The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Google Archery Talk, they have an outfitter section with a boatload of reviews.

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
do a google search. my son was going to go and found out they take a ton of hunters every year. over 50 some weeks. not a lot of good reviews.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Same thing I read about them ! I do know a guy that's local that works for them or use to ! He did there filming for them ! I could check with him and see if he would give me some true info on them !

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hey buddy don't book anything with them ! I just got off the phone with my buddy that use to work for them and he said its just a money racket and a scam !! He said the owner doesn't pay his managers or people, well he does but the checks always bounce so he quit there and is now filming for Interloc outdoors on the sportsmans channel !

·
4,245 Posts
No first hand experience but I have heard they push a ton of hunters through every week.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good information - one to file away for future reference!!

·
4,245 Posts
Was having a conversation with a co-worker this morning, of course talking about hunting and he mentioned that 2 years ago he went to Whitetail Heaven's KY territory. He said there were about 40 guys in camp, he didn't see very many deer, and the few buck he did see were all small. Needless to say he was disappointed.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Any outfitter will get a % of unhappy clients. But when I see more than what I consider a "normal" amount of poor reveiws, theres probably a good reason for it. Theres too many outfitters with 95% good reveiws to even think about one who's in the 70% or lower range, and from what I read WH is in that catagory.

I wouldn't hunt with any outfitter who's guides are allowed to hunt his propertys. Seen that scenario and how the paying customers were getting the leftovers while the guides hunted the best areas. That outfitter didn't seem to care, and the hunters didn't realize they were getting shafted and lied to by the guides. I wasn't even hunting there and I almost fought 2 of the guides when they told me about letting last weeks hunters tell them where they saw big bucks so they knew where to hunt themselves this week. Lying to guys paying their wages, paying for their help and expertise, guys who usually tipped them for "good service." Still chaps my backside just thinking about it.🤬

·
Registered
18,239 Posts
from what i understand. its a money mill. meaning, they run a huge number of hunters thru the outfit. they make hundreds of thousands every year. with those numbers, someone is going to kill some nice deer. those are the ones they advertise with, post reviews with.

they told me the average deer taken is in the 130 class, when i asked how many hunters get a chance at a 130 deer, what percentage of their hunters see deer of that size, i got no response.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I know of an outfit in illinois, small family run lodge. They hunt 12 guys/week on 8000 acres, 5 weeks/ yr. Last 2 years they killed 5 b&c bucks each year, plus a bunch in the 140 and up range. Success runs around 40%, shot opportunity about 70%, and their minimum is 140. That's the kind of place you want to go, it's cheaper than WH and you stay in a 750k lodge, not a converted farmhouse or camp trailer like many do at WH. The owner and guides live there and eat with the hunters, they don't hide after hunting hours, and they don't hunt. You got a problem or complaint, they're right there.

Most of those big outfitters simply cannot keep stands fresh or give personal attention when you run the kind of volume they do. And despite the fact that you're in illinois, Kentucky, or some other great state, older deer will leave the area if they get pressure and/or careless hunting. Theres alot of very lightly hunted ground in the midwest and those deer simply move away from pressure to lighty hunted or unhunted ground nearby. Been there, seen it. It ain't pa.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think I posted this before. Embarrassed to say I went to Whitetail Heaven for turkeys a few years ago. Sorry I went. First my contact person was a guide I met at Sportmen's Show. Sounded great. Days before I left to hunt Tennessee public followed by WH I called. The guide was gone but I had cancelled check and text messages. They said come on down. I arrived the night before opener. Dozens of people. Probably 40 plus. A band, food, drink like a small carnival. Big beautiful house.

I was unguided. So they paired me with a guide and two hunters. All three days I was on a property with two guides and 4 hunters. Never got close. Didn't heat turkeys two days. My public land hunt in TN was better. Some hunters on other properties killed turkeys. In my opinion it was just way too big. If you never hunted turkeys before or were from the city, it might satisfy you. I would never recommend this outfitter. Can't imagine deer season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts