The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
you just started hunting 9 months ago. asuming your fil is a seasoned hunter i'm sure he will want to see you get a bird and probably set you up that way. that being said you did the leg work to get the property. but out of respect for your fil for introducing you to the sort you should still offer it to him. in return he will say something like "i already killed a few so we will see if we can get you a bird" (because getting someone their first bird is almost as good or better than killing one yourself)
and then the whole deal will go astray because the turkey never reads the script. lol

·
Registered
925 Posts
All depends on various things: how long have you been married to his daughter, has it been long enough that you don't need brownie points and the biggest thing is how've you treating her. If your treating her great then fire away who cares what he says. LOL I wish I had your problem my father gave up hunting, my son has no interest in hunting and my FIL who was a great man and who I enjoyed spending time with immensely passed away so just me and my buddy which is cool with me

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
There is always a few variables for me when I hunt with
someone. Who is the better caller? Are one of you trying to
get your first bird? Who has more time to hunt during the
season? In most cases I prefer to call and let the other
person shoot. I do agree with offering him the first shot
and if he declines and wants to call for you instead then
accept the first shot.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
To be honest, I kind of enjoy seeing other kill birds, especially after this past weekend calling one in for a junior hunter.
Most of the guys I take out aren't big into turkey hunting if at all, and I kind of "talk them into" going and they soon become nuts as I consider myself haha.
I'm taking a kid I played ball with next week when he has some free time off from playing to see if he can get his first. Very, very excited I must say.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts