The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm going old school. I have 4 feet off a doe I shot they are blazed white really nicely. I'm going to do 2 foot thermometers and a 2 foot rack. What is the best way of curing and preserving the hide without sending it to a tanner? I've been taught to use alcohol and terpintine to CURE small hides. Also where is the best place to order foot forms and thermometer supplies. I have Mackenzie, van dykes, and wasco catalogues all offer materials but I'm looking for experienced taxidermist opinions. Thanks

·
Banned
649 Posts
Freeze dry them and all three companies you mentioned are one owned by Mckenzie!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but freeze drying will not cure the hide. If by some sort of reason it were to get wet or draw damp the hide would rot. Yes I kinda thought that about the catalogues, but some items that others don't. Wasco has a thermometer kit. The other two you can buy components. Seems weird to me. Thanks

·
Banned
649 Posts
A tanned hide will rot also If it becomes wet or draws moisture, not sure where you plan on putting these, but hopefully not somewhere that they are going to be drawing moisture! I freeze deer feet all the time with no issues of dampness!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts