The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you ready for the upcoming season?
I could set traps today but always seems like am not ready to a day or two before the season.

Are your traps turned and at the ready?
Did you get new equipment?
Are you trying new lures?
Have you gotten permission?
Are you going to try a new set this season?
How will your trapping affected by low fur prices?

Who's ready...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm definitely ready to start trapping, but I won't set until November. Got enough to keep me busy until then finishing up the woodpile, trout fishing, and then archery and small game. Haven't trapped around the house in a couple years and I've got an influx of predators, so hopefully will be a good year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm pretty much ready, just need to boil, dye and wax some longsprings and some new pogo anchors I made up. Have quite a bit of new lures coming. I'd figure I would try a few different brands this year. Picked up another couple hundred acres to trap this year near the house. Need to do some more scouting, checking my game cameras every couple of weeks. I know there is still some stuff I am missing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
been tracking coon and possum on trail cams for 2 weeks now and got permission on a new field. im ITCHING to get out

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nah, I'm not ready...just finished cuttin wood. traps are tuned but not boiled or dyed. Gonna stick with my old lures and baits, don't want to over tax my brain and start out-thinkin myself again....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Traps aren't tuned yet but I'm working on it.
Always buying more equipment but nonew traps this year.
Trying a couple new lures but only because Zags recommend them,,,,, I'm about done trying new lures. In general I think it's just a waste of time.
Did pick up some new territory in Wyoming. Some local but only from people asking us to trap.
Yes,we are trying out a new set this year,,,,, again it's a Zags set. (No not the pipe dream set.)
Would be nice to break even on expenses but it changes nothing either way.

And you,Hern??I

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you, Hern??I
Am ready, could set today, plus the usual odds and ends before the season starts.

H'87 says-
Did pick up some new territory in Wyoming.
Now that's running a long line. How many states do you cross? You starting in Pa. each morning, Right?

Wyoming...hmmm... heck I'm still learning how to trap in Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not ready yet. Gotta repair a few tractor traps from last year then dye & wax. Making a trip to Dutch days this weekend for some supplies. Should be ready to go in 2-3 weeks. No new properties. Mentally I'm ready. Got a lot of trail cam pics of fox which always makes me eager. Never spent much time using cables so I think I'm going to commit to that a little more. Would like to make a first score with one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I never said I knew how to trap,,,, I'll probably quit iffin I ever figure that out. No fear of that actually happening though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
the price of fur will keep my 75 traps on the shelf, I will set a dozen or so around my house that I can walk to just for fun and control of a few preditors.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just dyed and waxed mine today. Made up 7 dozen more cables for fox and coyote. I'm ready. Planning on just sticking to the properties I already have this season.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Have to wash and dip the trap. Biggest thing I have to do is to scout out a good place in 2A for Bobcat. First year trapping. seeing how it goes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
scottm2012 said:
I'm pretty much ready, just need to boil, dye and wax some longsprings and some new pogo anchors I made up. Have quite a bit of new lures coming. I'd figure I would try a few different brands this year. Picked up another couple hundred acres to trap this year near the house. Need to do some more scouting, checking my game cameras every couple of weeks. I know there is still some stuff I am missing.
Traps are now done. Farmers are cutting the corn on the property I just obtained, so I'll start scouting the woodlines to see what was coming to feed. I'll put in some scent posts where I see fit. Twiddling the thumbs now.

·
Premium Member
24,168 Posts
I won't be ready until I get my Cable Restraint Certificate

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I'm not ready I still have 2 months to get ready. My traps are almost ready, I need to install some pans on about 10 body grippers yet and I need to get some more permissions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts