The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone makin mealworm flies? i need some and think they would be key for my scenario. am willing to trade or buy them. and can anyone get me started on makin em. not really into it but what would i use to make em and how the heck do you tie a knot that small??

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
i use a gold colored dubbing and a brown rib. I mainly tie these in a size 14 but you could go as large as a 10. i add these to my "cheater" box of flies that i tie wax worm patterns and such. They are super easy to tie and only take a few seconds to make. I typically fish them as a dropper to a more traditional fly.

i would go with:

nymph hook in 1 or 2 xl shank
brown thread
get 1 bead sized for the next size hook
put on the bead
tie in thread
tie in the rib (brown vinyl or gold ribbing would work)
loosly dub the body starting at the rear with a very subtle taper at rear end.
wrap the rib to create a few sections.
whip finish and be done.

these "cheater flies" work great in the early season with stockies but i rarely do well after may or early june. Hope this helps. If you cant figure out how to tie them hit me up and i can hook you up. I would rather see you learn how to tie them though. A great easy patern to get you started.

I know it sounds crazy but sometimes the trout will look at the bright waxworm or mealworm fly and then focus on the more natural fly and take it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the help thus far. i know nothing of tying flies. some of your lingo is german but i got the jist. thanx.

bowmike, i will gladly pay you to make me a small batch and i will get with a friend who may be more apt to do this. i got no time as it is,lol

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Here is the wax worm fly I tie, but many people call it the meal worm fly. You can get them with or without a gold bead, as well as weight it according to conditions.

Sorry for the rough thread cut on the head.

The thread is Danville 210 Danier
The underbody is cream micro yarn
Top is natural latex (you can cut a glove into thin strips)...they used to sell it already done
Tie a head and whip finish.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
very similar to a caddis larva. Just not natural looking. Fly guy i like that pattern and the color is spot on.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, this is cool stuff. i tried some things on boat yesterday and my fly that worked best got robbed. went to cast and had a hit and lost the fly. someone please hook me up with mealies. still had lots of hits on meals with spinning tackle. my buddy got some on egg flies and my fav. was a brown fly with the hair at the head ripped off. resembled a mealy.

i just dont know how to tie knots and what to buy and all that. if someone hooks me up i'll pay or trade for huntin or fishin. name it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If you add black marker on the back or belly, before the latex, it comes through when wet. I think most tiers don't look at what the fly looks like wet. I usually color the top of the head black and then epoxy it. When complete it really looks the part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts