The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did a search for the topic and didn't find anything so I hope I'm not duplicating. I don't frequent this subforum of the board often but due to some trail cam pics tonight I got to thinking.

I got a buck on camera for the first time (I knew he was in my area) tonight when I swapped out my cards. He'd be the biggest deer I've shot to date. In my life I never imaginged I'd pay to have a deer mounted, but for this guy I'm thinking I'd do it.

So how does it work, by the pose, # of points, total area (like a fish is done)? I just have no clue and any help you guys have would be great.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Shoulder mount, turned any old way$400-600. Doesn't matter how many points or size.

·
Registered
822 Posts
And You pay for what You get , look at His/Her work on "deer" very carefully and get feedback from Customers , Some are good for Birds or Fish, far less good for deer mounts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Since you haven't actually gotten him to date, go visit some taxidermists to see who's work you like. And yes don't go by price alone, don't just pick the cheapest. Some folks here can maybe recommend some for your area ( 2B, 2F, 1A) that you can then go look at. Or some worth the drive to go to that are further away.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox you're right...I still have to get him. I don't see myself going with the cheapest by any means. I was thinking it would be somewhere in the $800-1000 or more range to begin with...so seeing that pricing for even a quality job would be around there or lower makes me feel a little better. I'll probably only get one done in my whole life for my mancave so why not get it done right.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
And remember more expensive doesn't mean better either. Best bet is to get some suggestions here and look at their work. Bed sure if they show u some work to ask if that is what u could expect.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Nope, straight price regardless if it's a 6 point or 12. Expect to pay $350-500.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Randy Kuntz does really good work. Hes done a few mounts for me and his prices are really good too. Hes a sponsor of the sight.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Pricing that privous people posted is about right. Expect to be at a taxidermists shop at least an hour if it is your first time...the amount of positions and slight head turns can be overwhelming. It may help if you check out some taxidermy supply stores online like Mckenzie or Van Dykes. Turn around time is generally 9 months to a year . . . plus or minus! Don't rush the taxidermist!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Dang !!! I am a taxidermist in 1A if your lookin to spend $800.00 on a shoulder mount come see me...But 1st you better kill it then come see me...

·
Banned
649 Posts
Defiantly look before you kill one and get it to the taxidermist as soon as possible , you can show it off when it's mounted ! Nothing like having a hunter drive around all day on a 60* day and wonders why it is starting to slip

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to get this guy and when I do I want to be prepared. My main thing is having it ready to take to a taxidermist. I do my own butchering and I'm sure that process is going to change somehow when looking to get a shoulder mount done. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to pay to have the deer butchered with the guy knowing I want a mount. Hopefully it would be done correctly then.

·
Banned
649 Posts
I normally cape them out for my clients before they go to the butcher , doesn't happen on all of them, but I prefer to take what I need only

1 - 20 of 25 Posts