The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who use them, what brand do you use and what brand would you never use again?

These things are not cheap so I'm trying to do a little bit of homework before my next purchase.

I was looking at the Sportdog 3200 for my 2 deer chasing beagles. They were recommended by some guys on the American Beagler Forum.

Just thought I'd get some HPA opinions....

Already posted this in the main dog forum, but put it here just in case

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a sportdog 1825 really like it and have had zero problems with it, I think with tritonics you pay a little bit more for the name with other collars being just as good as tri tonics

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have had one system or another for a lotta years. You will get the most range and the smallest transmitter and receivers, for the best price through Sportdog. Along with top notch customer service, they hands down have the best warranty in the industry. The 1825 got 2.6 miles + on every test I saw(a bunch)not line of sight. I also saw the transmitter and collar work in a bucket of water for 2 weeks... I needed a set up for 3 collars and it is what I bought. It does do 6 dogs but you lose the warning option. The receivers on the 3200 are pretty big for all but the biggest beagles. The 1825 has 3 levels that you set each collar in addition to the 8 levels on the transmitter. You fine tune the collar dependng on how sensitive your dog is. You can also have a vibrate, or tone for warning you dog, In my opinion this is very important feature the 3200 lacks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dont want to disagree with Andy but I have Tri-Tronics and have had little problems with them the (classic 70 G-2.)These have small collars and will work on deer runners.My 2 don't run deer so I only use them while bird hunting with my labs.Best bet call LC Supply and ask for Andy.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I have a SportDog collar. My dogs are also on an Invisible Fence system. Both work well. As with any type of training that uses discomfort, the key is to not be heavy handed. Most of the time, a tone is all you need. Many a dog has been ruined by guys who think the thing needs to be turned up to Stun Gun to get their point across. These people need the tables turned on them. I touched the collar once, and I feel that anyone who uses one should do the same.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Tri-Tronics G-3 Trashbreaker. I love it. It is alot easier breaking a dog from deer with a collar then without. It is held up awesome, battery life is good and the reciever on the dog has held up even after he is swimming creeks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sgt.
I was lucky enough to use my buddies trashbreaker while working w/ my bluetick this summer. Steeler fan is right on with over using it. At first when he needed correction & he was running trash, I would have to put on 4, but only if he was running. If he was just wandering off & not coming to to my call usually the tone would just work. It worked really well for me.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys

PM sent Andy Purnell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts