The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not me causes more aggravation then it's worth! Even on private land I have had issues during gun season. Tried a couple times and now I wait. I will keep some discrete mink sets out locally but that's it. Plus once gun season is over trappers pretty much have woods to themselves even on state lands. Once in a while I run into a flintlock hunter or someone rabbit hunting.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I trap during the bear season, but not deer. I’m on a big tract of private ground, but pull everything so as not to mess anyone up that are deer hunting. I’m using a quad for my checks. I also don’t set in the archery season, for the same reason. I will trap during the flintlock season every year.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Far to many people in the woods every day of the gun season to even consider. Not many people mink trapping those 2 weeks which is primo for a minker.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I pull Canine traps for rifle Deer season only.

By Pa. Deer season, most Mink trappers have a long line established.
ChrisLD, (just saying) the Mink trappers I know in Pa. continue to trap Mink & Muskrat during rifle Deer season. Every Deer season, I ride-a-long with Nittany Lion. He is usually checking 200 traps that day. I don't recall seeing a Deer hunter, but seen a few vehicles parked along road that we assume they were hunting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When you guys say “Pull traps”, do you literally pull them or just snap them for 2 weeks?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I had about a half dozen K9 targeted sets out by this time on public land last year. So few hunters out anymore up here that it seems foolish to hold back out of conflict concerns. Never saw a hunter, or sign of one, in the area they were set.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
When you guys say “Pull traps”, do you literally pull them or just snap them
Traps go home with me.
If I'm resetting same spots after Deer season, I leave cable stakes in place.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When you guys say “Pull traps”, do you literally pull them or just snap them
Traps go home with me.
If I'm resetting same spots after Deer season, I leave cable stakes in place.
Hern, not to beat this to death, but is that because you're on public ground? I'm on private ground and just trying to understand if there's something that I'm not considering about just snapping them and leaving them there.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
TB1, I trap all private ground. All is Deer hunted for sure. But I don't know who's hunting there.
Don't feel right leaving my equipment behind. It's a personal thing, I guess.

If you are trapping on one single property, nothing wrong with leaving them as long as land owner knows about them.
We all have a different agenda. So do what you feel comfortable with. Don't overthink this.

Sometimes my traps are strung out on alot of properties. And I want traps home with me during Deer season. Likely I will be working a different line (different direction) after Deer season anyway.

Personally, the two week break gives me a chance to trap Muskrat, Mink & Coon, catch up on flesh'n & boarding, help the nephews cut up Deer and so on.
I pull. Then regroup, review, recharge, reload and reset.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I got ripped off last season leaving sprung traps out. I snapped everything before Christmas, with the intention of resetting in mid January. When I went back to reset, six of my #2 Bridgers were gone. This was on private, posted ground. Someone had taken a UTV and used the winch to pull on the cable stakes, snapped them in the frozen ground. If I do it again, I’ll cover my traps.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have kept the line out through rifle season with little issues. I keep it shorter and get it checked before daybreak. It has been my expierence that many K9s are displaced during rifle season, placing them in my sets. Have had some banner day checks on the 2nd day of rifle season. The rest ain't to bad either.

I have pulled for rifle season before and was wishing instead of catching fur.

I am not recommending running K9 sets through rifle season that can't be checked predawn. And even predawn checking can have issues with hunters.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
started setting today. its kinda nice to be on your own property during deer season!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I probably never will again.

One year when 2B had the extended doe rifle season I had a line out. Last day. It was a beautiful day. I knew the day would bring hunters out.

I decided to check my line backwards checking the obvious field sets and such first and the woods and briar patches last.

Got to the last farm. Boot tracks. Ah. Walking both ways he's gone.

I get to the briar patch where I had cables hung on a trail an pack of yotes was running regularly. Saw a catch circle as I was nearing my sets. Boot prints. Blood everywhere. Cable was pried apart because they couldn't figure out how to work the lock. Coyote gone.

I don't think I've set a trap since. I was disgusted. The money and more importantly time invested....if it ain't yours leave it alone!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts