The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I didn't, at least in Pa. I know there is a few days left, but I couldn't help but notice a lot of guys that reliably kill every year have not posted success on the boards. Now maybe some have moved on from the forum, but still, it definitely seems down.

Every year we hear it's a tough year, strange year, off year...but this year seems to take the cake.

Any thoughts? Anybody have a long streak come to an end?

On a side note, Virginia released their numbers and had a 16 percent decline in kill, while noting that there was 12-16 straight days of precipitation during the season. It was a tough and "off" year here as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My son and I.

My only motivation to go out now into the silence every morning is to say "I only missed 3 days".

I'm thinking about hunting until noon and taking the boat out and having some beer in the sun tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I did not...but I truly love the sounds of spring...gobbling, birds, and seeing deer and doe with fawns....just a great time...saw 5 buck in a bachelor group last Saturday...Heard Gobblers every time out so no loss on not bagging a bird ...will be bigger in Fall...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Not me. I called 2 to their death but that doesn't punch my tag.

Came close the last 2 days.

I was tagged out by the first Thursday last year. Rough year but have logged a lot of miles and learned a TON.

Just need to start taking more advice from the veteran turkey hunters. Maybe its like a hunting dog. They don't reach their prime until year 5. LOL

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Birds going NUTS on the ridge tops of 2C over the past week. Lots of dirt naps being taken. Keep at it guys!

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 12 year streak is in major trouble. This year has been my worst one in memory. I can't hunt everyday, but I get out as much as I can. Me and my boy didnt hear many, see many, and worked only one that i thought I could kill- didnt. My normal hotspots are dead quiet..... Ive been to more new areas this year looking and so far, Zippo...
Reading this forum is funny. Some guys had their best year ever, when others are struggling beyond belief...
I'll keep at it, but the fun is starting to leave....... fast.....
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Definitely an off year. Evening scouts have paid little dividends and birds just aren't as vocal. That said, persistence has led to quite a few successful days afield. And for those of you still out there looking to punch tag #1 or #2... Battle the heat and stick it out. Don't get discouraged when daylight comes and the birds aren't talking. They're still there. Called in 8 gobblers on Wednesday at 11:30 that talked more than any birds I've dealt with all season and watched a good friend punch tag #1 on a hefty longbeard. The contents of his stomach? One lone cicada. So their minds are still on breeding, not feeding. Three days left, make em' count!

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
First time in a long time my tag is still attached to my license.
I spent the 2nd week hunting them but it just didn't work out.
Family comments kept me out of the woods every Saturday of the season.
The number of turkey we have are good, but I have talked to many of the locals who put in more time than I and as of tonight still are waiting for a shot.

Well... there is always the fall.

Good Luck to you guys still waiting tomorrow

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Me, I didn't even go out once. Too busy trout fishing and having a great time of it.
Strange because I love Spring Gobbler hunting.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The younger me was all about trying to collect as many long beards as I could, the older me just likes spending time in the woods with my bow. Using a shotgun in the area's I hunt would most likely mean my season would be over on opening day, and I would not consider that a successful season.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
BowMaster5687 said:
The contents of his stomach? One lone cicada. So their minds are still on breeding, not feeding.
The bird I killed the other evening had his crop stuffed to the point of bursting. He was in a clover field with 4 other longbeards and 3 hens, so I thought for sure I'd open him up and find nothing but clover leaves.
I was certainly surprised to see nothing in there but dandelion leaves and grass seeds. Not a single bug and not a piece of clover.

They showed zero interest in the hens or my calls, but they all had a pretty good squabble amongst themselves. Maybe trying to re-establish a pecking order since of few of their buddies went to gobbler heaven.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Worst season in over 20 years in 1b area!

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
I did not harvest a gobbler this spring. That was not my main focus. The couple days that I hunted alone, I carried an old 16 ga that I have to try for one with that. But. my mainfocus was to call one in for my dad. He passed a jake, missed a longbeard and then finally got one. For myself after that, doesn't really matter to me...

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Im in the minority but found this season to be one of the best ever. Lots of birds talking. hunted 2 states and either had hens or gobblers working each day. Just means next yr will probably be hard as heck. LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
First time in many years that i did not fill a tag.Had a great first week,heard and worked gobblers on multiple days,but could'nt connect.Thought the season was going to be a good one.However the 2nd,and 3rd weeks,i did not hear one single gobble,very frustrating and strange to say the least.This past week i heard 2 gobblers,had one probably fifty yards away going crazy,but i couldnt see him through all of the foliage.hoping to get a gobbler in the fall.I know where they're at.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Struck out in PA & NY, second year in a row (total of 10 days hunted in both states in 2016), I can count the number of gobbles I heard on my fingers this year. I'm going to have to look into finding new spots to hunt, the old stand-bys aren't cutting it anymore.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
This was the first season I haven't killed a gobbler in probably at least ten years. HOWEVER, the highlight of my season was calling in my 10 year old daughter's 1st longbeard. That made my season.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
TurkeyMike said:
Tag soup tasted good for lunch. DOUBLE SERVING TOO. LOL
Yes Mike, but look how much ya learned. The birds you don't kill very often teach you much more than the ones you do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts