The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of luke-warm beverages at 10 AM, even though I pour boiling water in the bottle first to preheat. Thermos? Aladdin? Stanley? All made in China.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think mine is Thermos brand. Might have picked it up at wally world 10 years ago for 15 bucks. Keeps stuff hot til the evening while hunting.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Get yourself a pocket butane stove such as the MSR Pocket Rocket. You'll never use a thermos again. It will boil a pint of water in less than 5 minutes. Nothing better than piping hot liquids on those long cold days on stand. 10AM us usually a slow time for us when on stand so what little odor the stove produces isn't going to hurt your chances.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
best one i ever bought was at wal mart, its a "Thermos" brand sportsman series, Thats whats on the label, still hot at the end of the day.

what i want to know is how does a thermos know what to keep cold and what to keep hot ?

Reactions: 4x4dad

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I picked up a black, not the typical green, Thermos at an auction for $1 a few years back. Money well spent... it accompanies me to the farm for the morning milking on many a cold morning, and is always steaming hot well into the afternoon, even after being opened and sipped from dozens of times. It usually gets filled around 2am, so I don't bother taking the time to pre-warm it with hot water, and I've never felt it needed to be done anyway.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have an older Stanley one... but what I do is BEFORE pouring in the coffee fill it with boiling or very hot tap water and let it sit for a few minutes... then empty it and pour in the coffee.. adds a couple of extra hours where the coffee is still hot....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Zojirushi. I got a couple of them for myself three years ago and gave a bunch as gifts. To test it, I filled it with coffee and took a sip every hour while it say on the floor of my poorly heated shipping container (floor temp was around 40 deg). After 17 hours it was still hot. By 24 it was warm enough to drink, but not enjoy.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Stanley for me. Classic, tough, and it keeps it hot all day.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I picked one up as well, great thermos. I got mine on eBay for around $25.

Go to their website, they show you each of their models. But along with it is how much the temperature the hot water dropped over specific intervals. Very solid thermos's

Zojirushi. I got a couple of them for myself three years ago and gave a bunch as gifts. To test it, I filled it with coffee and took a sip every hour while it say on the floor of my poorly heated shipping container (floor temp was around 40 deg). After 17 hours it was still hot. By 24 it was warm enough to drink, but not enjoy.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I like my stanley. I have several models. I like to make my coffee add my cream then I put it in a pan and boil it. Its hot all day.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I know you said thermos but, Big yeti cup

Big ozark trail cup from Wally World

Clarify please..... the Walmart brand insulates as well as the Yeti? Vary seldom will I use a thermos for anything. I've considered getting one of these new insulated cups. .....my wife swears by hers but have no idea what make it is.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Clarify please..... the Walmart brand insulates as well as the Yeti? Vary seldom will I use a thermos for anything. I've considered getting one of these new insulated cups. .....my wife swears by hers but have no idea what make it is.
Yes, and at a quarter of the cost.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I just bought the Yeti thermos it seems to work well ...But I am a coffee nut so my coffee is usually gone by 10 anyway...Its a little small but it packs nice the only real complaint is it doesn't have a built in cup so you have to carry that too .....I also have 2 Yeti insulated mugs they are worth the investment

·
Super Moderator
4,542 Posts
Yup, for 9.99 they are great.... Lots of side by side comparison and they work just as well as the yeti.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i have an old stanley my dad gave me. keeps coffee hot all day, i preheat as well. I've emptied the day after and the coffee was still warm.

i've bought 2 new stanleys at walmart, the 1 i threw away, coffee was cold by 10-11....the other works fine, i use it for work coffee. My old one i camo tapped :) so its only for hunting.

·
Banned
110 Posts
We use Stanley. Keeps it hot, not warm all day. The light green ones with the silver cap. The silver cap is the only negative. I usually hang mine off of a hook, and it would look like a mirror up there. So all of ours have camo tape covering the silver.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Thermos Nissan vacume bottle. Nothing beats opening your thermos the next day and you are steam! Cabelas has them. They make a camo one but it's hard to find.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts