The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who your hunting mentors are and if you have thanked them. I grew up hunting in NJ. My Mom and Dad were not hunters. My Grandpa on my Mom's side and my Uncle on my Dad's side however were avid hunters. In the late 80's my uncle had a severe back injury. This was when he introduced me to the outdoors as he needed a companion to help him with field dressing and dragging. The first 4 years I spent with my uncle in the woods I didn't carry a weapon. He always would teach me ethics and if we were on a muzzleloader hunt I always got to unload the weapon.
When I was 14 I took my bow and gun test and got my first license in NJ. My Uncles and Grandpa were fantastic mentors and I thank them every season for teaching me about the outdoors. If it wasn't for them I probably would never had gotten into hunting. Now it's my favorite thing to do next to capturing others hunts on video. I also grew up watching a lot of hunting videos and dreamed of one day being a part of something like that. Dad used to say "forget about that son that's for rich guys that don't have to work". Well I am part of a video production company now and I owe it all to my mentors. Be a mentor and take a kid hunting!

·
Registered
837 Posts
My dad got me into it and my uncle taught me a whole lot these are two great men and I thank them for everything

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My dad was also my hunting mentor. I can remember him taking me when I was 6 or 7 years old, sitting in the snow with me in his lap with my feet in his goosedown to help keep them warm. He taught me more than just hunting but, how to respect the wildlife and the habitat and to leave no "footprint". He was just here a few days ago and we discussed him taking my son hunting. I have taught my son many of the traditions that I have learned but, he just hasn't got to go hunting with gramps yet LOL!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My dad was one of ten children, 7 boys and 3 girls. They all live in the same general area and are all hunters.

When I was old enough to go hunting, I had plenty of mentors. But dad and mom were the ones I was usually hunting with.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Grandpa was the man in my book..I thank him every day even though he's been gone since "85"...

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I would say mostly my dad was my mentor but I had others
that were there and helped along the way.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I was fortunate to have many. The members of the
"Dirty Dozen & 1 " camp in Sullivan County, who
taught me how to act at Camp.

My Dad's best friend, who I called Uncle Steve,
who told me after sneaking past me one day in the
fall turkey woods that I would never see a bird
unless I started to "sit still".

And of course my father, who told me "if you got one
every time out it wouldn't be any fun", after a deer
hunt, when he could see the disappointment on my face.

Thanks to all of them.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My grandfather mostly. I did hunt some with my uncle, but I hae been trying to forget all he taught me. (most wasn't legal) I still occasionally hunt with my grandfather, but his health is poor now. If it's cold, uphill, long walk (more than 100 yards) or windy he isn't going. With the exception of my first and last few, he had been with me with every deer I ever got.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My Uncle Vic was my #1 mentor. My Dad never really was into hunting but we did Archery hunt and fish together for a time in my younger years.

I also have to include the gang of guys from my very first hunting camp. Gawd.. I miss that camp and those days big time!

"The Blue Ridge Sportsman's Club"

Uncle Vic and myself
Willard and Kirk
Johnny
Tony and John
Mario
Dick
Preston
Wingy
Howard and John
Lou

Hunted with them since age 12 for almost 25 years. The old camp has since broken up, sold the other guys have since retired or have passed on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts