.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Because I love to hunt deer! And it allows me more oppourtunity to do what I love! I'll either buy a flintlock next or maybe a crossbow....decisions decisions...

Edit. The inline does NOT belong in the late flintlock season.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Tater.....this IS the muzzloader forum!! LOL!!

Like the 1 shot idea and tired of High powers and pistols. Had the flinter already and thought it would be cool.

Dont really think it needs a special season.

Have not hunted with mine since 2011 when I missed a bear with it. She and I have not "danced" since then. I think she's mad at me. Loaned it out last season and have not seen her since. A young hunter has been knocking doe down with her.

·
Super Moderator
4,534 Posts
I got one as a gift, and bought my dad one a few years later....we both have harvested a couple deer with it over the years, just gives us more time hunting together...he never archery hunted and this gives him more time in the woods when the weather is still decent and more time to scout for turkey/bear/deer. We both have flintlocks also.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought one mainly to hunt Illinois. It was that or a rifled slug gun and I figured I might as well get something I would use here too. And no, I absolutely don't think we need a special season for inline. Nor do I think they should be permitted in flintlock season. Even tho I don't own a flintlock (yet) I think it's a Pennsylvania tradition that should be left alone.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maryland - reason I have one. In the past hunted both Maryland and Pennsylvania.

No need for more time to hunt with an inline. Took mine out one evening this year during the early muzzleloader season. Usually don't have a buck and opt to carry the bow. Would love the opportunity to buck hunt with my inline but can certainly do that during rifle season if I wanted to.

Am fine with the late muzzleloader season being flintlock only. Harvested my first deer with a flintlock last hunting season. Nice time of year to hunt and certainly challenging.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I bought one because I'm a deer hunter and wanted to have one just in case. I already hunted with bow and flintlock, and no I see no need for a inline season. If the PGC wanted to include them in the flintlock season I would be OK with that.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I bought an in line to hunt in MD muzzleloading season and to hunt other states and PA areas where only shotgun and muzzleloaders are allowed.

Love hunting with my inline in Illinois and in shotgun/muzzleloader restrocted areas.

Bought a flintlock shortly after the PA flintlock season started. With older age the eyes are not as sharp as the once were for open sights. Putting on flourescent sights has put me back in the game where I feel that I can make a clean and quick kill.

Never want to see inlines in the PA flintlock season. Love the challenge when hunting with the flintlocks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Bought one of the first Knights to hunt Chester long ago. I've probably carried one ml or another as often as a center fire during rifle season.

People tend to forget that flintlock hunters had been after the pgc for a earlier season for a long time before the October season was granted. The rub was the pgc allowed any front stuffer to be used in oct. No reason for a special season or to change flintlock season.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I already had a percussion cap that I had taken several deer with and loved. During January the local fire department always has a gun raffle and a few years back I had won a Browning xbolt in 7mm 08. Not wanting that gun I took the cash prize and got my Knight. Shot my first deer the next October and have split the time of carrying the two ever since. I used my Knight to take a doe at 15 yds on Pa's opening day of firearms season this year and hope to get another one with each after Christmas.

I don't think they need a special season just an inclusion into the late season like every other state. The last week is not to much to ask to be allowed to carry either of my smokepoles. That gives the flinters 5+ weeks to do their thing, and 4 weeks for the rest of us front stuffers to do ours. But from the participation I saw in the woods this season in a few years the GC will be begging anyone to carry any weapon out and kill a deer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Because I live in Allegheny county and I can use it the entire two weeks of Buck season and also for a month after Christmas. Love my inline.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Simply amazes me that people buy something they know fully well they cant use in flintlock season and then whine because they cant, Want ti hunt FL season use the weapon allowed and quit trying to change things.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I bought it to take advantage of the earlier doe season, although I've carried it in rifle season too. I think the early season should be made "inline only". The hunters then get their own opportunity to kill a deer while they are slightly less pressured in generally warmer weather. Perhaps that will pacify some enough to leave the late flintlock season alone.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts