The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So QDMA just started to speak out against the captive Deer industry. This is something that i do not agree with. In fact it will more then likely be the sole reason i do not renew my membership. I feel that the deer industry is a good thing a very very good thing. I see no difference between raising deer and cattle. I was just wondering what some other peoples opinions are on the matter, do you feel it is wrong to have a captive deer breeding programs in our state if so why? Keep in mind im not talking about preserve hunting in this post just raising White-tails.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The purpose of captive deer breeding is to supply the preserve shooting industry. They are not mutually exclusive as you suggest.
You say captive deer breeding is "very good". Why?
I am not opposed to it as an agricultural industry. It is not hunting and the deer are not wildlife. My problems with it are the spreading of disease, and the the fact that the preserve hunting is not differentiated from real hunting by so many people..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many deer farmers who simple raise deer for a hobby, I know at least two people to whom this applies. They sell no deer to hunting perserves. And still there are others who do it for meat(Agricultre). Still other bottle urine that many deer hunters use during the season. Also how do you think many other product are tested and developed such as food plot seed. Captive deer herds are also regularly checked by state officals for all know diseases naturally occurring. Coulds anyone tell me the last time the PGC checked there entire herd for disease. And Yes I agree often times perserve hunting gives hunters a bad rap. when they think about preserves the see lots of deer in a tiny pen with people just picking aimming and shooting. however that is just people being ignorant. Many perserves are that way but that is what their clients want. who are any of us to tell them to stop giving their clients what they want. If you were to ask me if i wanted to shoot a 160+ class deer in a fifty acre pen i would say no thank you. But what if it was a 1500 acre pen that is managed to hold more naturally ocuring wildlife (flura and Funa) then most of our subpar managed gamelands. And had its own natural bredding carefully managed deer population within i would see no problem with it.

·
Administrator
28,246 Posts
barryboy08 said:
Captive deer herds are also regularly checked by state officals for all know diseases naturally occurring.
I was under the impression that live deer cannot be tested for Chronic Wasting Disease. Has that changed?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
DIYA- your right it is currently impracticble. they are just getting to the point of being able to diagnose it in live animals. Still experimental. They all hope to get a test to pick it up in urine.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
There is nothing wrong with science. The question is whether every advance is seen as effective or wanted.
Decades ago I use to hunt a farmer's land. I would ask him how he fed the cattle, how large his herd would be and questions that someone would consider if one were in a business. Even then he had no bull and was using artificial insemination.

Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered. Deer may move from a hunted prey to scientific accomplishment. And what will become of the hunter. Not what became of the deer.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
mus42tang said:
Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered.
We're already there. I don't see that as a problem. The problem will be when those antlers in fenced preserves are pursued by most hunters.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Remember the old Chiffon margarine commercials? It's not nice to fool Mother Nature....

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
mus42tang said:
Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered.
We're already there. I don't see that as a problem. The problem will be when those antlers in fenced preserves are pursued by most hunters.

Steve.
Just what problem are you getting at?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't feel there is anything wrong with the deer industry.But I raise deer too.I don't feel the market can go much futher.When you have deer like big rig over 600in.Where can it go? I have been doing it for about 10 years and don't make any money at it.I guess it a hobby now.The hunting perserves are the one that do.They give you next to nothing for your deer.That why I don't make anything because, I tell them if that all the more they what to give me. Get one somewhere else.But looking back should have for less and would have more money today.Just for the ppl that don;'t know cwd came from sheep in Co.The had sheep in a pen then got rid of.Then put deer in that pen then got tranmitted to deer.Then I think deer got out.Now for new york case taxidermist had fawn in the shop. They started to eat the salt from the hides,and one of the deer that came in have cwd. They did a 50 mile kill radius.The deer in captivity are more health the wild deer.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered. Deer may move from a hunted prey to scientific accomplishment. And what will become of the hunter. Not what became of the deer.
It could also be said we have already moved in that direction. It could be said that we already have some of the "greatest antlers" in any state found on posted preserves that have scientifically altered the normal and natural nourishment in an effort to produce desired results. Some organizations cater to this desire and method and are not shy of proclaiming that they do.

I think we are past the point where deer everywhere are equal. We have moved past the point where deer are natural pray and can be compared to each other on equal terms. Some are scientific accomplishments vice hunting accomplishments. We have crossed that line between game management and animal husbandry.

What has become of the hunter? That is a good question which will have no less than a few truthful answers.

To me this is just the kettle calling the pot black. Waugh!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
Everyday Hunter said:
mus42tang said:

Steve.
Just what problem are you getting at?
When most hunters are hunting in fenced preserves, hunting as we know it will be gone.

Steve.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
But you say nothing about bird preserves. If you look at the deer hunting in preserves as you do, then I guess you can say that bird hunting is gone as we know it. That is the times that we are living in and in the future, the only hunting is going to be behind the fence.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
But you say nothing about bird preserves. If you look at the deer hunting in preserves as you do, then I guess you can say that bird hunting is gone as we know it. That is the times that we are living in and in the future, the only hunting is going to be behind the fence.
if you look at bird hunting that way, the whole state is a bird preserve. practically no pheasants to hunt unless the PGC stocks them.

same for trout.

·
Administrator
28,246 Posts
Nature_Nut said:
I don't feel there is anything wrong with the deer industry.But I raise deer too.I don't feel the market can go much futher.When you have deer like big rig over 600in.Where can it go? I have been doing it for about 10 years and don't make any money at it.I guess it a hobby now.The hunting perserves are the one that do.They give you next to nothing for your deer.That why I don't make anything because, I tell them if that all the more they what to give me. Get one somewhere else.But looking back should have for less and would have more money today.Just for the ppl that don;'t know cwd came from sheep in Co.The had sheep in a pen then got rid of.Then put deer in that pen then got tranmitted to deer.Then I think deer got out.Now for new york case taxidermist had fawn in the shop. They started to eat the salt from the hides,and one of the deer that came in have cwd. They did a 50 mile kill radius.The deer in captivity are more health the wild deer.
You might want to check your source in regards to that information. The NY State DEC website has a very good page about chronic Wasting Disease. It explains that although CWD is related to a disease that occurs in domestic livestock it is not the same and is not transferred back and forth from either group to the other. The article also goes on to say that the disease was first discovered via testing of captive deer.
To all; It's easy enough to Google CWD and find some links leading to some interesting articles about CWD.
Here's the link to the NY State DEC webpage;
Link

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
CWD did not come from sheep!

·
Registered
57 Posts
well the department of ag is who told me.I guess my source must not know what they are talking about.That what I was told when I asked at my yearly deer check. Its not cwd in sheep but a disease that was tranmitted,that cause cwd in whitetails.just going off what I was told.I would think they know what they are talking about.Maybe new york and pa need to get together.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts