The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
Iv'e watched several perfectly placed lung shots on deer with those 180's, and those deer lived quite a while. Too stout a construction, penciled through with little damage. 150's expand much more quickly, leading to quicker kills on lung shot deer. Hit any bone and either will work fine, that's why I'd shoot forward with 180's. Ymmv

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Iv'e watched several perfectly placed lung shots on deer with those 180's, and those deer lived quite a while. Too stout a construction, penciled through with little damage. 150's expand much more quickly, leading to quicker kills on lung shot deer. Hit any bone and either will work fine, that's why I'd shoot forward with 180's. Ymmv
Were the 180’s PSPs or SPs? Just curious.
The PSPs I’ve used (165s and 180s almost interchangeably) have never failed to expand at any range I’ve hit with. Only ever recovered 1, in well over 100 deer killed though. Exits were always ~1”, sometimes a little bigger. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My family always shot the 150 grain out of our 06’s.
As a few others said…180’s to big and don’t open up as well on whitetail.
I’m from the smaller, faster, flat shooting hit hard camp. I like as much energy transferred into the deer as I can. I want take them off their hooves! I like a good bullet that expands well but stays together.
To me it’s one of the great things about hunting. Everyone can do it the way they feel confident in.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Sounds like everyone is happy and successful with whichever they choose. I personally use the 150s and see no reason to change. What would really be nice is if all these various weights were actually readily available again for less than a kings ransom.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
I just received an email from Roger's. They have Remington 30-06 Core-Lokt in stock. The price is high but they have it.

Reactions: octagon and bohunr

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
Were the 180’s PSPs or SPs? Just curious.
The PSPs I’ve used (165s and 180s almost interchangeably) have never failed to expand at any range I’ve hit with. Only ever recovered 1, in well over 100 deer killed though. Exits were always ~1”, sometimes a little bigger. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Both. The shooter I referred to isn't too picky, he'll mix and match. One big doe that I personally shot with his rifle never really acted like I hit her, he said shoot again you missed. 30 yds, quartering to, tight behind the shoulder. She jumped, the just wandered around for quite a while, stopped, then fell over. Little damage to the lungs and apparently little shock. That was a 180 round nose. No big deal, but in a crowded woods.....🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Both. The shooter I referred to isn't too picky, he'll mix and match. One big doe that I personally shot with his rifle never really acted like I hit her, he said shoot again you missed. 30 yds, quartering to, tight behind the shoulder. She jumped, the just wandered around for quite a while, stopped, then fell over. Little damage to the lungs and apparently little shock. That was a 180 round nose. No big deal, but in a crowded woods.....🤷‍♂️
Well, that's why they make them in different weights. So we can all find what works for us.
I typically load up with 165s, but when it's the overlap with bear, or if I'm running low/out of 165s, the 180s have been a go-to. It's usually bang-flop or a 20' stumble at most for me. (Well, the deer, not me... with my knees I tend to stumble a lot farther.)

·
Registered
24,049 Posts
when i get drawn for my PA elk license this year i plan on using my 06. what grain bullet would be good in a core-lokt ? i'm thinking 200 or 220, something more than a 150

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
when i get drawn for my PA elk license this year i plan on using my 06. what grain bullet would be good in a core-lokt ? i'm thinking 200 or 220, something more than a 150
If those elk are fattened up on donuts I would use the 200 grain. :D If normal weight then 180 or 200 would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
My very first buck I killed when I was 16 with my Rem 760 30-06 and 180 Core-lokt round noses. He came past at 75 yards and I put the crosshair on the lungs and pulled the trigger. He didn't appear hit and ran 150 yards. We found him laying next to a Beechnut tree looking at us. First shot was right where I wanted it but he did require a finisher

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you use a 150 grain bullet in a 30/06 with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS lots of hunters ( myself included) will advise you to go heavier say 180 grain. But if your shooting a .270 with a 150 gr. Bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS lots of hunters will tell you that’s perfect medicine???

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
If you use a 150 grain bullet in a 30/06 with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS lots of hunters ( myself included) will advise you to go heavier say 180 grain. But if your shooting a .270 with a 150 gr. Bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS lots of hunters will tell you that’s perfect medicine???
Sectional Density is real and significant.

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
I haven't shot a factory load in over 30 years but I've seen been on hand when plenty of deer were killed with 150gr and 180gr cl's.I've also cut up a pile of those deer and the ribs and shoulders were always full of blood shot,regardless of the bullet used out of a 30-06.I've never seen one fail to expand.They're thin jacketed cup and core bullets.that from what I've seen,have a tendency to loose their cores on a regular basis.I personally would never use them because there's far better choices that offer far more consistent results.That's not to say they won't work on deer because they obviously will as deer aren't very hard to kill.

I personally have never seen a deer survive for several minutes after being shot through the lungs with anything.Any bullet,even a full metal jacket through the lungs will almost immediately cease the lungs from working and no animal will live for several minutes without their lungs working.

I've heard several stories,almost always told the exact same way where a guy unloads his 30-06 with 180 gr bullets on a deer and it just keeps feeding before eventually falling over after being shot 4 or 5 times through the lungs.I never bought that story for a variety of reasons and never will.Strange things happen that can't be explained but any 180gr bullet through a deer's lungs will kill them with boring consistency.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Dad said use the 150's to shoot flatter , like his .270...

Now I use his .270 with 150's.

Last two bucks, no exit wounds.

One was up hill standing between two trees. Watched him walk there and hit just at the diaphragm, obliterating the liver and far lung, lodged in the far shoulder. Bang flop.

Last one, first shot at under 20 yards [snuck up behind me and didn't jet when I stood up] found a branch and slid along three ribs taking a chunk from the middle one.

He is running away and I'm trying for a quartering to shot when the sound of a truck coming down the road made him stop. Bang.

Watched him flinch a lot and start running. Found him just out of sight, again no exit and blood was pouring from his mouth.

Came in thru the right lung, split the bottom of the heart and lodged in the left shoulder.

This deer was only about 50 yards and a level shot while the other was closer to 80 - 90 yards so the bullet speed didn't change that much.

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
I'm sure thousands of elk have been killed with a 150gr cl.However,for a once in a lifetime tag,I'd spend a little extra money and use a 180gr bonded bullet, or a Barnes TTSX,whichever would shoot best in your rifle.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I shot my first PA elk (425 pounds) with a .30-06 and factory loaded 180 grain Winchester Power Point. She was about 75 yards away broadside and I double lunged her with one shot. Got a complete pass through. She ran about 30 yards and fell right over. No problem.

Shot my second PA elk (580 pounds) with a .300 WinMag and hand loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. She was 150 yards away, broadside and I double lunged her with one shot. Got a complete pass through. She ran about 30 yards and fell over. No problem.

If you can shoot, even elk do not require premium bullets. Put it where it needs to be and the result is not in doubt. People get WAY too worked up about what they shoot critters with. I shot my Alaskan grizzly with a cup and core bullet - Hornady Interlock....and lived to tell about it...

To the OP, shoot whatever you want. It doesn't matter. Any .30-06 core lokt bullet from 150 up to 180 grains (as specified) will kill deer until the cows come home and then some.....

41 - 60 of 85 Posts