The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So an interesting situation has arose between my father-in-law and I. He introduced to me hunting about 9 months ago for deer season. Now with turkey season coming up, I have secured us some prime real estate on some family land... that I had to convince my uncle to let us hunt. Who gets dibs on the first shot when we go out, him or I?

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it were me and my honey hole or family ground I might have to just say I get the first shot however depending on how much you like him and how in debted you feel about the introduction to hunting he might get the first shot. Plus I assume you are sharing a bed with his daughter and he has not killed you yet again maybe he get the first shot.

In similar situations I share with friends we usually sit side by side on the same tree and which ever side the turkey comes in on is the shooter.

Rock, Paper, Scissors seems like it is the only fair way.

Good Luck making the right choice!!!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
...heres somthing my buddies and i used to do if there was 4 of us.
Morning roost set up----flip of coin..there was usually on 2 of us in the morning.
When we met after morn set up....and were cutting and running...it was whoever got the bird to gobble.....and 9/10..it was me

After 1 weekend in NY...all my buddies had a Quakerboy Mini boat paddle by the following weekend
...just something fun.

...if the FIL really likes you...he'll let you shoot the first one

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
just in case let the father in law shoot first. just incase it might be a trap and now u know he one less shot.LOL

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Let the father in law shoot first...who knows how many more of these opportunites you'll get.

Good chance you'll have more opening mornings left in ya than he does.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My friend and I encounter the same situation every year. We traditionally flip a coin opening morning for the 1st shot, but you really cant lose either way. I sometimes think calling in a bird for a friend/relative is more exciting than doing the shooting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If your FIL has never gotten a turkey then I would say him but if he has then you. If it was me I get more joy calling the birds in for someone.It don't realy matter who shoots it. The bird will belong to both of you.Your FIL will always say that his SIL called him in.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I also hunt with my father-in-law. He is 78 and not very mobile. I always give him first chance and have allowed gobblers to walk by me for him to get the shot. But before I pat myself on the back too much I admit there is some selfish motivation as well. I know if he kills one early in the season I will have more hunting by myself or at least I feel less guilty if I don't invite him along everytime I go. The hardest one to pass up is always the first! (Also a good theory for small bucks)

·
Super Moderator
12,510 Posts
Hunt in separate locations. You will gain twice the knowledge of the area each tip if you share info... and there is less chance for spooking the gobbler.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
turkey4life said:
fall gobbler said:
Whoever gets the first good shot.
that never works out proper, one person should have the joy of calling the bird in and the other of harvesting it. then oposite on the next.
Actually, it's what works best for me and the guys I hunt with. I always work that out before the set up. If it's my shot and I'm not shooting, but you have a clear 25 yard shot, kill him. That eliminates the "I didn't know you couldn't see him, I could have killed him three different times" after the bird has walked off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts