The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hunt White Clay Creek this year? I know it used to be archery and muzzleloader only, but I can't find anything online that says that's the case. If they've changed the rules I'd take my shotgun there tomorrow, but I don't want to show up with it and see a sign telling me I can't use it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The Big Elk Creek section off Stricklersville Road is open for Shotgun. the remainder nr Landenburg is Muzzleloader and archery only. There are signs to that effect posted on preservre bulletin boards if some one hasn't torn them off.
I think the Ranger is Off tomorrow but I am sure that is what the rules are.
Smage

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
MTN HIPPIE,
I will be Fishing the Middle branch of White Clay tomorrow morning and can give you some spots to try with ML or Bow there is a Real nice 8 and a spooky 10 around there as well as some nice big girls!!
Smage

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am going to start in that area, I drive a red Chev Equinox with De tags and a "GOT AMMO" sticker on the decklid.
Smage

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
like Smage said, muzzy or bow in landenberg. shotguns allowed over at Strawbridges. and your allowed to use and inline in landenberg, or atleast that was the rules last time i check

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
and for a headsup, the fair hill hunt is the 9th and 10th i believe. not sure if your allowed to hunt Strawbridges that day, but if you are, i wuld get in there early and wait on deer to come running like crazy.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
MTN Hippie,
Did you get up to White Clay yesterday?
Heard several shots while I was Fishing. Caught and released some Nice Browns using Flies.
Smage

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was there, talked to a couple fishermen but didn't see your vehicle at the time. Some of those shots were likely mine, missed one and then discharged to unload before I left. Another fella hit one of the pair that I had shot at, and I helped him try to track her for about an hour, but there was just no blood after the first 20 yards or so. Darnedest thing, but sometimes it happens that way. Found a really good spot though.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jun1or said:
and for a headsup, the fair hill hunt is the 9th and 10th i believe. not sure if your allowed to hunt Strawbridges that day, but if you are, i wuld get in there early and wait on deer to come running like crazy.
Good idea man! Thanks for that. The guy I ran into today said that patch gets hit pretty hard, but I reckon I can find something that will work that day.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
jun1or said:
what's the deal with the strawbridges place? is it private ground? i have a customer that has mentioned about including me in a hunt there but hasn't followed through on it.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
its public ground, opened to the public last year. i think its 2000+ acres

·
Registered
95 Posts
Inline muzzleloader in White Clay? I had heard someone talking last week about using one there. I didnt think you could use an inline in Chester County. Is this an exception?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The signs at White Clay said Flintlock and Archery only. Saw people with inlines, though.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
HunterPat said:
Jun1or, I looked it up and I guess you can use them. I think I've been missing out!
you sure have. i carry mine when im hunting open fields, its nice having the range.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
mountainhippie said:
The signs at White Clay said Flintlock and Archery only. Saw people with inlines, though.
i cant say in black and white what the rule is for the Clay, but i know plenty of guys who use inlines down there. i was always under the impretion that inlines were allowed since shotguns werent.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Take it from one who knows the RULE in White Clay preserve is Shotguns permitted on the Big Elk Creek section off Stricklersville RD.Archery and MUZZLE LOADING weapons to include INLINES with scopes are allowed on sections nr Landenberg Pa. This is posted on the Board near park office . the signs that confuse people are the OLD ones that imply Flintlocks and Archery are the only legal weapons. Not so as long as there is an extended season for Firearms in 5C. Need a Flinter to take a buck or if you are using your Antlered tag to harvest an Antlerless deer.
Hope I didn't confuse anyone but i spend a LOT of time up there and have talked to great extent with Park Personnell.
Smage

1 - 20 of 51 Posts