The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
It depends on the thickness of the jacket and most,not all 125gr .308 bullets are designed for varmints.You can have some serious over expansion and penetration problems on deer.When my son was 9,I loaded some 125gr accubonds for his .308 and they performed really good.That's a bonded bullet though.It would most likely work some of the time but not all of the time.

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
Just about any bullet put in the right place will kill a deer every time.It still wouldn't make it a good choice because bullets don't always go where they're supposed to.Between the two of us,my son and I have killed a half dozen or so deer with a .223 using 55gr Barnes ttsx and we didn't have to chase a single one.All were carefully placed,relatively easy shots.A .223 is be effective on deer when conditions are right but I'd hardly call it ideal for deer.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Just about any bullet put in the right place will kill a deer every time.It still wouldn't make it a good choice because bullets don't always go where they're supposed to.Between the two of us,my son and I have killed a half dozen or so deer with a .223 using 55gr Barnes ttsx and we didn't have to chase a single one.All were carefully placed,relatively easy shots.A .223 is be effective on deer when conditions are right but I'd hardly call it ideal for deer.
Exactly my point. And a .375 Holland with a 300 grain Barnes TSX in the wrong place will not kill a deer just because it's a heavy caliber with a premium bullet.
And that's why your comment about a premium bullet makes no sense to me. By your own admission here, "just about any bullet in the right spot will kill." So if the bullet isn't in the right spot, why would a premium bullet be of any help? It won't.
For me, premium bullets are most beneficial when you are using a caliber/cartridge that is light for the job at hand.
To each their own though. Lot's of folks use the premiums. If it makes them feel better, good for them.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Let's not forget it's also bad ju-ju to put a fast, lightly constructed and/or low SD bullet in the wrong place, or into the wrong animal...
I've seen 245gr soft clad lead 50 cal bullets pushed by 150gr of pyrodex practically vaporize on a deer's shoulder...
I've seen 55gr and 62gr premium 223 bullets mushroom beautifully, completely penetrate deer and drop them on the spot.
Matching the impact velocity range of a bullet and its expansion to your quarry and expected distances is important, especially if you are one to push the envelope...
But for most typical PA hunting situations, you're hard pressed to find ammo on the local stores shelves in your caliber that won't work well if you put it through the vitals. (Assuming you can find hunting rifle ammo at all right now. 'Round here, literally the only thing I've found on the shelves is 350 Legend.... so much so that I'm toying with buying a rifle just to try it.)

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
Exactly my point. And a .375 Holland with a 300 grain Barnes TSX in the wrong place will not kill a deer just because it's a heavy caliber with a premium bullet.
And that's why your comment about a premium bullet makes no sense to me. By your own admission here, "just about any bullet in the right spot will kill." So if the bullet isn't in the right spot, why would a premium bullet be of any help? It won't.
For me, premium bullets are most beneficial when you are using a caliber/cartridge that is light for the job at hand.
To each their own though. Lot's of folks use the premiums. If it makes them feel better, good for them.
I disagree.I've seen many problems over the years with a lack of penetration and have never seen a problem with too much penetration.A premium bullet will penetrate better.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I disagree.I've seen many problems over the years with a lack of penetration and have never seen a problem with too much penetration.A premium bullet will penetrate better.
I am fine that people disagree with me. Like I said, to each their own. My question to you was, "What good does that premium bullet do you if it was placed in the wrong spot?" And we all know the answer to that.

Anyone who uses a reasonable cartridge and bullet weight combination for deer hunting will not have any issues killing that deer with proper shot placement. Style points do not enter the equation if the deer is dead. You can choose the way that you want to kill deer, but that does not make it the only way that it can be done.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Where talking about a thin skin animal,Deer! Lack of penetration shouldn't be a problem with any bullet be it factory or reloads on a 30-06. Only time I would be worry is on dangerous game or thick skin animal when you need to crack some bones to slow them down or finish them off. Then you would need the best of the best.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Where talking about a thin skin animal,Deer! Lack of penetration shouldn't be a problem with any bullet be it factory or reloads. Only time I would be worry is on dangerous game or thick skin game when you need to crack some bones to slow them down or finish them off. Then you would need the best of the best.
It's all relative. If someone is using a .22 centerfire or even a .243, then yes I agree with a premium. The OP specified a .30-06 with 150 to 180 grain bullets. And no, you absolutely do not need premiums in that combo to kill a deer. And you will not have penetration issues with either of those. Even if it didn't pass completely through, it will still kill that deer with room to spare.

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
I've seen penetration issues with 150gr cl and I've seen penetration issues with ballsistic tips as well.Back in 2000,I bought the first stainless stalker in 300 wsm that Grice gun shop got in.Ammo wasn't available but the dies were so I worked up a load with some 165gr ballistic tips.They shot good so I took that rifle out the first day of bear season.Just after 1st light a really nice bear was standing broadside at about 50 yards in the open.With a solid rest on my knee,I shot.The bear,dropped got up and spun around while trying to bite at it's side.It was quickly lost in a clearcut so I sat for about 30 minutes before tying my tag on him.I fully expected him to be within 50 yards but hours later at dark and very little blood,I was forced to give up.I've shot enough to know where my crosshairs are when the trigger breaks and I'm telling you,I hit that bear exactly where I was aiming.A week or so later,I'm in a treestand with a shooting rest when a doe comes bounding in and stops about 40 yards away.At the shot,she dropped and went flipping and rolling down a hill.Several of us tracked that deer for about a mile after giving her about an hour to die.No dice.Later that day,I shoot another doe at about 100 yards.At the shot that deer bolts with it's tail down but the fawn just stood there.I went down to where I found no blood but being positive I hit her,I followed the tracks in the kicked up wet leaves.I finally found that deer after every bit of 600 yards.There was no exit hole and I couldn't find a hole in the chest cavity when I gutted her.When I skinned that deerthere was fist sized hole under the hide but it never penetrated the chest cavity.After further examination,I found a chunk of the core,lodged under the hide in the front of the deer's neck.That bullet completely disintegrated.I've heard the horror stories and never would have believedit,had I not seen it myself.That winter I loaded up some 180gr inter locks and partitions.I made a box out of OSB and stuffed it with magazines.The partitions lost the front end but the base penetrated as designed.The interlocks lost their core but I still found a chunk of lead.The ballistic tips were literally dust,other than some fragments of the jacket.

When my son was 7,I loaded his .243 with 70gr ballistic tips.He shot a doe on the last day.At the shot,the doe jumped strait up in the air and took off out of sight.When we ent to the spot where the deer was standing,I found a clump of hair but no blood.To my surprise I saw something shiny in the snow and picked up a piece of the jacket.We gave that deer plenty of time but even with snow,it was hard to follow the tracks because of the number of other deer tracks.I went out the next morning and ended up stumbling upon her.The shot was a good lung shot but you could barely see the entrance wound and there was no exit.From my autopsy,it was obvious that the bullet fragmented upon impact and very little of it entered the chest cavity.No heavy bones were hit either,just ribs.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
When I did hunt with an ought six , I used 180 round nose. I always hunted the thick stuff.
The last 30 years I have used either a 308 or a 32 Winchester special. The 30-06 just became to heavy for everyday hunts. Still use the 180RN in the 308 and of course 170 flat tips in the 32. Still hunt the thick stuff, so being able to shoot more than 100 yard is no concern.

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I've seen penetration issues with 150gr cl and I've seen penetration issues with ballsistic tips as well.Back in 2000,I bought the first stainless stalker in 300 wsm that Grice gun shop got in.Ammo wasn't available but the dies were so I worked up a load with some 165gr ballistic tips.They shot good so I took that rifle out the first day of bear season.Just after 1st light a really nice bear was standing broadside at about 50 yards in the open.With a solid rest on my knee,I shot.The bear,dropped got up and spun around while trying to bite at it's side.It was quickly lost in a clearcut so I sat for about 30 minutes before tying my tag on him.I fully expected him to be within 50 yards but hours later at dark and very little blood,I was forced to give up.I've shot enough to know where my crosshairs are when the trigger breaks and I'm telling you,I hit that bear exactly where I was aiming.A week or so later,I'm in a treestand with a shooting rest when a doe comes bounding in and stops about 40 yards away.At the shot,she dropped and went flipping and rolling down a hill.Several of us tracked that deer for about a mile after giving her about an hour to die.No dice.Later that day,I shoot another doe at about 100 yards.At the shot that deer bolts with it's tail down but the fawn just stood there.I went down to where I found no blood but being positive I hit her,I followed the tracks in the kicked up wet leaves.I finally found that deer after every bit of 600 yards.There was no exit hole and I couldn't find a hole in the chest cavity when I gutted her.When I skinned that deerthere was fist sized hole under the hide but it never penetrated the chest cavity.After further examination,I found a chunk of the core,lodged under the hide in the front of the deer's neck.That bullet completely disintegrated.I've heard the horror stories and never would have believedit,had I not seen it myself.That winter I loaded up some 180gr inter locks and partitions.I made a box out of OSB and stuffed it with magazines.The partitions lost the front end but the base penetrated as designed.The interlocks lost their core but I still found a chunk of lead.The ballistic tips were literally dust,other than some fragments of the jacket.

When my son was 7,I loaded his .243 with 95gr ballistic tips.He shot a doe on the last day.At the shot,the doe jumped strait up in the air and took off out of sight.When we ent to the spot where the deer was standing,I found a clump of hair but no blood.To my surprise I saw something shiny in the snow and picked up a piece of the jacket.We gave that deer plenty of time but even with snow,it was hard to follow the tracks because of the number of other deer tracks.I went out the next morning and ended up stumbling upon her.The shot was a good lung shot but you could barely see the entrance wound and there was no exit.From my autopsy,it was obvious that the bullet fragmented upon impact and very little of it entered the chest cavity.No heavy bones were hit either,just ribs.

Are you going to tell us that someone who chooses a .30-06 with a 150 or 180 Rem core Lokt bullet is making a bad choice for PA deer hunting because of the examples that you posted?

You mis applied those bullets and had bad results. Everyone knows those early BT's had problems and that's why they were redesigned. Blistering those frangible bullets out and having high impact velocities at close range is a recipe for disaster. That is a very common mistake that many hunters make and then complain about.
I was in Africa with a guy who did the same thing. He shot 165 grain Hornady SST's at blistering speed from a .300 magnum and then wondered why a Blue wildebeest got away from him. Wildebeast are known for their legendary toughness. He made a bad choice and paid for it. So did the wildebeest.

There are certainly situations where premium bullets are called for. PA deer hunting is not one of them....unless you are shooting a combo that is light for the job.

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
Loaded 150gr Speer Hot Cor bullets for my farm boy cousin's ought six for many years. No issues, plenty of dead deer. Then my bud started bringing up two boxes of 150gr Core Lokts for deer seasons and spoiled him. Up side, no longer had to load his ammo. After my buddy passed away 20 years ago, I just kept up the Care Packages, until two years ago. Took several bucks myself years ago, with a M760 and 150gr Speers.

No one around here had 150gr Core Lokts, but Walmart had WW 150gr Power Points on sale. So that's what he gets now. His son has killed two bucks with them and likes them. I'll get them whatever I can find, before this deer season. One grandson has killed multiple deer with one of my ought sixes and both 150gr Core Lokts and the 150gr Power Points. Mostly a bow hunter, but he often borrows my rifle for doe seasons when he's llaready taken a bow buck.

As for 165 BTips, killed the heaviest buck to date (155lbs) with one, from a 30-06 back in the early 90s. One and done, no issues with any other deer kills and that load.

Probably killed more deer with 100gr Btips from two 25-06s, than anything else. Up close and beyond 500 yards. All but one were one shot kills (a dozen plus deer) and that was my fault. Got tired of waiting for a big doe to come out of some brush at 396 yards. Had to track her to finish her off.

Have also killed several deer with an 8x57 Mauser and 125gr Hornady spire points. More accurate than any of the heavier bullets I'd loaded for that rifle and ain't had one take a step after being hit with the 125. Including last season's doe at about 75 yards.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
None if the deer ends up dead. How much does it earn if you pass through both hams with a Barnes TSX and you get the same track job?
Anyone shooting a deer thru both hams (hind quarters) earns no style points at all. That’s a horrible shot. But a TSX will break both, that deer ain’t going 300 yards. Might drag itself 30.
A light for caliber round to the hams probably isn’t making past one, let alone thru both.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts