The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from Adventures.Everybodyshops.com.

It’s a first in the white-tailed deer woods, at least in the last 18 years.

And not necessarily a good one.

Hunters in the 37 states and six Canadian provinces with whitetails killed, on the whole, more antlered deer in the 2017-18 season than antlerless ones, according to the Quality Deer Management Association’s “Whitetail Report 2019.”
That hadn’t happened since 1998.

“The total antlered buck harvest of 2,879,000 in the United States was 2 percent more than the previous season, and 23 of 36 states increased their buck harvest,” said Kip Adams, the Association’s director of conservation. “On the contrary, antlerless harvest was down slightly to 2,827,288.”

That’s a difference of 51,732.

The gap could be smaller, or disappear altogether. The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources did not return harvest figures in time to be included in the report. There, hunters typically take 70,000 to 90,000 more antlerless deer than antlered ones annually.

But the trend is pretty clear.

Bucks harvests are generally increasing while doe harvests are generally declining, Adams said. And that’s the way things have been for years now.

Given that, he predicted last year that the antlered kill was likely to finally overtake the antlerless harvest in 2017-18. It apparently did.

But that’s not necessarily a good thing, he said then.

While there are exceptions, in most places hunters have to shoot more does than bucks to control deer populations and keep them in balance with the available habitat, he said.

Fawns are born at a one-to-one ratio of males to females. But, Adams said, males have higher mortality rates than females, in hunting season and outside of it.

“So you have to shoot more antlerless deer than bucks each year to keep their sex ratios relatively balanced,” he said.

The Whitetail Report 2019 doubled down on that.

“Reduced antlerless harvests are necessary in areas where deer herds have been balanced with the habitat and/or when other mortality factors (such as predation or disease) are increasing,” it reads. “However, few states should be harvesting more antlered bucks than antlerless deer on a regular basis.”

Many are.

According to the report, six of 13 Midwestern states, eight of 13 Northeastern states and seven of 10 Southeastern states shot more antlered deer than antlerless ones in 2017-18.

“In total, 27 of 36 states (75 percent) shot more antlerless deer in 2017 than the prior year, but 28 of 36 states (78 percent) shot fewer antlerless deer than their five-year average,” the report added.

There’s one good thing going on with all of those bucks being taken, though. It’s how old they are.

In 1989, 62 percent of all the bucks killed in the country were yearlings, or 1.5-years-old. In 2017-18, just 35 percent were. That “remains near the lowest national percentage ever reported,” the sport said.

Meanwhile, one of every three antlered bucks shot in the United States was at least 3.5 years old.

“This is a testament to how far we’ve come as hunters and deer managers,” the report said.

Other statistics from the Whitetail Report 2019
Here’s a look at some other data collected by the Quality Deer Management Association on whitetail harvest numbers.

Sixty-six percent of deer taken in the 2017-18 season were killed with a firearm, compared to 23 percent with a bow and 10 percent with a muzzleloader.
An average of 41 percent of deer hunters were successful. Fifteen percent shot more than one deer.
Texas hunters shot the most bucks overall in 2017-18 (506,809), followed by Michigan (226,656), Pennsylvania (163,750), Wisconsin (158,812) and Georgia (139,424).
Michigan hunters killed the most bucks per square mile, at 4.0. Next in line were Pennsylvania (3.7), Maryland (3.3), South Carolina (3.1) and Wisconsin (2.9).
The top five states for antlerless harvest were Texas (411,200), Georgia 242,205), Pennsylvania (203,409), Wisconsin (161,227) and Michigan (150,709).
Maryland hunters killed the most antlerless deer per square mile, at 5.7. Next were Delaware (5.2), Pennsylvania (4.5), Georgia (4.2) and New Jersey (3.9).
New Jersey hunters had over half of their total deer harvest in the freezer prior to opening day of their firearms season, while Minnesota hunters shot more than a quarter of their entire deer harvest on opening day of their primary firearms season.

·
Registered
25,492 Posts
Had that haggle one time at a street fair. One of our club members used to bring bunnies, geese and some exotic pheasants that he raised. I left for a few hours, when I got back the ol' boys manning the booth, said people had been raising cain all morning about two things.

Deer farmer used to bring us a fawn each year. We'd tote a chain link dog pen over from the Agway, bust a bale of straw in it and throw a tarp over the top. Fawn was a big hit with kids.

Now and then a woman or two would come up and holler about the poor baby deer that didn't have any water. Next two that came up and got on that jag, I offered to handle it, old boys told me to stay back and keep quiet, while they explained that the fawn got a bottle in the morning, one in the afternoon and another one in the evening - for probably about the hundredth time.

One member that had just retired from the USAF and was helping out, wanted to know why they didn't let me handle it. They told him they didn't want me handling any interactions with the public. Figured I'd ask 'em how bleep many fawns they'd raised?

0:)

Then it was the sign on a big cage with a goose, that said "Canadian Goose". I got to handle that one, when a girl came up and started in on that again. Apparently she'd been coming by about every hour or so, to berate our folks about the sign?

Told her that one actually IS a Canadian Goose, because that's where the goose had come from. She cussed me out, but never came back again.

:sad:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Whitetail deer, not white-tailed deer.

And they're Canada geese, not canadian.
You're correct on the Canada goose but wrong on white-tailed deer. :wink2:

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Antlered Pennsylvania (163,750) buck per SqMi (3.7)

Antlerless Pennsylvania (203,409) baldies per SqMi ((4.5)

That is 39,659 more antlerless than antlered

8.2 deer per SqMi.

for the 2017/18 season not last season but the season before.

Proof PA is bucking the national trends and we are not like the other states. Why would we want to be like them. Waugh!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

8.2 deer per SqMi.

Proof PA is bucking the national trends and we are not like the other states. Why would we want to be like them. Waugh!

We must rank number one for killing all those deer with the fewest amount of shots possible.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts

8.2 deer per SqMi.

We also have the 2nd highest percentage of fawns in the antlerless harvest at 36%.

The top states for antlerless to antlered buck. We didn't make that list.
• QDMA's Whitetail Report 2019 WhitetailReport
Top States Antlerless Deer Per Antlered Buck Harvested
State 2017 Ratio
Delaware 2.0
Georgia 1.7
Maryland 1.7
Indiana 1.5
New Jersey 1.4
Ohio 1.4
Rhode Island 1.4

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Could that 36% fawns in the antlerless harvest be a factor towards the other thread where it says our recruitment is trending downward? If our average has been in the 20 to 25% range and now it is 36% that has to impact fawn recruitment into the herd. Not sure if it is looked at in that way. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the avg. for fawns in the harvest was around 40% since they started keeping track and its been declining over the last 5 years. we were around 20-24% button bucks in the harvest annually.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Yes the percentage of fawns in the antlerless deer harvest has been declining and I am sure that is what is driving the data that suggests our fawn recruitment has declined.

The fawn recruitment rate might be declining but I wouldn't put much stock in that just yet. The problem with using the percentage of fawns in the antlerless harvest as the gauge for determining fawn recruitment rates, especially over longer periods of time, is that there are other factors that will influence hunters targeting or not targeting adult does verse juvenile deer.

As deer numbers increase I suspect hunters are more likely to target adult does than they are to shoot the smaller deer in the group. When deer numbers decline and hunters are only seeing the juvenile deer that are left, after someone already removed the adult doe, they are more likely to shoot one of the fawns. I also suspect that as our archery and early muzzleloader, junior and senior October season harvest make up an ever increasing percentage of the antlerless harvest they will be targeting the mature does instead of the smaller fawns.

Those factors can make it appear that the fawn recruitment rate is declining when in reality it might just mean that hunters are targeting more of the older does instead of the fawns.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yes the percentage of fawns in the antlerless deer harvest has been declining and I am sure that is what is driving the data that suggests our fawn recruitment has declined.

The fawn recruitment rate might be declining but I wouldn't put much stock in that just yet. The problem with using the percentage of fawns in the antlerless harvest as the gauge for determining fawn recruitment rates, especially over longer periods of time, is that there are other factors that will influence hunters targeting or not targeting adult does verse juvenile deer.

As deer numbers increase I suspect hunters are more likely to target adult does than they are to shoot the smaller deer in the group. When deer numbers decline and hunters are only seeing the juvenile deer that are left, after someone already removed the adult doe, they are more likely to shoot one of the fawns. I also suspect that as our archery and early muzzleloader, junior and senior October season harvest make up an ever increasing percentage of the antlerless harvest they will be targeting the mature does instead of the smaller fawns.

Those factors can make it appear that the fawn recruitment rate is declining when in reality it might just mean that hunters are targeting more of the older does instead of the fawns.

Dick Bodenhorn

I agree with you except for the part I made red. Those seasons don't count because they are just figments of our imagination. All data on harvest is from the rifle season and has been for a long time. They then use the tags sent from bow and ML to make up the data. Please don't ask me for a link or I will need a drink. Waugh!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts