The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which does your club use for trap?

My club throws white flyer bio targets. A couple other clubs in our league throw Lowry’s. My personal beliefs is that the Lowry’s are garbage. Scores shot at clubs using them are lower. Now if you are centerpunching every target you will have no problem powdering a Lowry, but if you are hitting on the edge you will lose bird to those targets. They do not chip or crack as easily as the white flier. I have no scientific way of testing this but I believe that the Lowry birds are softer than the fliers. I have held the two about 18” above a table and dropped them flat. The fliers broke nearly every time and the Lowry’s only about half the time. To me this means the Lowry birds are less brittle. I believe that is why you will see more dust and pushed targets with Lowry birds. Another problem with them is the color they are not nearly as bright so in less than perfect conditions they are harder to see.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts

My club throws white flyer bio targets. A couple other clubs in our league throw Lowry’s. My personal beliefs is that the Lowry’s are garbage. Scores shot at clubs using them are lower. Now if you are centerpunching every target you will have no problem powdering a Lowry, but if you are hitting on the edge you will lose bird to those targets. They do not chip or crack as easily as the white flier. I have no scientific way of testing this but I believe that the Lowry birds are softer than the fliers. I have held the two about 18” above a table and dropped them flat. The fliers broke nearly every time and the Lowry’s only about half the time. To me this means the Lowry birds are less brittle. I believe that is why you will see more dust and pushed targets with Lowry birds. Another problem with them is the color they are not nearly as bright so in less than perfect conditions they are harder to see.

Interesting post. Just out of curiosity do you notice any difference between the two in terms of broken birds at time of launch or in the trap?
BTW - heard a rumor that birds are going up in price @ .01 each....

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
We use only WF targets. We average a tractor trailer load every 2 months. Maybe 8 years ago we were having issues getting WF targets when we needed them and tried to contact Lowry. Nobody ever returned our calls. They are slightly less $$ than WF, but they must be trucked in from Canada. I know that in the past there were issues with Lowry targets cycling properly in Lincoln and Promatic. I have no idea if that was ever addressed, but I know Hausmann's throws Lowry targets and he runs Promatics and MECs. We'll stick with WF here at Rock Mountain.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Interesting post. Just out of curiosity do you notice any difference between the two in terms of broken birds at time of launch or in the trap?
Yes, birds went up this month. You will see costs for a round go up too. Probably most clubs will bump $1 per 100 targets. Those that don't will continue to lose money. We will try to hold our cost for 2018, but will most likely increase that $1 per 100 bird round come January 1. Been a long time since we increased our cost per round. This is the 4th increase since then and now it has to change.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yes targets went up. I’m not sure how much but the trap team treasurer told me to raise the price of practice 50 cents.

I can’t say that I noticed much difference in broken birds at any of the clubs in our league. I’m pretty sure all our clubs are now exclusively using Pat traps. I know that at least one of the clubs throwing Lowry’s claims that their machines are cleaner than they were with the white flyers . To me that means that the Lowry’s are soft and you don’t get dust or small chips from them like you do the white flyers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts