The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've heard some great things on the new 6.5 creedmoor so the new gun this year will be in a 6.5 creedmoor. 2 rifle choices i'm looking at are the Thompson center Percision Hunter and the Savage lightweight Hunter. The Tc Percision hunter is a Varmitter Style rifle. but the savage Hunter Comes in a 5.5 pounds both are in the same Weight Range. Not looking for imput on the round idc what people think about the cartridge i know some people will be like wth are you getting that caliber for. Just llooking for imput on which rifle you would wanna buy.

guy i know shot one at a Turkey shoot during thanksgiving and said the round did awesome at long ranges so i'm excited to get it and shoot it at a deer next year.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Dang, both very viable options. I'd lean ///////// Savage.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
from the web sites it looks to me like the savage is a lot lighter with a skinny barrel. this may affect the hot barrel grouping. the t/c is about 3lbs heavier with a heavy barrel. for long range shots the t/c would probably out shoot the savage. but if you're looking for a light carrying gun the savage would be better.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Though not a Savage fan I'ed go with it from your 2 picks. BUT if I were to buy new gun in a Cmoor I'ed look real hard at a Hawkeye Ruger with the 24" barrels, anyways welcome to the Cmoor crowed, enjoy....later

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Savage would be my choice very accurate same hole at 100 yds I also like the spiral bolt and the lightened action

·
Banned
238 Posts
With the recent recall on the TC venture rifles i would be a little leary on buying any TC rifles for a little while now. Im so glad I didnt make that impulse buy back in August of the 25-06 venture in weathershield as it was on the recall list, unfortunatetly my buddy wasn't so lucky with his in 7mm.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Although I will add my savage model 16 WW 243 is a dead eye they are great shooting guns

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
T C should stick with black powdwe IMO....later
They don't even do that right anymore. How many models of TRADTIONAL ML's do they offer? Back to your question. I would not buy either. I would buy a Ruger 77.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I was watching "The Gun Nutz" just the other night on the outdoor channel. The "new gun" test was the Savage lightweight hunter.

They tested it in .308. Now, Savage has lightened up everything on this rifle including machining out any excess receiver metal, any excess stock wood, and has put on a pencil thin barrel.

The test showed that a 3 shot 100 yard group gave just a tad over a 1" group. That was darn good for a rifle with a pencil thin barrel.

Bottom line to the Savage is it's a great gun to haul around the woods all day....and it will give you 3 or 4 consecutive shots in 1.25" or less at 100 yards.....which is plenty to bring down a whitetail.....but if your looking for a 10 to 15 shot repeater that will give you one ragged hole, the lightweight hunter is not the rifle.

It has a specific purpose...hunting!!! And it's darn good at that.

SW

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I will have to throw Ruger into the mix now. all 3 rifles will be priced about the same. But i do like ruger i know some friends that own rugers and they like them. My dad has a tc Icon in .243 and i shot it at the range and like it besides how heavy it is. buti'm young so weight doesnt really bother me. but i like tc because i cant get it with a composite stock havent look at ruger but they are known for wood stocks and so are savage. so i'll have to look at them again. I do like the accu-trigger on the savage. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
The recall was with the Venture only.Savage makes a great rifle,but don,t discount the Icon,it is a very well made great shootin rifle.What does your dad think of his?Don,t use weight as a sole factor unless you are comparin them equally.Like barrel type,length,etc.Also the quality and type of wood used.I know T/C uses hi quality Walnut for it,s furniture.Not sayin Savage doesn,t,but some models use different grades.You can get cheaper,less dense wooden stocks even in the same type of wood.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts