The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I get rotator surgery. I've toyed with the X-bow idea for awhile now. Don't know when or if I'll get out to get one. I know I'll be laid up for weeks. My buddy has a Ten Point but highly recommends their Wicked Ridge bows. I read the posts on here and know there are lots of good and some bad bows/customer service.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Really depends on what you want to spend. The Wicked Ridge line has been dependable and not that much money. Step up from there to the new Horton Ultralight, TenPoint Titan. From there the Mission crossbows are great bows and reliable. TenPoint Shadow and Stealth. For recurve bows the Excalibur Micro and Matrix are exceptional. Wider than the others and louder, but super easy to maintain.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
dpms said:
Really depends on what you want to spend. The Wicked Ridge line has been dependable and not that much money. Step up from there to the new Horton Ultralight, TenPoint Titan. From there the Mission crossbows are great bows and reliable. TenPoint Shadow and Stealth. For recurve bows the Excalibur Micro and Matrix are exceptional. Wider than the others and louder, but super easy to maintain.
Spot on advice.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can afford to buy any bow. But knowing me I'll probally go middle of the price range. I'm sitting here half woozy with my arm trussed to my side. Doc says its been torn awhile and he had to macramae the cuff back together. He said if I don't listen and mess it up he won't be able to fix it again. 12 wks. recovery now. Looks bad for archery season this year.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Been there done that. Do yourself a favor and LISTEN to the Dr. A guy my Wife knows had his done the same day as me....he did not listen and would not do his rehab therapy at home and his shoulder froze up. Then he had to endure the pain all over again by them going back in. Once was enough for me!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just upgraded from a Parker Enforcer to a Mission MDX 360. Excellent Crossbow, light, narrow, quiet, and shoots darts out to 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mission is in consideration whenever I recover. I shoot a Mission Eliminator and love it. The money I make mowing lawns partime is my mad money. Wife says thats yours to spend on yourself. Keeps the truck in gas and me in hunting gear.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
If you like the Missions once you see them, I would recommend the 360. I have the 400 and it is too much bow, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I have a Matrix 330, my second Excal. Totally trouble free and excellent shooting bows. They r so easy to care for and have ready to shoot. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Whats everyones recommendations on the Barnett lineup?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'd recommend the missions...I don't own one,cause I shoot a TP,but I shot the missions and its an awsome xbow and limbs are adjustable and its sweetly smooth...I may get one for Christmas..:)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Thanks guys, going with a Barnett, picking it up later this week.

Hopefully we have as much luck with it as my son and I have with our Horton.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Treemouse...

even though I own a parker..(which I love) I recommend the Excalibur line like the Matrix 380 less hassle, one string DIY string replacement. no cams no pins etc...
good luck on your rehab.. guess all those Pinchot hybrids took a toll on your shoulder

If you can't use your hunting spot this year let me know

·
Registered
539 Posts
I personally think the reverse limb x bows are the way to go.
for several reasons
first maybe being there quieter, second the balance of them is a HUGE difference
most X bow, if your honest are rather awkward things to hold and shoot, all the more so if you have a deer walking in slow on you and your up in a tree stand that doesn't have shooting rails.

until I shot one I didn't think it was that much of a difference, BUT after shooting and carrying one, I wouldn't want a traditional one ever again!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff, I only got down there 4 times this year. Hooked one hybrid and lost it. Paddling the yak and casting, too much pain. Heck, I can't drive for 6 wks. I'll go up to Baker's and try different bows when I'm able.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts