The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested in improving whitetail habitat on their property, there is a great thread on " hinge cutting" on the QDMA website. It's in the habitat forum, under hinge cutting!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't think he was suggesting that you hinge cut your ornamentals or specimen trees in your yard.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Wife would love that draw more deer to the backyard. Tracks all over it as it is. See them on occassion like the last day of rifle at 3:30 am walking thru the front yard as I was loading my gear into the car to head for Snowshoe to hunt with a friend.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
My wife would like me to kill all the deer and rabbits in the area!!!

She is a city gal. Married her a few years back and convinced her to come live in my environment. We have some land and are surrounded by woods, grain fields, marsh, and ponds. Game is plentiful.

The wife loves to garden. She has spent thousands of dollars on shrubs and flowers. She could not understand why she had trouble getting stuff to grow. She is now catching on. She has learned the deer love Hostas. They eat them down to nubs. Virtually everyting else she has planted the deer have devastated.

And, on top of the deer with the big snow storms year before last the rabbits killed Japanese cherry trees and Crepe Myrtles. Check this picture out. The rabbits stripped the trees as the snow cover melted down.

rabbit damage to cherry tree

Once the wife found out who the culprits were she was furious. Shoot them she says!!

No way. They are my pets. One old doe I call "Lumpy" has had fawns each year for the last 5 in the phragmites along the pond in the back.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I can't wait to get out of this darn office and do some hinging....thanks for the heads up, QW magazine's spring edition usually has some great articles to fire up the cabin fevered habitat helpers too...if the snow pack stays non-exsistent like this I will be in heaven this late winter, but in NW PA that will likely change the day <u>before</u> I am not working all these hours and weekends.

I love how my hinged areas from two years ago look now, and so do th grouse, bunnies and deer. I got 2 areas planned for this winter, both were on the slate for last year but the 2' snowpack did me in.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm a big believer in the habitat improvement from running a chainsaw. On Saturday morning we expanded on a last year's project of leveling the red maple between a white pine sanctuary and ridge top foodplot. The oaks, cherry, hickory and serviceberry get a pass. It's about a 4 acre area and it will take us several more cutting sessions to complete it.
It doesn't seem like there would be many trees until you start cutting them down one at a time. If I were to hinge cut them it would take years to complete the area. And many of the trees are too large to hinge. I'm trying to release the more favorable trees and provide sunlight for regen. Hinging would slow that process down by increasing the forest floor competition.
Hinging is all the rage right now. I guess I haven't fallen in line yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts