The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new rifle in a .243 youth. I'm considering a Savage Axis, Marlin X7Y or a Mossberg. I know these are the low end rifles so to speak, but which one is better quality than the other?

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I bought the Axis camo youth combo for my son and so far we are 100% pleased.The Marlin too is an excellent rifle.But it like the Mossberg has a blind mag if that is a consideration to you.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
My Marlin is rock solid. I'd go with the Savage or Marlin and skip the Mossberg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My buddy bought a Savage Axis .243 for his daughter. When we were sighting it in he shot a 3-shot group that we could darn near cover with a quarter at 100 yds. With hornady factory ammo. I was impressed!!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Of those 3 I would choose the Savage but the quality of all the budget guns is the Ruger American compact.
Better bolt and adjustible trigger

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I bought a Savage Model 110 .243 for my first rifle. That was 51 years ago and I still own it. Also own several other Savages and they are all shooters. I like the Savages and the .243 is a good deer/ground hog cartridge. I've always liked the tang safety on the Savages.

·
Banned
751 Posts
i have owned all three, in order of preference
1.marlin, because of the pro fire trigger
2. savage because it is absolutely lights out accurate, con is the trigger is straight crap and not very easy to adjust, it can be done however you need to snip a spring
3. mossberg, never own one again with the other options available, chincy, rough feeding, and no resale whatsoever.

hope that helps, lenny

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just bought an Axis in. 223. A simple fix for the trigger is to replace the spring with one from a retractable ink pen.
Awesome gun for $400 with a scope.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
hankster said:
Of those 3 I would choose the Savage but the quality of all the budget guns is the Ruger American compact.
Better bolt and adjustible trigger
x2

I was in the same situation and compared a few Savages and the Ruger American. I went with the American. Great budget rifle. I got it for my beat around gun and for youth to use. If I need to go rifle hunting next year, my Ruger American .243 might be getting used instead of my Remi 7600 30.06.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts