The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Back before I started reloading my own I used 180 gr. Core Lokts as they were the most accurate out my old Rem. ADL 30/06. But found out the 165 gr. had a little better edge for the 06 so I just stuck with the 165 gr. Never liked the 150, always seemed to ruin to much meat.
I found that to be the same in the .270 Win 130 grain rounds, too much damage. I use 150`s in .270 and 180 in 30/06.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Used 150's for over 40 years never had a problem. Bought a couple of boxes of 125s preparing for an anti-goat hunt long ago and far away. Don't know what I was thinking. Really no better down range performance, as far as drop, than 150s. Did not group well at all.
I don't care what weight bullet you use in what caliber. Any bullet traveling over 2000 fps when you hit bone you are going to tear up some meat. Shoot em in the pocket and you will never loose one.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My cousin uses a Remington 700 and the 150 psp, he has made some awesome long range field shots on the farm we hunt. He sets on an old tree stump in the middle of the pasture, it is 450 yds each way to the woods line. Several times over the years I have been watching a buck feeding several hundred yards in the field from my treestand down in the hollow and I hear him shoot and I watch the buck go down.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I have zero numbers to back this thought up, but I’ve long believed (after having spent countless hours at PGC ranges and listening to gun shop banter) that the vast majority of hunters never try any ammo brand/weight other than whatever they bought when they purchased their rifles.
They get it on paper, sometimes even zeroed, and hunt, never knowing what their rifle is truly capable of, or if there’s better performing options out there.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Iv'e seen some slow kills with 180's, with the 150's that never seems to be an issue. Better shoot forward with the 180's.
A bad hit is a bad hit with any projectile...
I've seen plenty, with a very wide range of calibers and projectiles, back when we had 20+ in the hunting group....
One guy in particular changed rifles and/or ammo every season looking for the magic bullet, but his shooting was so poor that he'd find a way to wound and lose one with a 50BMG.
Put it through the heart/lungs, doesn't matter if it's 150gr 06 or 220gr, it isn't going far at all.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
And there is quite a difference in internal damage between the two which explains all that needs explained

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
And there is quite a difference in internal damage between the two which explains all that needs explained
Quite a bit of external damage difference too.
Guessing your results were close range?
I’ve never had one go 100 yards with 180’s, whether 80 yards away or 350.
I have seen 150’s fail to go deep enough at 200 yards and leave a 400 yard trail though.
This isn’t a criticism. Just an observation.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts