The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I shoulda made this a poll? But then....it's like huntin with a smoke pole....maybe I shoulda waited until those deer moved up\down that hill until I took that shot???

Anyway....just askin if anyone carries or hunts with a flinter pistol?

I know the law changed....I don't know if it was this year or last. But the gun has to be at least 50 cal.

Just curious to find out what your results were.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
I have a POS Traditions Trapper in 50 flint. I would carry it as a second follow up shot. It is neither reliable enough or accurate enough to be a primary weapon. Not that I have a low opinion of flint pistols, just a low opinion of that particular pistol. I've been thinking of getting a North Start wEST PISTOL.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
i carry one but its more for show im good to about 15 yds with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of These kit guns for a summer project.

From what I can tell this gun will shoot either a PRB or a 240gr conical at a MV of about 1,000 fps. It's got a 12.5" barrel on it and comes with front and rear sights.

FWIW

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,441 Posts
I see you were looking at my favored site.I gave them a call last week and there a wait on the .50 cal barrel,they may have the .54 in.They have cherry,walnut and maple stocks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,722 Posts
I too have been kickin the idea around about gettin a M/L pistol.I think hunkered down in a thicket or ambushin one from a tree stand at close range would be so cool.That,s it,I think I just convinced myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
Three guys I hunt with surprised me this Flintlock season when they showed up with flintlock pistols(Traditions)this year.
None of them got a shot on any of the days I hunted with them but they really liked them.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,441 Posts
good ole boy said:
I too have been kickin the idea around about gettin a M/L pistol.I think hunkered down in a thicket or ambushin one from a tree stand at close range would be so cool.That,s it,I think I just convinced myself.
There was a video on one of the pistol post and a guy did take one from a tree stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DCabets28 said:
Three guys I hunt with surprised me this Flintlock season when they showed up with flintlock pistols(Traditions)this year.
None of them got a shot on any of the days I hunted with them but they really liked them.

Dave
SHhhhh......Dave....Don't tell Zimmer that they liked the Traditions Flinter's. I don't think he's real fond of his.....he keeps using the letters "POS" when he talks about it.

I think that means "Keep it POSitive? Yeah....that's it!


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Retiredusne8 said:
I see you were looking at my favored site.I gave them a call last week and there a wait on the .50 cal barrel,they may have the .54 in.They have cherry,walnut and maple stocks
I haven't made the call yet. Don't ask me why not......'cause I've already made up my mind this is the pistol that I like. Did they say how long the wait is for the 50 cal barrels? It's tough to do much work on 'em without the barrels.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,722 Posts
I think I seen that Retired.Was that the one that the guy is shootin the flinty left handed?It looked like he injured or lost his right arm.He scores at the end of the video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,038 Posts
I have a traditions kit, but it is a percussion, I've been looking at the flintlock kits. It would definatly be fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,441 Posts
good ole boy said:
I think I seen that Retired.Was that the one that the guy is shootin the flinty left handed?It looked like he injured or lost his right arm.He scores at the end of the video.

Yes that was the one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,441 Posts
Mark Kw
That almost a sawed off rifle. Do you have any data on fps,the .54 is what I've been thinking of.1.5 is a great group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
Mark Kw
That almost a sawed off rifle. Do you have any data on fps,the .54 is what I've been thinking of.1.5 is a great group.
Match-grade barrel and no I don't have "good" chrony numbers on this one yet. I haven't replaced my chrony that puked, ran some over a friend's chrony showing in the 12xx's but his was throwing erratic readings with everything we ran over it including the smokeless suppository gun rounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
We got into building our own ML pistols from kits about 8-10 years ago...b4 it became popular and expensive. I have regular 50 cal flinter, The Duckbill(3 barrel), dad has the Ethan Allen Pepperbox, and my brother has Snake eyes. My regular 50 cal was the only one we ever finished. Someday ill get the duckbill out and finish her up
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top