The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my absolute favorite time to bowhunt other than the rut, one because there's typically snow and two because killing a deer in late season with a bow is a huge success for me. I always save my 4a doe tag for late season.

This week starts the work, trail cams are getting put out, gotta brush in ground blinds and move the tree stands to their winter pattern and trim shooting lames. Very excited for the 26th. Also I get excited cuz the deer head towards the pines in my area and I love sitting in a pine tree, I feel invisible in one haha and it blocks the wind.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am. I did not get a deer yet and I got a new crossbow for Christmas. I will be leaving the flintlock at home this late season and trying to get a deer with my new x-bow.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I always save at least a doe tag for the late season. I will be using my flinter although if it gets warm enough, I may take the longbow. It is awesome being in college because I get pretty much the whole season off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grouse11 said:
I always save at least a doe tag for the late season. I will be using my flinter although if it gets warm enough, I may take the longbow. It is awesome being in college because I get pretty much the whole season off.
I hear ya, it js awesome haha but I'll soon be a penn state alum in December moving to Arlington to work in January. So this is my last late season I have everyday off, fortunately I only have a doe tag to fill.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I cant wait. I'll be spending a few days at my cabin up north, and hopefully helping my girlfriend tag one up there. I'll also be back in my hometown of York for about 6 weeks, so I'll get to bowhunt my old spots in the late season. Probably be doing some filming and trying to fill my 5B doe tag. Probably wont get a chance to fill a 2A and a 2B tag I still have, but thats ok.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
No need to rush things; there is a ton of waterfowl hunting to do before Dec. 26th. Flintlock season will get here soon enough!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm ready, but I wouldn't say i'm pumped. I was more excited for the late grouse season, but i'm sick and didn't get out today.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
just remember out there

powder - patch - then ball

then more powder

nails

patch

powder

nuts and bolts

sabot

more powder

split shot

more nails

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Amen to all the above posts. Ive been in depression all day. Cant wait for post xmas season to come. Just wondering is squirrel season back in? I seen a ton of them last 2 weeks and in the mood for a mess of squirrels.

·
Super Moderator
14,807 Posts
I saved two antlerless licenses for the flintlock season and I also have two DMAP tags left in a unit where only bows can be used, so yes I am kind of pumped for the late season.

But, I will be taking the dog out pheasant and grouse hunting between now and then. There is still a lot of hunting opportunity for those of us that love to hunt.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
12,378 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I'm pumped, I got pictures of The Big One and he avoided the gun hunters. I will do my best to bring it, I hunt with my Z7, not a flinter. Good luck to all, flint or arrow, second season is its own challenge.

It's going to come down to me and him, final minutes of the last day, going to take everything I have to get to full draw in the cold. I only pray I'm up to it, I will do my best. All in.

To quote Andy Dufrane (Shawshank Redemption for the uninformed) - Hope is a good thing....maybe the best of things.

Here's a glass raised high to all Second Season hunters!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Thanks, last 2 weeks i coverd an area around 300 yards long i could of taken 40 squirrels. These was the dombest squirrels i ever seen. I would actually have 4-5 with in 10 yards of me all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im pumped for sure, just bought a brand new 10 Point Turbo XLT ll crossbow, BUT the boss lady said I cant have it till Christmas!
Good luck to all and be safe!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have a week off for it, will I get to go is another question. Daycare is closed that entire week, thank god I have off to stay home because she does not. I wonder what parents who have no where to turn too during that week do?

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Probably plop in a video, open up some chips and soda, and then go out and endlessly scout public access lands until they find the last cloister of deer to shoot on DMAP tags.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts