The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a walnut stock that I'm just about ready to apply stain to it. My local gunshop has the birchwood casey in walnut water base, only.
What do you guy's think of water base stain? Is it as durable, look as good, or wear off sooner than oil base? I am not familar with water base, but more so with oil base.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
stain it with the water, then give it as much linseed as it will drink, buff to a high gloss. alot of knife guys will also use carnuba after a stain. Some folks use bees wax...look at some of the knife finishing forums too...those guys know how to preserve unstabilized wood

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I use oil based stain only. It appears to be more compatable with the linseed oil. Water based is fine if you are sealing it with a syn poly finish (really a decent finish for a working beauty gun). I like satin when using poly finish.
there are EPA reasons why they are starting to only sell water based stain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you must add stain to walnut
then I would stick with oil-based, and use an oil finish [like tru-oil or minwax antique oil finish] over it. Some folks into milsurps would use a 3 part oil consisting of 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 beeswax, and 1/3 turpentine, for a soft, deep lutre finish that penetrates the wood, and is easily recoated down the road.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Minwax atique oil works great over stain.
You can apply it with a rag, very easy to work with.
Whats great about it is you can go to a satin to a high gloss finish depending on the amount of coats you apply. Between coates buff down with 0000 steel wool and use a Tac rag to remove any debree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts