The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a new rifle soon. I have it narrowed down to the Remington SPS Stainless and the Savage 16. Which would you choose and why??

·
Registered
239 Posts
I own several remingtons. so that being said with all of the quality issues surrounding remington and for the money i would go savage right now. Remington just ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would buy the 700. I have yet to get a bad one and the total is more than a few. That being said, Savage is a great rifle too. Buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm not sure I'll ever buy another rifle except a Savage. Insanely accurate.

And being able to adjust the accu-trigger yourself is a huge advantage, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
wdchuckhuntr said:
RobOz said:
Buy what makes you feel warn and fuzzy inside.
+1
+2
Since I started buying Savages a couple years ago and saw how accurate they were I gravitate towards them now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love my Remington's savages shoot awesome and sre proven to be great rifles I just think the head of the bolt and safety is ugly. I'm a Remington Winchester and Ruger guy

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have 4 Remington 700 SPS and all of them are very accurate with no issues. I haven't had any of the "quality" problems that some seem to get wrapped up in.
For me it's a no brainer in getting the Rem. Plus I can't stand the accutrugger.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
J7knight said:
I love my Remington's savages shoot awesome and sre proven to be great rifles I just think the head of the bolt and safety is ugly. I'm a Remington Winchester and Ruger guy
g
I agee with this statement but to each their own - they are both fine rifles and I feel either would be a good choice. You need to handle each and buy the one you are most comfortable with

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Buy what fits the best. I have a rems and a savage. My savage shoot better than the rem. Pick what you like you most likely wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Had service problem with Savage 23 years ago But I don't forget so Remington for me . I have 2 SS SPS's both shoot under MOA at 100 Great guns

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
kudu58 said:
I have 4 Remington 700 SPS and all of them are very accurate with no issues. I haven't had any of the "quality" problems that some seem to get wrapped up in.
For me it's a no brainer in getting the Rem. Plus I can't stand the accutrugger.
Same here,I bought a model 7 and a mountain rifle during the past few years.Both are accurate and I haven't noticed any quality control issues.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like my savage model 10 very accurate and because of the barrel nut system mine is now a switch barrel set up. If you have some mechanical abilities and the proper tools you can swap barrels as youd like. Guess you can do it on a 700 but its plain simple on my savage

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Both are mechanically sound rifles, both are very accurate rifles. If you're going on aesthetics, the Remington wins the show. The 700 barreled action is just plain good looking. I think it's the cleanest and best looking ever made.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I am a Savage nut myself...I have had a handful of the 700 rems and they are fine rifles, but when I spend my money today...it will be Savage all the way, so much versatility, adjustability, change barrels yourself...put any kind of trigger you want on it....just an all around user friendly rifle.

Bluedog

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
farmerbrown said:
Theres a reason why the 700 is the most copied bolt action in the world.
Uhhhhhh, Mauser? every hear of that one?????

Given the two choices I'd take the Savage. Reasons: I'm not a fan of Remington, Savage has taken great steps in recent history to make a nicer rifle(they're not just 'hardwood' stocked beaters anymore), the Savage is 'convertible' to other calibers by the user, the trigger is adjustable without voiding the warranty.

That said, I'd take a Browning over either, but that wasn't the question!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Personally I don't like the "accu trigger". I prefer a normal one that I can feel. The accu feels almost to me like pulling two triggers at once. I have a model 7 in a 7mm08 That my pap bought when it first came out. I lost track on how many deer it shot

1 - 20 of 32 Posts