The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Who made this flintlock pistol??

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Grey Bear Jr 
#1 ·
I picked up this pistol... doesnt have any markings., looks to be over 60 caliber..anyone have any Idea? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no idea on the pistol, however it looks to be very old and could be worth alot,they say do not clean it up leave as you find it. I saw a site on flintlock pistol values and will try to find it again, would be very interested in knowing what you find out as to it's orgin and value. Good Luck I am going to surf for that site and will get back to you.

#5 ·
Hey bud, can't tell from the pictures. Could be some old Belgian Style military pistol. There's a few things that just don't look right. gap between frizzen and pan, lack of decoration on the lock late. The cross hatch "Checkering" going up the stock. Could also be Khyber junk. (Stuff banged out by Khyber pass area black smiths and sold to American GI's in Iraq and Afghanistan. There's alot of it coming into the country right now. I;ve seen copies of Brit rifles, with the word Enfield spelled wrong)

The file marks on the barrel and the butt cap appears to be two pieces. If it were an original, it would most likely be iron, not steel. khyber junk has been knocked togeher and sold to tourists for a 100 years.

It still might be an old original, perhaps with a replacement lock. The lock plate screws look modern. Generally, lock plate screws were finished flush on the lock side of originals.

That style of stock decoration did exist in some oldies, but wasn't generally used in Martial pistols. Have somebody like Greg Dixon look at it. Another possibility is that it was a repro made for Turner Krikland of Dixie Gunworks back in the day. he had some modern made repros banged out in Belgium and elsewhere. Some of his early guns from the fifties and early 1960's looked rough finished like the lock and with similar file marks on the barrel. Although, they usually
had proof marks on them.

A real quick check would be to see if it is iron or steel. The rust on iron isn't so reddish as what shows on the lock.

#6 ·
Hey bud, can't tell from the pictures. Could be some old Belgian Style military pistol. There's a few things that just don't look right. gap between frizzen and pan, lack of decoration on the lock late. The cross hatch "Checkering" going up the stock. Could also be Khyber junk. (Stuff banged out by Khyber pass area black smiths and sold to American GI's in Iraq and Afghanistan. There's alot of it coming into the country right now. I;ve seen copies of Brit rifles, with the word Enfield spelled wrong)

The file marks on the barrel and the butt cap appears to be two pieces. If it were an original, it would most likely be iron, not steel. khyber junk has been knocked togeher and sold to tourists for a 100 years.

It still might be an old original, perhaps with a replacement lock. The lock plate screws look modern. Generally, lock plate screws were finished flush on the lock side of originals.

That style of stock decoration did exist in some oldies, but wasn't generally used in Martial pistols. Have somebody like Greg Dixon look at it. Another possibility is that it was a repro made for Turner Krikland of Dixie Gunworks back in the day. he had some modern made repros banged out in Belgium and elsewhere. Some of his early guns from the fifties and early 1960's looked rough finished like the lock and with similar file marks on the barrel. Although, they usually
had proof marks on them.

A real quick check would be to see if it is iron or steel. The rust on iron isn't so reddish as what shows on the lock.

#8 ·
Agree with Zim. There is a lot wrong with this. I would tend toward a Bohemian coach or holster pistol
Bohemian Holster Pistol
but there are a lot of replaced parts on this gun. The butt cap and side plate definitley have the lines and design (if it had not had the crap polished out of it) of those eastern European guns. Problem is that the screws on the side plate are all replaced. The lock is absolute junk. Plate fit is good but they did not nickle their plates. It is most likely a replacement despite the good fit.

Depending on where you live, take it to a good gun museum and have a curator take a look. If your near Carlisle I would be happy to look at it for you or have one of our other curators at AHEC take a look. The tell tale signs for this gun will be under the barrel and inside the lock mortise.

PM me if you want us to take a look.

GBJ

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.