The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for something safe to spray my plots of Corn, Buckwheat, and Clover with that will kill the grasses mixed in them. I should have sprayed them before planting but unfortunatley did not.

I was looking at the WI Arrest but think I seen a post on here awhile back stating another name for the same stuff that was much cheaper. Can someone help me on this one? Is there something out there similar to the WI Arrest that I can get cheaper?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
First off, "grass killers" will kill corn, as corn is actually a grass.

2,4,D should work on corn, but it may depend on the height of the corn, but it won't kill the grasses. It will kill the broadlead weeds in the corn.

Poast will kill grass in clover, altho I have not had great success with it as it needs to be timed right.

As for grass in buckwheat, I'm guessing about anything may kill the buckwheat.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ideally, I think the grass should be 2-4 inches tall. That means mow it, wait a few days, and spray. It will also take about 2 weeks to see it dying.

Again, don't spray Poast on corn.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't be mowing my clover anythime soon, It was just planted about 4 weeks ago. When is it safe to drive over with the 4-wheeler and spray it?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Poast works fine on "young grass". I've had my best success spraying in early May.
I've never mowed and then sprayed so I can't add anything there.
The buckwheat should do fine without any weed control. Having a few weeds mixed in won't hurt anyway. It's such a shortterm crop weed control other than traditional cultivation isn't worth it.
In general, weed control should not be interpreted as weed free. Some of those weeds are beneficial to wildlife. As long as they aren't overwhelming the planted product you may be okay. I know that's not consistent with what the magazine cover foodplots look like, but that's okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts