The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see what everyones thoughts are on the debate between a whisker biscuit and the QAD Ultra Rest Pro Series HD Drop away rest. My birthday is coming up, and the wife is asking me what I want. I have been using a whisker biscuit for the last 3 years, and while I dont have any real complaints, I have had a lot of guys tell me that the QAD drop away rest is far and away the better rest, and can possibly lead to some tighter groups and more consistent arrow flight. If anyone has any thoughts or experience switching from a whisker biscuit to the QAD drop away rest, I would greatly appreciate it.

Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Personally I do not like the looks of biscuits. I only know one guy personally that was brave enough to try one and he didnt seem to like it as it didnt last long on his bow. Personally I dont like the idea of having the vanes go through the biscuit. Drop aways are a more popular setup with most bows I see at the shops.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The best way to debate this is to use examples;
1.If I am bow hunting on the ground in difficult terrain and my arrow is going to flop all over the place then the whisker Bisket would be the ticket since it encapsulates the arrow shaft.

2. If I am hunting in a tree stand in somewhat of a contolled enviroment then I would go with a drop away as they have no contact on the arrow shaft once shot.

I personally use a Trophy Taker and love it but I hunt out of a tree stand 99.99% of the time.
I also know people who use the Whisker Bisket and they say for what they do it serves their interest.

PS: Stay away from the friction type drop aways

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I like my Trophy Ridge drop zone. Used my friends Whisker biscuit and didn't care for it at all. But then again, it is the shooter's preference.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am looking into this as well. They have full containment drop away rests. Look at the NAP Scizzor. The arrow will not flop anywhere. I shoot a biscuit and have for over 5 years. I shoot a lot (in my basement) and when you shoot as much as I do the biscuit does wear out. The strands get damaged and no longer lay together. What I have seen is when the biscuit is wearing out one strand will get under a fletch and rip it off. Just like a string trimmer! I go through a biscuit a year. I am putting together a new bow this year and looking at all of the new stuff. I like the scizzor so far. The QAD HD also looks good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had a wisker on my old bow but went with a drop on my new bow the wisker is much easier and as for friction i did not notice it, the drop might get u 3 fps but the wisker wont drop your arrow

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've been using a Wisker for probably 6 years or so, love it and have no reason to switch. Maybe if I shot competition I'd think about a drop away but for hunting I'll stick with the WB. I know a whole lot of people that have them and won't use anything else either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have shot two buck from 40 plus yards with a wisker i love it i will be trying the twister quickfletch thought the wisker this year and see what happens

·
Registered
162 Posts
the ultra rest will keep your arrow in place every bit as good as the wb. you can turn the bow upside down and your arrow won't go anywhere. plus you don't have the wear on your vanes like the wb. a plus for the qad rest is easy to tune. i have the wb on my guardian and plan on putting one on the destroyer as soon as in purchase one

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
I honestly don't even see what the debate is.... especially if you're hunting. The WB is easily the best way to go.

I've had ZERO problems with mine and with the 2" blazers I've not had any fletching problems.

The fps that you might lose is just silly to even worry about. Unless you buy the speed hype jargon they feed us all the time. I've had guys get on me about switching also... until they "lose" an arrow off the rest or some mechanical part breaks.

Happy New Year to you also rut'n'strut!!

·
Banned
234 Posts
WB without a doubt if your hunting!even if your not! If your agood shot with it you will stay with anybody on the course.you'll shoot just as tight a group with the wb than you will anything else .If you like it stick with it!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
why does some say that arrows will fall off of the qad ultra rest? if you actually know what a QAD Ultra Rest is, you also know that it is nearly impossible for an arrow to fall off of or out of that rest. dont get me wrong the WB is a good rest and does what it is suppossed to do. drop aways are by far a more accurate rest than WB; what would be more accurate in your opinion an arrow that has friction and an obstacle to pass through before flight or an arrow that has nearly zero friction and is touched for less than an inch? less contact to the arrow provides better speed, accuracy and less noise. that is a fact that can not be argued.
both are good rest, it is just what you want want out of your bow shooting performance.
so..to the OP, if you are serious about making the best shot possible with your shooting ability, make your rest decision based on that.

also, arrows falling off of the rest while drawing or holding the bow back is a product of bad form.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
308Havoc said:
why does some say that arrows will fall off of the qad ultra rest? if you actually know what a QAD Ultra Rest is, you also know that it is nearly impossible for an arrow to fall off of or out of that rest. dont get me wrong the WB is a good rest and does what it is suppossed to do. drop aways are by far a more accurate rest than WB; what would be more accurate in your opinion an arrow that has friction and an obstacle to pass through before flight or an arrow that has nearly zero friction and is touched for less than an inch? less contact to the arrow provides better speed, accuracy and less noise. that is a fact that can not be argued.
both are good rest, it is just what you want want out of your bow shooting performance.
so..to the OP, if you are serious about making the best shot possible with your shooting ability, make your rest decision based on that.

also, arrows falling off of the rest while drawing or holding the bow back is a product of bad form.
yep.
Hey 308...like the pics of the kids...Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
308Havoc said:

I AGREE. I HAVE SEEN TO MANY PEOPLE SHOOTING TO HIGH OF POUNDAGE AND DRAWING AT THE SUN WHILE SHOOTING. AS THEY BRING THE BOW DOWN CLINK OFF GOES THE ARROW.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
I agree with what you are saying to a degree 308.

However, I'm not buying the speed factor at all, easy ways around this. And are you really that concerned about 1 fps? Also, don't most drop aways, including the Quad Ultra use a cord of some kind? This can effect speed and cause additional noise problems.

I've not had any problems or heard of others having problems with accuracy.

And as far as bad form and arrows falling off during the draw.... That I agree with, but you could have problems with losing an arrow just by grabbing the bow and getting into position for the shot.

And as far a noise is concerned the Whisker Biscuit makes no noise whatsoever.

Plus the WB is by far the easiest rest to set up and the it's very lightweight.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I personally switched from a QAD LD Pro drop away back to a whisker biscuit. No differance in accuaracy for me and the 1 to 2 fps loss is worth the piece of mind of knowing nothing can go wrong with my rest while I'm looking through my pins at a big buck. I shot a WB for years and put the QAD on my new bow this spring. Just didn't have the confidence in it as I had with the WB. It's now a $129 ornament on my work bench.

IMO, anyone who has accuracy problems with a WB will likely have the same problems with a drop away.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I gained 18 fps on mine changing from the biscuit to the drop away. Nothing else changed.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've been using the WB for 7 years now and I thought since I was going to be getting new arrows this year that I would also switch to a drop away, but I just can't see fixing something that isn't broken.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts