The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the Contenders are about the same price as an Encore action. Is the T/C Contender action weaker then the Encore?
I own only Encores...However notice that the Contender rifles are 1 inch shorter...Also caliber off the shelf selection is a bit different..is this because the Contender is not as strong an action as the Encore?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I understand correctly, the Contender frame was not meant for higher pressure rounds like .308 for example. That was the reason the Encore was made.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I guess you could say they are weaker.. But they are a very strong action.. They just were never designed to handle the big guns...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The contender frames make much better pistols, the cartridges generate as much as any short barrel weapon can, and are not limiting in pistols. They are lighter and produce a very well balanced pistol for hunting and target. I do favor the 10" barrel, again because it makes a better handling pistol.

The Encore makes a better rifle as the frame IS stronger and can be used with more powerful cartridges that can go faster with a longer rifle barrel. Unfortunately the Encore weight more than the contender frame so it is not as well suited for a hunting pistol

If you want to get a frame and shoot both as a rifle and a pistol, I'd get the contender frame for sure.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Weight is the main difference. The Contender is made lighter for usage by lower pressure cartridges. And the Encore is made heavier to handle higher pressure cartridges. It really is that simple. The Contender Carbine is one lightweight, fast handling little package. Tom.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Agree with all that has been said so far. I haven't picked up a pistol barrel for my encore yet but have yet to think the rifle configuration doesnt handle quickly and easily ESPECIALLY with the lighter weight barrels. With a sporter barrel and low power scope you have a gun you can tote all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts