The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy norm carr is teaching me how to do self tanning and he finished my skunks the other day and he gave me this old Photo. He said he got the photo at a sale a long time ago but doesn’t know who the trappers are in the photo. Does anybody know the photo? Sure is a big haul of skunks and I think the skunks really make the man cave nice. I think I’m gonna call it the skunk shack

Attachments

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I would say that photo was taken sometime in the 1940’s when skunks, (American sable) was bringing a small fortune for the times.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Skunk trapping also helped countless rural families weather the Great Depression, mailing their pelts to Sears, Roebuck in return for a check or store credit. Through its annual newsletters and radio shows, Sears (aka “Johnny Muskrat”) created a whole new generation of trappers, and became one of the largest fur buyers in the US

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
Neat pictures!!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
My dad trapped a lot back in the 1930's and 40's. Mother told me he smelled like a skunk every fall. They were married in November 1937, I came along, the only child, in December 1946, wonder if this as the reason. LOL

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Dad told me he made over $1000 one year, including bounty money. Didn’t say what year, would of been in the 30’s or early 40’s. A lot of money back then.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
grandpa always loved it when I brought a skunk home. he'd tell me the "star" skunk brought the most money, almost all black with a white "star" on its forehead. never caught one.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Household cooking fats and fats from furbearers were wanted/neeeded during both wars. Uncle Sam advertised and need these fats to produce explosives.
Fats are used to make glycerin, and glycerin is used to make things blow up.
One pound of fat supposedly contained enough glycerin to make about a pound of explosives.
Skunk have alot of fat and Pa. had a good population in the war years. At the same time,Coon had a low population. So government ask trapper to target Skun along with any furbearer fat.

During this time period there were some neat advertisement posters & newspaper ads, the U.S. government put out. State agencies though out the country advertised for 'fat'.

Here's a couple of Posters from Pa. Game Commission during war time...

November 1944 (800x599).jpg

pgc poster.jpg

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I don't need recreational marijuana. I actually like the faint smell of skunk in the fall with a frost.

As for Dicks, I remember a guy that had a tussle with a bank, so he put some fish in his safe deposit box.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Dad always said the all black brought the best price.
We had a fur dealer that both dad and I sold pelts to, can't recall his name any more. First time I met him, it was after dad had passed, I introduced myself and told hime I had some fur to sell. He asked if my father's name was the same as mine, and I said yes. He looked out the corner of his eyes and said " They're not in a burlap bag are they?" I just laughed and said no. Hears the story.
Dad was pulling traps for the season one year, then was going to sell everything when done, had his furs with him in the car in a burlap bag. The only thing he caught that day was one skunk. He gave it a good rap on the back of its head, threw it the pack basket and finished pulling his traps. When he got to the car he put the dead skunk into the burlap bag with the rest of his furs. Drove to Mill Hall and the walked into the fur dealer's shop with the bag. When it was his turn the dealer said "let's see what you got Tom". Dad emptied the bag on the floor, that's when the fun began, the so called dead skunk had come back to life.
Dad told me he really though the skunk was dead, but the fur dealer always said dad did it on purpose. LOL

Reactions: Nightblaster

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
My grandfather always told me he was the richest kid in school, checked one half of the line on the way to school, the other half on the way home. "pole cats" were the biggest money maker. This was in Western Chester County, so the other thing he always told me, is he never caught a red fox, only ever Greys. Now it's the total opposite, i've never seen a grey in these parts in my life, only Reds.

I've never personally trapped, but I find it extremely interesting, and love following the posts on here.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I know a Pa. guy that caught 123-133 Skunks this season.
Hides sold for more than Red Fox pelts.
Plus he sells the essence.
So there are still a few guys targeting Skunk. And producing essences for lure makers & perfume trade.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I know a Pa. guy that caught 123-133 Skunks this season.
Hides sold for more than Red Fox pelts.
Plus he sells the essence.
So there are still a few guys targeting Skunk. And producing essences for lure makers & perfume trade.
We don’t seem to have any big skunk numbers here in Butler County. I’ve caught far more fishers in my traps than I have skunks. Personally, I’m OK with a low skunk population.... they’re hard on my beehives and a pain in the butt in trap. I’ll stick with collecting castor and leave the skunk essence for others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts