The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I will be hunting with my flintlock unless its really pouring rain. Then Ill take the percussion. Hope it ain't raining.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Already filled my buck tag , so can't hunt until first saturday. Will be trying for a doe with new lyman deerstalker then.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Going to take a pistol out the first day.

It started out as a .45 cal, with a 16", 13/16 barrel, John Bailes lock, and no sights cut in. It was made by some gunsmith, at the direction of an artist.

I dropped it with Bob Hoyt for a makeover. He said .50 with patch depth rifling would be iffy for a 13/16, but light bullit rifling would be OK. So He bored it to .50, gave it 1/24 twist and light rifling, and dovetailed it for a CVA MT. rifle rear sight I had, and a blade front.

It is a blast to shoot, with Hornady PA conicals and 35gr of 3FFF. The only minor issue is having to carry a ramrod separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looks like rain this weekend so the smokepole might be out for bear. Maybe I'll go full "Wyatt Earp" this weekend with the Sharps and Schofield.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It started out as a .45 cal, with a 16", 13/16 barrel, John Bailes lock, and no sights cut in. It was made by some gunsmith, at the direction of an artist.

I dropped it with Bob Hoyt for a makeover. He said .50 with patch depth rifling would be iffy for a 13/16, but light bullit rifling would be OK. So He bored it to .50, gave it 1/24 twist and light rifling, and dovetailed it for a CVA MT. rifle rear sight I had, and a blade front.

It is a blast to shoot, with Hornady PA conicals and 35gr of 3FFF. The only minor issue is having to carry a ramrod separately.
Nice pistol.......Bet that would be fun to take a deer down with.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

What do you figure your max effective range to be Rusty?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30 yards is doable with the pistol. The doe I shot last year with the rifle was probably no more than about 35 or 40 yards out. In the right circumstance they can come close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts