The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about the new Savage A22 or possibly one made by CZ

to be used for fox, coyote, small game (when legal)

anybody have hands on experience ?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
H&K Model 300 if you can find one.

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe something affordable :) gunbroker has one for $1,700 and the magazines are listed for $395.00 must be a nice gun

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
It is nice but I had no idea they were going for that kind of money.

I had a friend who had one and I always liked it.

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wonder why the MRI has this statement:

"This rifle is designed to shoot 40 grain and 50 grain ammo ONLY. Firing 30 grain ammo will void the warranty."

not enough "oomph" to reliably cycle the action ?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
i wonder why the MRI has this statement:

"This rifle is designed to shoot 40 grain and 50 grain ammo ONLY. Firing 30 grain ammo will void the warranty."

not enough "oomph" to reliably cycle the action ?
Interesting. I can see ammo with lighter bullets causing a function problem but why would it "void the warranty". Maybe too much recoil energy?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I don't understand how a lighter bullet will have more recoil energy.

If you shot ammo with 30 grain bullets, how would they ever know?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
I should have said recoil velocity.

I would like to know the reason.

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just called magnum research technical department, they say the 30 grain actually has higher pressures than the higher weight bullets. this issue creates hard cycling. ruger had the same problems in their 10-22 mags

MRI has a gas release to deal with the higher pressures but still says it will void the warranty. nice fellow to talk to.

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Thanks Bohunr!

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very welcome. if the rest of the company is as friendly an informative as that guy, i think i'll save a few more pennies and buy their .22 mag

Hornady makes a 22 mag 45 grain ftx critical defense bullet that leaves a wound channel almost as big as a .380

their v-max is 30 grain, that would void the warranty :(

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I was looking at the cz 512 and the Remington 572 ( I think that's the #).

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
according to bryce towsley (?) he wrote an article claiming that the savage A22 is the most accurate semi auto 22 mag he has ever shot.

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very informative, like I mentioned, I have one and absolutely love it
if you dont mind, how is the accuracy at 100 yards ? what brand, grain ammo ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Can't say I ever shot it for accuracy, I set it up for my son, he uses it to plink with, mostly cans at close distance and we have a dueling tree we play with. It's not the 22 mag, it's the tactical with a carbon fiber barrel, as far as ammo, we've run everything though it from the cheapest you can buy to match grade Eley and never had cycling problems. If the weather holds out this weekend I'll print a couple groups and let you know

·
Registered
18,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i was at Field and Stream today and the guy at the gun counter said he spoke with a WCO and the word is that Semi autos will be allowed for coyote and smaller sized animals, and for a 3 year study period. if all goes well the regulation will become permanent and maybe expanded. if things dont go well, the regulation can be removed from the books.

i am assuming that the "dont go well" part was meant to be hunting accidents, spray and pray incidents, people caught with more than a 5 round magazine, etc...

thats another thing the guy at the counter said concerning the use of Ruger 10/22. they have a 10 round mag, if Ruger or someone doesnt make a 5 round mag, they wont be legal to use. I think the MRI 22 mag has a 10 round magazine too.

UPDATE: Ruger makes a 5 round mag for the 10/22 :) midway has them

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
where did the 5 round mag limit come from? never heard that one before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts