The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stoeger m2000. i like the gun for the most part. like the weight, the way it pulls up, inertia bolt...etc

i have been reading more about the benelli SBE 11 , and for some reason my twisted mind thinks i may need one.

i would like opinions on what makes the benelli worth the money ? is it less recoil? certainly the fact that it holds 3 1/2" and the stoeger only holds 3", doesnt justify close to a $1000 differance in price.

learn me something

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
You get what you pay for. the fit, finish, quality of parts, etc of a Benelli are head and shoulders above the Stoeger. I had an original, H&K import SBE I. That thing shot like a machine gun. I still kick myself for selling it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There not even close to being the same gun....shoot one and you will be able to tell the difference.... My uncle has the same stoeger as you and I have a benelli M1 super 90. He was so proud he saved $600 dollars and got one thats just like a benelli. Every time it jams in the field (which is quite often)I tell him he should have got a real benelli. Fit Finish and quality arent even close to being the same. I told him the stoeger is a ford station wagon, ya its a Ford but my benelli is a Ford GT mustang. If you wanted top performance which one would you pick?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I forgot to mention resale value. I sold my SBE for more than I paid for it. I was looking to maybe get another SBE I ( I don't like the looks of the SBE II) but they still fetch a premium price.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Obviously the Benelli and the Stoeger are on different ends of the spectrum. So obviously they would not compare.

But I wolud definitely shoot some of the better qualtiy shotguns before I laid my money down for a Benelli. I have shot several of them. And they are great shotguns. But I do not think they are worth the price. Just the idea of a cheaper stock at a higher price turns me off. And they market on that by calling it a "Black Eagle"?? How about "black marketing plastic gimmick". Tread lightly and slowly, then try some other shotguns before you decide. You might save alot of money. Heck look for an older Beretta or 1100 Remington. Tom.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I have a Benelli SBE I, it shoots under any condition I've had it in and all season long with no cleaning. I tore my apart the other day after a full season of waterfowl hunting and was astonished at the amount of crud in it. Dirt, leaves, straw, it was all in there.

I had a friend who bought a Stoeger because "They're exactly like the Benelli, just less $." After hunting with him a bunch this fall he's not saying that anymore. His gun was either jammed up or rendered to a single shot on more than once occasion while my gun was still firing away with no problems.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
For the same money you can do better and get a Beretta or Browning GAS operated gun.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don;t see it the same way.... I just bought a SBEII a couple of years ago. Here is how I came to purchase it. I wanted a light weight turkey gun first. But I also wanted something for waterfowl and upland game.
So I looked at The browning Gold, Barreta Extrema, and the SBEII. All guns have great reputations, though I have talked to people who have had the browing and baretta jam. The people I know own the SBEII never had problems. Slightly more people I know have the SBEII. I only knew a few that had the browning and baretta. One of them switched over to the SBEII after 2 seasons of waterfowl hunting.

The main factor for me was shouldering the gun. The browning and baretta both felt like I was holding a 2x4 to my shoulder. The SBEII was a way better fit and seemed lighter.

Next came the price, yes the price for the SBEII was slightly more. I think around $130 more. That being said, all the guns are over $1,000 and not cheap. If the price difference is the problem, then maybe you should not be purchasing the gun in the first place as neither of them are cheap. If your spending $1,000 plus dollars, you should buy the gun that fits/feels the best.

In regards to the stocks being plastic, well its a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for. I was looking for a work horse gun that can take me being hard on it, so in my case the stock is perfect. The gun more the justifies itself in other areas.

In regards to the Stoegers, I never saw/shot one so I can't comment

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
For the same money you can do better and get a Beretta or Browning GAS operated gun.
Amen........Ill take a good gas gun over that Inertia garbage any day............so you might have to take the forend off, and clean the gas ports out every couple hunts.....big deal, that takes 10 seconds.......

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
Amen........Ill take a good gas gun over that Inertia garbage any day............so you might have to take the forend off, and clean the gas ports out every couple hunts.....big deal, that takes 10 seconds.......
As opposed to never having to do that or worry about it...

I've heard plenty of guys complain about the inertia system. I've had my gun for 8 years now, clean it once or twice a season and it's in everything from swamp muck, to mud in a cornfield to sand on the beaches of Lake Erie when we're diver hunting in 80 degree weather for early season geese and doves to 0 degree weather in the late season and never had a problem other than 1 single time it froze up after I fell into the lake when it was below freezing out. But, I've seen my friends with GAS operated guns jam up in the same conditions...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been shooting my Remington 1100 since 1976. It has not jammed on me. But if it had jammed then it would have probably been a problem with the ammunition. A semi. that does jam a time or to is not the end of the world even if it did occasionally jam.

Trust me-I am not knocking the Benelli. But when a person brings up a price then money is an issue. And there are plenty of well made shotguns that don't jam for a good bit less money.

Heck my Beretta 303's and 390's were fantastic shotguns. And there is no telling how many shells I put through my Skeet Model 390. I think it jammed once or twice in over ten thousand rounds, and both times was an ammunition problem.

Please don't misconstrue this as a knock on the Black Eagle. I would love to have one myself. I just can't justify the price. And if I bought one it would have wood-not plastic for that price. Tom.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:

Obviously spoken by someone who wishes they would have bought the best! I have waterfowl hunted with the Mag 10's (have 2 of em) hunted with the 1100 hunted with the over-unders, have used a lot of guns in my past and none can compare to the Benelli Eagle.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Wasn't aiming my post at you HH, just at the cracks at the inertia system as opposed to the gas system.

My gun has been through it all, in a lot of adverse conditions, and has functioned flawlessly when I've seen a lot of other guns malfunction. Like I said I clean it once, maybe twice a year and that's it. If it failed with any regularity, I'd of gotten rid of it long ago, but it hasn't.

I've had several friends get rid of or retire Remingtons & Winchesters to buy SBE's, no one has complained about making the switch.

It really comes down to a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument. Everyone has their favorite and will defend it. I'm just stating my personal experience with the gun, I think it's a great shotgun that has performed in some very unforgiving conditions and never let me down.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Bout 5 years ago i was lookin for a top shelf semi that could handle 2 3/4 -3.5" shells in 12 Ga. Money was absolutely no concern. I narrowed the selections down to a Browning Gold Stalker & a SBE. I went with the Browning Gold Stalker & neverlooked back once. It's a very soft recoiler with the HW 3.5 turkey loads, extremely clean gas auto system plus handles the worst of weather & abuse including dropping gun in swamp muck & plus handles freezing saltwater spray horrible conditions with my Gold not even blinking.

One big advantage that sold me was Browning's back bored barrel feature combined with their innovative Invector Plus choke system. IMO...provides a far better pattern vs non-back bored guns with heavy HV turkey loads. A lil lighter recoil is also a plus that weighed into my decision. I must say though that if Browning didn't offer a Gold I likely would opted for a SBE and would still be happy but not quite as happy as I'm now.

Best of luck in your decision!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Take a look at the Beretta Xtrema 2. Mine has jammed less times then my dad's SBE has and I'm almost 100% positive I've never had a problem with it while hunting unlike my dad has with his Benelli on several occasions. Only time it ever jams is when I neglect to clean it and was shooting target loads which are light compared to the standard hunting loads. I personally never cared for the feel of the inertia action working which is why I like the gas systems. Even without the fancy Kick-off recoil reducing system the Xtrema2 is very easy on the shoulder!

P.S. the shotgun in my display pic is a Benelli but was only used because of the red dot sight thats on it. hahaha

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
I don't know as I'd go so far as to call the Benelli's "junk". But I will call them "over-rated".

Been shooting a Super X2 3 1/2" gas gun for 9 years, now. I shoot everything from 7/8 oz. Wal-Mart low brass to 3 1/2" mags. I have yet to have my first jam. I actually and intentionally did not clean the gas system for the first 7 years I used it. I wanted to see how long it would take to malfunction. It never did and I got to feeling guilty for neglecting the gun's internals. So I cleaned it.

I also get a big kick out of the Tom Knapp commercials about how fast the Benellis are (like it really matters in the field anyway). Fact is........the Super X2 is faster than any of the Benellis and the Super X3 is faster than the Super X2.

At the time I bought my X2, I paid $675. The Benellis were nearly $1100.

No pox on the Benelli if that's what makes a guy happy. But they are at least 50% quality and 50% hype, IMHO.

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
I have a Benelli SBE 2 and my dad shoots a Beretta Xtrema II. Both are great guns. My SBE shoulders alittle better than the Xtrema for me anyway. It all depends what fits you better.
We only use them for turkey and coyote, don't hunt waterfowl. Don't have much experience cycling lighter shells through them, mostly 3 1/2" ers. Use the 20ga for cottontail.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Benelli has a very good warrantee , I bought a used super sport 20 ga, 2 years ago, firt time at the range the lower receiver cracked where the magazine tube fits in. I sent it back and they sent me a new gun. Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Because it is perfection!
If the glove fits and you are willing to pay the price then wear it. We can have the ford/chevy arguement all day, but when it comes to premium autoloaders, you do get what you pay for.
My Remington 870 flawlessy cycled whatever I fed it.
When I had the money, I shopped around. I shouldered the Extrema, didnt feel right, seemed clunky and awkward to me.
I shouldered the SBEII and I fell in love. It cycles whatever I feed it, be it target loads on the sporting clay range, doves in the corn, pheasants/grouse, steel in the marsh or magnum turkey loads.
I still have the 870, just havent put a round through it in over 6 years!
Shop and play with them all. Shoot which ever models you can get your hands on. Some will fit and feel better than others. No use in paying good money and not liking the 'feel'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts